Notices

Omegis RA to Evo X swap progress

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adog
Is it a big difference?
Very noticeable. Just fine tuning the 3-port now. No knocks but need to get AFR in better tune.

On a side note, transmission had been generating a place to leak, so car is at the dealer getting looked at. Was planning to change transmission fluid/filter at 15k but looks like 13k is the lucky number. Dealership seems cool. Thought I was at a car show when all the mechanics and service techs came checking out my car and it's tasteful mods.

Last edited by omegis; Dec 26, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by omegis
Using an X swap map from English Racing.

Mods on 93 octane:
Evo X turbo
Evo X FMIC
Evo IX BOVno
Stock RA injectors
K&N SRIno
Grimmspeed 3-port EBCSno
UR short downpipe no
UR resonated test pipeno
UR UICP no
UR LICP no
I dont have all those moods but i see you get already tuned. how hp you got?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Very noticeable. Just fine tuning the 3-port now. No knocks but need to get AFR in better tune.

On a side note, transmission had been generating a place to leak, so car is at the dealer getting looked at. Was planning to change transmission fluid/filter at 15k but looks like 13k is the lucky number. Dealership seems cool. Thought I was at a car show when all the mechanics and service techs came checking out my car and it's tasteful mods.
You have a leak in your trans? I also had one too and im going to get it replaced under warranty
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by masafina
I dont have all those moods but i see you get already tuned. how hp you got?
@Masafina: Idk yet. Transmission started leaking before I got a good 3rd gear run. Once I get the car back and the tune just right, I'll post a Virtual Dyno sheet.

@Pbassist12: Dealer seemed to think its a quick seal fix, if that. Doesn't seem catastrophic since car has been shifting fine. Just means I end up changing fluids a little earlier than planned. Was already planning on SST fluid change in February.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

@Pbassist12: Dealer seemed to think its a quick seal fix, if that. Doesn't seem catastrophic since car has been shifting fine. Just means I end up changing fluids a little earlier than planned. Was already planning on SST fluid change in February.
yeah I am actually going in tomorrow, they are changing the SST filter housing so will seee. I didnt see anything bad and I noticed it was leaking a little when I did my SST flush
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pbassist12
yeah I am actually going in tomorrow, they are changing the SST filter housing so will seee. I didnt see anything bad and I noticed it was leaking a little when I did my SST flush
Service department called today and said they've got to call tech. Seals are kaput. Won't get car back until after the 3rd since tech is on vacation.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Needs new transmission
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, what a waste of a tranny over some seals. That's like throwing away an engine cuz it needs a new head gasket
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Wow, what a waste of a tranny over some seals. That's like throwing away an engine cuz it needs a new head gasket
Pretty much. Was just telling people that. Now the waiting game begins.

On a good note, at least this Mitsubishi service department has been cool about things. Bonus if they give me a loaner.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

another tranny, that sounds bad
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Good news is it's going to be covered under warranty. Expecting it to be in Thursday, manual calls for 18hrs labor, and hopefully done by end of Friday. No rush though.

Also, learned a lot of info that can be considered old or new.

We know the transmission is 3 yrs. old (to Mitsubishi) and Mitsubishi is still trying to understand it, which is why there are stories of transmission replacement for what you'd think are simple fixes. Parts have to be either rented or purchased by dealers to work on the SST, but since there's no formal training available yet for techs, it's easier to replace the $12k transmission than fix an internal issue. To me, that's a poor business model, but I guess these transmission aren't changed very much.

03chi, please feel free to comment on that, or anyone else that's familiar with Mitsubishi technician work.

And yes, I know I've hijacked my own thread, but it'll provide me a reference point for later if questions are asked. Also, another piece of info I learned was based on the ECU, but I'll touch more on that subject once I get my car back.

Last edited by omegis; Jan 3, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

the OEM seals are a complete joke. many of them break/wear out, and apparently there are a lot of SST's out there still running fine on worn out seals. (yes some SST's can run without codes as such). I got to see them in person at SSP-TX

I see a lot of customers come to SSP expecting just to buy clutches, but the seals are more important than anything else. hard to swallow the extra, unexpected cost - but if you're going to open up the transmission anyway...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

How much can seals really be, couple hundred bucks?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

SSP sells them for $550 so I'd think they cost less than $12,000.

Ultimately, what the tech thinks it is (seals) and what Mitsubishi finds out when they get my old SST and dissect it may end up being two different things. Just wish they would provide dealership techs the training and tools to diagnose things at the lower level, rather than slap a new SST on. Then again, my opinions are also based on limited knowledge.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
How much can seals really be, couple hundred bucks?
the most infuriating thing about it is that it probably cost Getrag sub-$100. it's such a cheap seal, but just because getrag has such a hardon for their own technology, we don't get access to parts yet. almost disheartening for SST owners

Quick Reply: Omegis RA to Evo X swap progress