Notices

Omegis RA to Evo X swap progress

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by omegis

Yep, looks like boost is beating the drop in AFR but no knock so far.
Just because there isn't knock, doesn't meant it's safe. I wish the internet could erase one piece of misinformation, that one.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Just because there isn't knock, doesn't meant it's safe. I wish the internet could erase one piece of misinformation, that one.
Forgot to mention at 13.2:1 with that much boost, probably not great with heat. Aaron just sent me v5 with it richer in that range so more logging tomorrow. It'll get there. Already impressed by the power improvement so far.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

^hey bro ive been following your build but for some reason i never asked before, but when removing the turbo whether the ralliart or installing the x. I always see the two studs in the turbo and two in the manifold..are those not removable from the pieces they are attached to? just curious because i dont want to try to unbolt something and have it break. lol
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snipingdude
^hey bro ive been following your build but for some reason i never asked before, but when removing the turbo whether the ralliart or installing the x. I always see the two studs in the turbo and two in the manifold..are those not removable from the pieces they are attached to? just curious because i dont want to try to unbolt something and have it break. lol
The pairing of the turbo and exhaust manifold was weird at first for me, primarily during removal and installation. If you're looking at the top, you've got two studs and two holes.
The two studs on the turbo, for me, were non-removable. Those are held to the exhaust manifold by nuts. The two holes are held down by bolts.

Granted I completed the install during Christmas holidays, but it was a miserable few days for the swap even following instructions, so that info is based on memory. Bad luck maybe since I've read others have an easier time.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, make sure once everything is complete that you check for leaks when you first run the car. Found a small leak and had to get back to the turbo and put a little extra torque on the bolts.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

New tune fixed the AFR. Haven't done a proper 3rd gear WOT log yet (more on that in a minute). Based on what I have logged, highest AFR hits at 20+ PSI is 12.1:1 but keeps a nice smooth drop into mid- to low-11's.

From a dead stop in Sport/Auto, the car launches like a bat out of hell. It's definitely a noticeable improvement. Can't imagine what it'd be like on E85 or running a higher flow turbo. Definitely a worthy investment. Going from the RA turbo to the X turbo is a world of difference.

Now, reason for my paranoia. I'm fully aware of all the weird sounds the RA and SST makes so I've become used to it, but lately it's developed a new sound that's been puzzling me. It's not boost leak because I've tightened every connection down as much as possible. It's almost like a drone that stands out separately from the sound of the K&N cone filter. Thinking it's an exhaust leak somewhere, so this weekend I'm planning on torquing my exhaust connections down. Could be nothing since I haven't lost power, boost is stable, and I'm not dumping fluids or merging them where they don't belong. But I'd rather be safe than sorry before exploring high RPMs again.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

The X-turbo makes a completely different sound while under boost/spooling, mine does the same thing. Not sure if it's "that type of sound" you are referring to tho?
I get a very noticeable sound when accelerating from a dead stop, until I build positive boost pressure. I'm convinced it's air passing around the flapper while there isn't enough pressure to seal it.

Last edited by sstevojr; Jan 19, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
The X-turbo makes a completely different sound while under boost/spooling, mine does the same thing. Not sure if it's "that type of sound" you are referring to tho?
I get a very noticeable sound when accelerating from a dead stop, until I build positive boost pressure. I convinced it's air passing around the flapper while there isn't enough pressure to seal it.
That's probably what it is. Hard to describe but it's like a droning suction sound, especially in low RPMs, and even more so when not warmed up. Probably just another sound to get used to. Runs great though.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Ain't it great!
The TD04 feels super peaky, flat power for a 1k rpm, then drops like a rock
The TD05 feels strong, with a consistent climb in power for 3k rpm, before leveling off. This engine really loves to be revved out, which works better with a climbing vs falling power band
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

That's probably what it is. Hard to describe but it's like a droning suction sound, especially in low RPMs, and even more so when not warmed up. Probably just another sound to get used to. Runs great though.
is the evo x turbo that makes that sound
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by masafina
is the evo x turbo that makes that sound
Haven't been able to conclude that's the source just yet. It's noticeable while driving but hard to pinpoint when parked and revving the car up.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Haven't been able to conclude that's the source just yet. It's noticeable while driving but hard to pinpoint when parked and revving the car up.
soundclip???
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Can't get a good sound clip. Check exhaust and seems tightened up real good. Starting to think it's just the drone from the Ultimate Racing downpipe I put on during the swap.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Can't get a good sound clip. Check exhaust and seems tightened up real good. Starting to think it's just the drone from the Ultimate Racing downpipe I put on during the swap.
Your thread makes it very hard not to go this route with the ralliart safe, effective power for a dd, love it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jechttt
Your thread makes it very hard not to go this route with the ralliart safe, effective power for a dd, love it.
For what it's worth, it's a very cost effective upgrade.

Last edited by omegis; Jan 23, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

For what it's worth, it's a very cost effective upgrade.
Hey Omegis..sorry for another ? lol, but you bought your turbo used correct? Did it have "some" shaft play? Im looking at some used turbos and prettym uch all of them have "some" "minimal" shaft play not hitting the turbine...now i know this is normal for the turbo as long as there is no IN/OUT play it should be good, just curious if your had "some" at all

Quick Reply: Omegis RA to Evo X swap progress