Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
barely heard it, the sound i heard is not a normal occurrence.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's the noise at the beginning of the video definitelly not right. What I hear every morning are more like clanging noises from gear changes. This sounds more like a bad gear shift on a standard manual. Get it checked.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
ltn

Yes the sound you heard at the beginning that sounded like a bad shift was the sound I'm talking about. OK just wanted to make sure. I plan on taking it in with the video to show them what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any experience with taking their cars in for taransmission issues?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

I took mine in once for a bad transmission seal, and a second time because I was concerned over some "grinding" noises when slowing to a stop. They dismissed the grinding as gears trying to mesh.

Your sound is unlike anything I've heard on my car. I'd get it checked out.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:19 PM

That actually sounds like the gears aren't fully disengaging when you turned the car off.

I have a Ralliart and have NEVER heard it make that sound.
Take it to the stealership.

I took mine in about 6 months ago because my transmision filter housing was cracked. They kept my car for a long *** time and made someone from corporate come out and look at my car. Thats probably up to the discretion of the stealership though. They'll be a little careful on a $10,000 tranny.
Oh then they overfilled my transmission with fluid and it always overheated and went into limp mode. NEVER going to place again haha

They gave me a 2011 Mustang rental car too.

Last edited by BillCosbysPudding; Apr 19, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KyleKitchen
They gave me a 2011 Mustang rental car too.
Quit your *****ing... they gave me a Chevy HHR.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by velocityhead
Quit your *****ing... they gave me a Chevy HHR.
LOL I was kidding.
I know I got lucky!
But still I wasn't impressed by it. The Rallliart is better.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Was it a 2011 V6 Mustang? Those things have some *****. Still prefer the RA, of course.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by velocityhead
Was it a 2011 V6 Mustang? Those things have some *****. Still prefer the RA, of course.
Haha yeah. I mean its pretty damn quick for a V6 but still. It didn't feel as fast, it felt like I was drivin a boat and the interior made me feel cramped. =(
I HATE coupes for that reason, so I might be biased haha.

Oh well, anyway, were getting off topic. Haha
Good luck to the OP. Update us when its solved!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
ltn

So just a little update on the situation. I brought it in yesterday and I told them the problem and even showed them the three videos I had. I thought something good was going to come from it but of course not. I get the whole, "We could not replicate what the customer was talking about". I spoke with the service writer and they said no matter how much video or recordings I have they won't do anything unless the technician hears the grind. I think that is complete crap because most likely I'm going to take it home and it is going to do the exact same thing and we are going to go around in circles. Is there anything else I can do to get it fixed since I have evidence of the issue? Thanks.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

That same things happens to me. Not all the time but enough imes that the wife was like great it's falling apart already. I've read alot of posts about this thing making all kinds of weird noises so I figured it was that. It may be infact just trying to get into the proper gear. For instance when you put into reverse sometimes it takes a second and the "R" on the screen is flashing. Apparently it doesn't like gas before it shifts. I basically drive the thing like a standard but I will try the e-brake on first then into park see if that helps.
Thanks,

-Ralliheart
Old May 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
ltn

Yeah I actually thought it went away but it happened again this morning. It's just so weird that the transmission makes that sound. Other than the noise grinding sound when it happens it drives fine. I just hope after awhile something doesn't get screwed up. If it starts happening a lot I will probably take it in again and see if the stealership can replicate the sound. It just frustrates me when I bring my car in and they can "replicate" it and they don't care what kind of videos or evidence you have.
Old May 10, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliheart
That same things happens to me. Not all the time but enough imes that the wife was like great it's falling apart already. I've read alot of posts about this thing making all kinds of weird noises so I figured it was that. It may be infact just trying to get into the proper gear. For instance when you put into reverse sometimes it takes a second and the "R" on the screen is flashing. Apparently it doesn't like gas before it shifts. I basically drive the thing like a standard but I will try the e-brake on first then into park see if that helps.
Thanks,

-Ralliheart
ive made it a habit of holding brake, putting in park, and putting ebrake. as long as u put the ebrake tight enough not to get that slight roll back u wont get the flashing R
Old May 18, 2011, 08:32 AM
ltn

So just an update my tranny is still making that horrible grind noise at startup. I just had a question. Do you guys think it could be a stuck solenoid or something that releases the clutch? The only reason I ask this is because it only happens in the morning when the car has been sitting over night. Basically the car is cold as can be when I start it up. I live in San Diego, CA so it's not like it's freezing but the car has been off for the entire night. Just to put everything in context, I can turn my car off the same way I always do and then drive it a few hours later with no problems ever. However, if I turn off the car and leave it overnight it makes the grind noise on start up.

Next question, Does anyone have contact information for a reginal repair technician I can speak to directly? Like I said in my earlier posts I took my car in but they gave me the "can't replicate the issue" line. I can't just keep bringing my car in and not having anything done because they can't replicate it. I want to speak with someone with some authority because I have video and audio of the problem and it is not normal but the dealership won't do anything.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 18, 2011, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Do not take a rental car with warranty work.

Quick Reply: SST Grind on Startup