Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:21 AM
ltn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Grind on Startup

Hi guys I'm brand new to this site and I just wanted to introduce myself. I also had a quick question about my transmission. When I start my car up it gives me a grinding sound like the clutch isn't fully disengaged from when I turned the car off. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If so, do you turn your car off immediately when you put the car into park? This also relates to the people who don't have the issue. Do you guys let your car idle for a bit before you turn your car off?

Before people start getting on me about searching I have and found very few post. It seems like some people try to hold the brake when they start the car up so the clutch releases.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just turn my car off, and i hold the brake when i start because im used to cars that require brakes down to start. but ya i havent heard of this problem before- can u try to get a video clip?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I normally put my can in neutral and set the hand brake before I put it in park when I shut it off. Seems to help with some quirks I've noticed with this transmission. For example, if I put it in park on a hill, and let the transmission park position load up before I pull the hand brake, I find it to be scary difficult to get it into gear (especially when parked on a hill) when it's time to leave....

Basically, I'm putting the "parked" load on the parking brake rather than the transmission.

This may not be entirely related, but it's some food for thought, when parking your car and noticing odd things when you go to leave later on.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

The tranny makes a lot of clicking sounds on startup as the solenoids move things around. I wonder if this is what you are hearing.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nunyas
I normally put my can in neutral and set the hand brake before I put it in park when I shut it off.
I do the same thing on hills. It's scary when it doesn't engage (and you don't have the same control as you do with a clutch pedal).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

My driveway is angled heavily, so I learned to set the e-brake, then put in park. Otherwise your right, that "park load" sitting all night can make for a really rough shift the next morning, almost like your'e breaking the shifter moving it out of park
Also if I just remember not to release the brake before setting the e-brake, its usually ok. The worst seems to be putting in park, releasing the brake, then setting the e-brake; that seems to be the recipe for disaster!!

Last edited by sstevojr; Apr 13, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:35 PM
ltn

Yeah I don't think it's solenoids or the hill issue. It is definitely a grinding sound like in a manual when you forget to clutch a manual. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ltn
Yeah I don't think it's solenoids or the hill issue. It is definitely a grinding sound like in a manual when you forget to clutch a manual. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue. Thanks.
It is a very quick synchro-graunch sound, right? Less than half a second, not terribly loud, but distinct enough for a "what the...?" moment...?

Yes, I've had this twice in the 8 months I've owned the car. Quite by chance, one of those two times was this very morning!

Pretty sure I parked it up last night the same as I always do. Into park, idle, switch off.

I reckon it's just another one of those fun noises from the SST. It's probably just letting you know it's awake!

I'm not going into a panic about it, by any means. My last car graunched its synchros every other time I put it into reverse. Did it before a gearbox service/rebuild, and after... before a clutch replacement, and after. Hydraulic clutch fluid change made no difference. It was just a "feature" of that particular Mitsu 5-speed box... and it handled motorsport thrashing for 10 years without a single failure (the "rebuild" was actually the installation a clutch-plate LSD, not due to a fault).

So, it seems the SST has yet another weird noise in its collection. Yours and mine, anyway! Will the SST last 10 years of thrashing? I dunno. Only one way to find out, though. Let's compare notes in 2021!

Rich
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
I normally put my can in neutral and set the hand brake before I put it in park when I shut it off. Seems to help with some quirks I've noticed with this transmission. For example, if I put it in park on a hill, and let the transmission park position load up before I pull the hand brake, I find it to be scary difficult to get it into gear (especially when parked on a hill) when it's time to leave....

Basically, I'm putting the "parked" load on the parking brake rather than the transmission.

This may not be entirely related, but it's some food for thought, when parking your car and noticing odd things when you go to leave later on.
I do this exact same thing.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:33 AM

In your owner's manual it talks about the noises coming from the SST at startup. Pretty standard stuff. Sometimes I hear it more than others but nothing to worry about. It does sometimes sound like somebody is shifting gears in a manual car that doesn't know what they are doing.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
ltn

So yeah I haven't read my manual but it actually talks about grinding sounds. I'm curious to see this. Do you know what section it is in? Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ltn
So yeah I haven't read my manual but it actually talks about grinding sounds. I'm curious to see this. Do you know what section it is in? Thanks.
Get a sound clip if you can. The manual doesn't state that grinding noise specifically it just informs you that the TC-SST can make some straaaange sounds on startup for self checks and such like big clunks, pops and bangs. One time I started her up and she lurched forward!!! Nearly gave a heart attack but its normal. If you get a service light on the dash its time to bring it to the dealer.

BTW, is this sound something that happens consistently? Like every time on startup? Or is it just random?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:56 PM
ltn

I will try to get a sound clip of it but I'm trying to let the car idle for a moment before I turn the car off as well as hold the break when I turn it on. I haven't heard anything since I have been doing those two things. I think it has to do with the clutches not disengaging if you turn it off right after you put it in park. I know the car is supposed to do disengage them when it stays on for the few seconds but maybe they need to refine the program a little more.

To answer the question, no it doesn't happen all the time.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:00 AM

Here's what the manual says on page 3-85 ( Starting and Stopping the Engine) of the 2010 Sportback manual:
On vehicles equipped with the Twin Clutch SST, the following may occur after the engine is started, but they do not indicate an abnormality.
You may hear operational sounds of the Twin Clutch SST and you may feel vibration in the vehicle body.
If you shift the gearshift lever into the "N" (NEUTRAL) position and depress the accelerator pedal, increases in the engine speed will be limited.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:19 AM
ltn

Here is a video of what happens on startup. You might have to turn the sound up as I was using my iphone. Please tell me that is not a normal occurance. BTW it is right at the beginning of the viedo so you have to be ready to listen for the sound. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZlxVO12W4

Quick Reply: SST Grind on Startup