Notices

09 RA engine noise ??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012 | 02:31 AM

Let me add to the chorus (huh huh) of strange noises noticed.

I'm very new to the car (2nd day) , what I noticed most is slight roaring/rotation noise behind the driver when I'm cruising along with light throttle. I figure it's probably tyre noise the rear diff doing its job of driving the rear wheels.
Old Feb 15, 2012 | 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Onyx1607
Let me add to the chorus (huh huh) of strange noises noticed.

I'm very new to the car (2nd day) , what I noticed most is slight roaring/rotation noise behind the driver when I'm cruising along with light throttle. I figure it's probably tyre noise the rear diff doing its job of driving the rear wheels.
It could very well just be tires, but with a used car, it's often worth investigating just a bit further to verify. I'd recommend having your tires rotated, front-to-back and see if the noise moves or changes. Then you know for-sure that its just tires.
Old Feb 28, 2012 | 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by nmilsaps
I have a question about noises... When I'm just coasting with no gas then I press the gas, I hear some kind of click or shift. I don't switch gears, it's in the same gear. Is it the SST (and normal) (usually more noticeable in the lower gears)?
I get the same noise on the 2010 RA. Sounds like it is coming from behind me. Doesn't happen all the time. When I reverse and then accelerate forward, I also hear the same click every time. The same noise doesn't appear with the 2012 RA.
Old Jul 17, 2012 | 11:12 PM

MAYBE, just maybe, me posting this will help put a couple guys at ease. My 2012 ralliart (bought this am with ~50 miles) did the low speed click right off the dealership .. it sounds like the clicking a wrx with a built tranny and sti diff's will often make pulling off in first. If mostly everyone hears this and so do I with a new car, it must be normal. Also my engine makes the little ticking noise too but gets less audible after a couple mins and pretty much goes away shortly after. I'm guessing this is all normal too as it runs great and everyone else hears it.
Old Jul 25, 2012 | 11:17 AM

weird this thread was brought back just in time for me to ask ..

I read the entire thread and i still have a question...

I know these noises are normal and on cold starts i did notice a few slight noises and the engine to be a little more FART CANish for a little bit..

but is it normal for the behaviour to change over time??

we have 2009 Ralliart and yesterday i noticed the noise to be little more aggressive in raspiness..

it's actually pretty loud now... just overnight.. like i said i know noises are normal in these cars but the change in behavious is why i am concerned.. it does die down after about 10-15mins, but again it used to only be for a min or 2 after the car warms up

any ideas? we are almost at 90K (kms)
Old Jul 25, 2012 | 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed a different engine sound if my oil had been punished by track-day fun. Track days are now instant oil-change triggers for me. It's probably got a lot to do with the lack of an oil cooler on the Ralliart!

If it sounds smooth after an oil change, look at the whole engine oil area. I don't want to start another OIL WARZ thread detour here, but look at oil choice, weight, change interval, etc. At 90k mileage you may find it wants different oil compared to a brand new engine.

Just a thought.

Rich
Old Jul 25, 2012 | 07:41 PM

hmmm...

this is actually my wife's car and its 100% stock.. all oil changes are done at the dealership and we just had an oil change done last week..

unless they messed it up somehow...

going in on monday.. put it this way.. its loud enough now that when we left my mom's place tonight she's like "what's wrong with your car.. it's making funny noises"
Old Jul 25, 2012 | 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

I have an Evo, but I have had lifter tick for as long as I can remember, and it sounds like what you are describing
Old Jul 25, 2012 | 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Oil change last week? Now noisy? Hmm.

Before it goes back, check the oil level, record the filter's part number (written on the side of it - a small mirror might be enough to read it from above)... and see if the type of oil used is listed on the docket...

Rich
Old Jul 26, 2012 | 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by johentie
weird this thread was brought back just in time for me to ask ..

I read the entire thread and i still have a question...

I know these noises are normal and on cold starts i did notice a few slight noises and the engine to be a little more FART CANish for a little bit..

but is it normal for the behaviour to change over time??

we have 2009 Ralliart and yesterday i noticed the noise to be little more aggressive in raspiness..

it's actually pretty loud now... just overnight.. like i said i know noises are normal in these cars but the change in behavious is why i am concerned.. it does die down after about 10-15mins, but again it used to only be for a min or 2 after the car warms up

any ideas? we are almost at 90K (kms)
I made my own post about this but wanted to post here and use this as an example. Since the installation of my evo 9 bpv yesterday my car has sounded more aggressive and raspy especially in the higher rpms. Is this normal or what? Its installed perfect... all the way in the hoses.. clamps in the right spots and tightened properly and bought a longer hose at advance auto to avoid kinking the stock one since the evo 9 points the other way.. trimmed it and put the little clamps back on. Soo idk?
Old Sep 5, 2012 | 11:24 AM

WOW I just came back from the a dealer shop. I was so nervous about the noises that I had Roadside tow it to the dealer. I swear the noise was not there in the first 1000. miles. I'm at
1200+ and I noticed the noise and my sister did as well. I swore it was a lifter, valve or something like
that. I was listening about an hour ago and it is more than one noise but I high pitched type ticking is the one I noticed more the other day/night. Listening there is a tapping like if I grabbed
a metal rod and tapped it constantly against the engine. Then the other noise is lower and is random in it's sound. Second sound is more like something loose sound. First noise is constant like something was hitting in the way of a moving wheel or similar object.

thanks, I will do a video once it is at it's loudest
Old Oct 4, 2012 | 05:50 PM

Brought my 10 RA into the dealer a few weeks ago for oil and trans oil change. They found that the trans was leaking and they heard a knocking sound coming from the oil pan. Had me come back the following week so they could fix trans issue and look into knocking sound. I could not hear the knocking sound unless I had my car in the garage, running with the window down. Can't hear it at all when driving. Took my RA back this past monday. Dealer told me they had to have Mitsu rep look at car before they could open up the oil pan and needed my proof of all past oil changes (thankfully I keep all of those records). Also, apparently the ECU keeps a log of your high rev's. They told me mine got to 6900 and that is was near the boarder of them not covering anything under warranty but that the Mitsu rep wasn't concerned about it and didn't make a big deal about it.
Anyway, (sorry for the long story) I called the dealer back today to get an update and he said that they know something is wrong and the Mitsu rep agrees they just aren't sure what it is. They may need to replace the engine. Seems pretty crazy to me since I never heard anything or felt anything out of the ordinary. Thankfully it's covered under warranty.
I'm not trying to scare anyone with this, just hope this helps make people aware that those noises could be something bad. I'll update when I find out more from the dealer.
Old Oct 7, 2012 | 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Turbo or tranny noise

Hi.

I just recently switched to a full ultimate racing intercooler kit and a turbosmart bov(atmospheric) for my ralliart and last night done a few pulls on the freeway home with a couple of mates in the car and started hearing a pig like whining noise(picture blowing up a balloon and slowly opening it up to make it squeel) when at full boost.

Thought nothing of it and started hitting it again and when boosting it continued to make the noise everytime so I put it down to heat. Also left it for 12 hours tried again during the day and made the same noise. At no time during the testing though did it feel like I lost power. I then changed the bov to full recirc plumb back and tried again and the noise wasn't as prominent but was still sorta their.

I put it down to either the tranny, the turbo, the transfer case or a loose hose causing it to leak however it didn't feel like i lost and power and i revved out the car slowly trying to avoid pressure for the turbo and didn't hear any response from the transmission so I want to try rule out the tranny/transfer case. I checked the hoses when the car cooled down and couldn't see anything wrong with it, will do a soapy water test though.

I'm leaning towards the turbo because it's as if it's overworking itself like the turbine wheel going faster than what it should, I don't launch it or thrash the car(one or two spurts a drive) it has 43' 000km on it.

Based on my guess is it a normal part of the turbo aging? Could I need a oil change or is the turbo possible on it's way out.

If you have something similar or might have a different view let me know, I will also try get a video.

Thanks Guys, running the latest gst basemap as well. Hopefully someone will tell me this is normal and It's all in my mind.

Last edited by parralegend; Oct 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2012 | 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sullysnet
WOW I just came back from the a dealer shop. I was so nervous about the noises that I had Roadside tow it to the dealer. I swear the noise was not there in the first 1000. miles. I'm at
1200+ and I noticed the noise and my sister did as well. I swore it was a lifter, valve or something like
that. I was listening about an hour ago and it is more than one noise but I high pitched type ticking is the one I noticed more the other day/night. Listening there is a tapping like if I grabbed
a metal rod and tapped it constantly against the engine. Then the other noise is lower and is random in it's sound. Second sound is more like something loose sound. First noise is constant like something was hitting in the way of a moving wheel or similar object.

thanks, I will do a video once it is at it's loudest
Definitely post up a video if you can. It honestly sounds like nothing to worry about, but hearing it in-person is always better than a description.

Originally Posted by JustGetTheGun
Brought my 10 RA into the dealer a few weeks ago for oil and trans oil change. They found that the trans was leaking and they heard a knocking sound coming from the oil pan. Had me come back the following week so they could fix trans issue and look into knocking sound. I could not hear the knocking sound unless I had my car in the garage, running with the window down. Can't hear it at all when driving. Took my RA back this past monday. Dealer told me they had to have Mitsu rep look at car before they could open up the oil pan and needed my proof of all past oil changes (thankfully I keep all of those records). Also, apparently the ECU keeps a log of your high rev's. They told me mine got to 6900 and that is was near the boarder of them not covering anything under warranty but that the Mitsu rep wasn't concerned about it and didn't make a big deal about it.
Anyway, (sorry for the long story) I called the dealer back today to get an update and he said that they know something is wrong and the Mitsu rep agrees they just aren't sure what it is. They may need to replace the engine. Seems pretty crazy to me since I never heard anything or felt anything out of the ordinary. Thankfully it's covered under warranty.
I'm not trying to scare anyone with this, just hope this helps make people aware that those noises could be something bad. I'll update when I find out more from the dealer.
That revving too high thing is a crock. They can't void your warranty for redlining the car unless you have raised the stock rev limiter which is in the early 7k rpm, iirc. As far as the engine noise goes, definitely keep us up to date with what they find and what repair they perform. This is new information to me and I'm curious to see what comes of it.

Originally Posted by parralegend
Hi.

I just recently switched to a full ultimate racing intercooler kit and a turbosmart bov(atmospheric) for my ralliart and last night done a few pulls on the freeway home with a couple of mates in the car and started hearing a pig like whining noise(picture blowing up a balloon and slowly opening it up to make it squeel) when at full boost.

Thought nothing of it and started hitting it again and when boosting it continued to make the noise everytime so I put it down to heat. Also left it for 12 hours tried again during the day and made the same noise. At no time during the testing though did it feel like I lost power. I then changed the bov to full recirc plumb back and tried again and the noise wasn't as prominent but was still sorta their.

I put it down to either the tranny, the turbo, the transfer case or a loose hose causing it to leak however it didn't feel like i lost and power and i revved out the car slowly trying to avoid pressure for the turbo and didn't hear any response from the transmission so I want to try rule out the tranny/transfer case. I checked the hoses when the car cooled down and couldn't see anything wrong with it, will do a soapy water test though.

I'm leaning towards the turbo because it's as if it's overworking itself like the turbine wheel going faster than what it should, I don't launch it or thrash the car(one or two spurts a drive) it has 43' 000km on it.

Based on my guess is it a normal part of the turbo aging? Could I need a oil change or is the turbo possible on it's way out.

If you have something similar or might have a different view let me know, I will also try get a video.

Thanks Guys, running the latest gst basemap as well. Hopefully someone will tell me this is normal and It's all in my mind.
99% sure it's a boost leak. Take the bumper back off and do a proper boost-leak test and soap up all those connections and you'll probably find your culprit.
Old Oct 7, 2012 | 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well after having a flog on the freeway this morning im sure its a boost leak because even at 1/5th throttle if theirs some positive boost pushing from the turbo it's squealing. Lucky I'm a crazy driver and paddle shift up with my left hand

Noise occurs at around 11-12 seconds the first time and 20 seconds the second hit. Gurus . I noticed that my coupler connecting to the intercooler was a bit short of what I thought was a "bump marker" on the pipe so I'll go through by hand and check every pipe along the top .

Last edited by parralegend; Oct 7, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 RA engine noise ??