Notices

Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 06:29 PM
AMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
are we listening to the tick or the rattle?
The higher end ticks are probably just spark plugs firing, it's the lower frequency rattle is what is concerning.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

The tick i get as well, as most people would. The rattleing i do not get. As for your title i suggest you change that like mentioned above by another guy. Its not cool to make an assumption like that!
Old May 9, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

ah, I have a rattle that's somewhat similar (i.e. similar audible pitch)... but not even close to being as bad (i.e. not a constant rattling sound)...

Though, in my case, I believe its the TTC-SST clutch chatter that a lot of new RA owners ask about on these forums. I hear it every now and then while idling in park... in my case it goes away when i put it in gear.

Not sure what to make of it in your case, other than it possibly being something not securely fastened, or possibly something not in the right place anymore...
Old May 9, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
ah, I have a rattle that's somewhat similar (i.e. similar audible pitch)... but not even close to being as bad (i.e. not a constant rattling sound)...

Though, in my case, I believe its the TTC-SST clutch chatter that a lot of new RA owners ask about on these forums. I hear it every now and then while idling in park... in my case it goes away when i put it in gear.

Not sure what to make of it in your case, other than it possibly being something not securely fastened, or possibly something not in the right place anymore...
same for me. when you get to see your car tomorrow try putting it in drive and post your findings and see if it is still making that noise...we all get that noise to an extent...but that is uber loud or your camera is picking up that noise like crazy.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:27 PM
AMT

Originally Posted by ArtofRalli
The tick i get as well, as most people would. The rattleing i do not get. As for your title i suggest you change that like mentioned above by another guy. Its not cool to make an assumption like that!
Unfortunately I can't change the title after the fact.

Also, I'm not blindly accusing GST Stock Pill map (notice the phrase "May Have" in the title ), but it's far more likely that is the case than a manufacturing defect in my mind.

At this point it's a matter of waiting to see what South Coast Mitsu says when they (hopefully) get the authorization to look at the car tomorrow.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by richardjh
...although that may just involve comparing ROM ID (and possibly a ROM checksum) against their records of what "should" be there...

Edit: In which case, the ECU would appear 100% as nature intended.

Rich
Nope, stock ROM ID is pretty much irrelevant because factory flashes based on updates/tsb's will change that anyway. They're going to look at history and see what's been done warranty-wise, then look at the CAL. ID and CVN and base the decision off of that, which will definitely be different from where it should be, even if flashed back to stock rom.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
I listened to the video again once I got home.

It really sounds like the normal clutch chatter when the car is stopped either in Park, Drive with your foot on the brake or in Neutral. You video camera seems to have a pretty sensitive microphone.

Yes it will get louder if you rev the car. If you put the car in driver and start moving the car it will go away if it is the normal clutch chatter.

My driveway at home as a wall on both sides so it reflects sound pretty well. I hear this sound everytime I warm the car up in the morning and every time I come home and park the car.

I can make a video of the sound if that helps.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

i had the same sound where its there only at idle (not moving) ... it goes away if i apply throttle..
i first noticed that after i installed a custom intake and thought i moved a heat shield or something... but check and double checked everything is cool...

just yesterday i was stuck in traffic in the left lane and i was hearing that for a good 20min ... cant be wrong.. =P
Old May 9, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I listened to the video again once I got home.

It really sounds like the normal clutch chatter when the car is stopped either in Park, Drive with your foot on the brake or in Neutral. You video camera seems to have a pretty sensitive microphone.

Yes it will get louder if you rev the car. If you put the car in driver and start moving the car it will go away if it is the normal clutch chatter.

My driveway at home as a wall on both sides so it reflects sound pretty well. I hear this sound everytime I warm the car up in the morning and every time I come home and park the car.

I can make a video of the sound if that helps.
Can OP also try to make the sound go away by putting it in DRIVE and applying the e-brake? IIRC, the SST will engage if your foot is off the brake but the e-brake is on... correct?

That would then be easy to repeat the "head in the engine bay" check - assuming the RA doesn't try to run you over!

Rich
Old May 9, 2011, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

I took some video of my car, just waiting for Vimeo to process it.

Sounds exactly the same as the OP.

I'll post it when it's ready.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

My car made the same noise and the dealer said it was the drive lug and replaced it with an aftermarket one sent from mitsubishi. Still make a little noise but not like it use to. Now I need them to change my oil pan gasket cas its leaking hope they dont try to give me **** since my cars tuned since a tune has nothing to do with a leaky oil pan.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

I listened to my car this evening (on start up) and (after i ran the car hard) sound was there. It was not as loud as the sound in your video, BUT the same sounds just not as loud. Again like others mentioned it wasnt as audible, but that could have been a sensitive microphone.

U should be safe. I can also make a video and see if my video camera and see if my microphone picks up the sound more. Let me know if you want a third opinion.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AMT
Unfortunately I can't change the title after the fact.

Also, I'm not blindly accusing GST Stock Pill map (notice the phrase "May Have" in the title ), but it's far more likely that is the case than a manufacturing defect in my mind.

At this point it's a matter of waiting to see what South Coast Mitsu says when they (hopefully) get the authorization to look at the car tomorrow.

If you want the title changed, let me know. Either way, keep us up to date once you hear back from the dealer
Old May 9, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Mine also makes that sound. Has since day one. So does both of the new RAs we have on the lot (I work for a dealer) and two other customer cars who came in concerned about the sound.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Here are two videos taken from my 2010 Ralliart

http://vimeo.com/23515755

http://vimeo.com/23515653

The sound is a little muffled, I took the video with my HTC EVO phone, but you can still hear the same type of sounds...

Quick Reply: Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing