Notices

Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To reiterate:
I don't think this is an issue with Boost Pill / Boost Pill map, I'm worried the GST Stock Pill map caused the damage as I was running that for about a month prior to upgrading to the Boost Pill / Boost Pill map.
Let's see if I have this straight....
You installed the GST Base Map a month ago. NO problems for a month. Then you install the boost pill and change maps. But somehow you think the OLD base map caused this??? Even thought you state several times that there were no problems until the change. Could it not be more reasonable that the boost pill/or map caused the issue (as in this the only change since the noise occurred)??
I'm not saying that the Upgraded map and pill caused this, I don't believe that for a minute. Not with the amount of time and work put into making an Awesome Vanilla Tune ;p If you ever take a look at the actual tables you can see that there is plenty of broad term safety built in. Heck there are what, umpteen bajillion RA owners who have/are using this tune..?
What I'm trying to get at, in a long winded sort of fashion, is that your logic is completely bassackward. "I put in a new Y piece/part, and now the car is acting weird. But it's caused by the X piece/part I installed a month ago, but now removed"???? Is anyone else reading this the same way.
Oh yeah, BTW, a little secret for ya.....ITS A RALLIART!!! They make a ton of noise that any other car on the road would explode if they tried to duplicate. And yes my car makes that same noise in the morning when its cold.
What everyone is trying to gently tell you, and I'm trying to NOT gently tell you, is that phrasing your title that way lends an air of....hostility and accusations.
GL
Old May 9, 2011, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

You get an award from me.... "Dumbest thread title of the year" with and your a runner-up in the "Stupidest thread of the decade" category. Nt car makes the same exact noise, did the day I bought it, and does today. Oh, and I've been running the Boostpill & basemap since the day I owned the car. It's been to the track, driven hard, and even gone off-roading. If someone was going to blow up their car with this basemap, it'd have been me. Simply put, I'm not convinced you even have an issue with your car, and if you do, I don't believe it has anything to do with the basemap unless you did exactly what it says not to and ran the stock map with boostpill or the boostpill map without it. Either way, you really need to change the thread title cause even though it's bs, it gives new users un-needed fear of the awesome FREE basemaps Bryan offers.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The best thing to alleviate any newbie-scaring is to see the nice, clean Q&A style investigation... and to track it through to its final resolution.

We're all grown-ups, and we've all taken responsibility for what we do... including the OP, from my reading.

Bryan is clearly happy to do a straight, businesslike Q&A based on observations and experience. That speaks volumes - all that needs to be said, really.

Rich
Old May 10, 2011, 01:04 AM
AMT

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Let's see if I have this straight....
You installed the GST Base Map a month ago. NO problems for a month. Then you install the boost pill and change maps. But somehow you think the OLD base map caused this??? Even thought you state several times that there were no problems until the change. Could it not be more reasonable that the boost pill/or map caused the issue (as in this the only change since the noise occurred)??
I'm not saying that the Upgraded map and pill caused this, I don't believe that for a minute. Not with the amount of time and work put into making an Awesome Vanilla Tune ;p If you ever take a look at the actual tables you can see that there is plenty of broad term safety built in. Heck there are what, umpteen bajillion RA owners who have/are using this tune..?
What I'm trying to get at, in a long winded sort of fashion, is that your logic is completely bassackward. "I put in a new Y piece/part, and now the car is acting weird. But it's caused by the X piece/part I installed a month ago, but now removed"???? Is anyone else reading this the same way.
Oh yeah, BTW, a little secret for ya.....ITS A RALLIART!!! They make a ton of noise that any other car on the road would explode if they tried to duplicate. And yes my car makes that same noise in the morning when its cold.
What everyone is trying to gently tell you, and I'm trying to NOT gently tell you, is that phrasing your title that way lends an air of....hostility and accusations.
GL
No. I only noticed that sound after Boost Pill upgrade because that's the first time I've started my engine while the hood was open since I did the first Stock pill map. The sound was likely there prior to the boost pill upgrade. Hope that makes more sense.

Anyway, it seems like the sound is common although it's odd the dealer mechanic thinks there is something wrong it. He may be hearing something else I'm not though.
Old May 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

I had this noise too (and even before the basemap flash if I'm not mistaken).

Is it normal that I figured it was normal anyways haha! Ralliart noises....

That being said, it's the clutches for sure. It's generally a noisy transmission, especially not in gear. My car sounds exactly like Bryan's.
Old May 10, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone else have slight idle bouncing though? I have the Boost Pill 93 Oct basemap.

If I let it idle (even warmed up), it tends to not be a very steady idle. I'm talking a small discrepancy, like 100 rpm movement (could be the rad, fans, transmission, etc...).
Old May 10, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasoob
Does anyone else have slight idle bouncing though? I have the Boost Pill 93 Oct basemap.

If I let it idle (even warmed up), it tends to not be a very steady idle. I'm talking a small discrepancy, like 100 rpm movement (could be the rad, fans, transmission, etc...).
Normal operation. There was a thread not too long ago discussing this.

Edit: See here - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ic-normal.html

Back on topic, what's the verdict then?

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; May 10, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Changed the thread title so as not to cause a panic.... very unlikely this is in anyway related to the base maps. Will update title as I read the thread and we figure out what the issue is.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for bringing sanity to the thread title
Old May 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by AMT
No. I only noticed that sound after Boost Pill upgrade because that's the first time I've started my engine while the hood was open since I did the first Stock pill map. The sound was likely there prior to the boost pill upgrade. Hope that makes more sense.

Anyway, it seems like the sound is common although it's odd the dealer mechanic thinks there is something wrong it. He may be hearing something else I'm not though.
The SST equipped Mitsus do make a bit more noise then the 5MT. In addition the 4B11T is generally a pretty loud motor.

It's ok to think it's odd. Everybody goes through it as it is loud compared to other cars like honda, etc.

I wouldn't put too much weight into what a dealer thinks. They unfortunatly generally do not know much. Espically with the SST transmission.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I wouldn't put too much weight into what a dealer thinks. They unfortunatly generally do not know much. Espically with the SST transmission.
Isnt that the truth. I had a dealer tell me my keyfob stopped working because I installed an aftermarket stereo.
Old May 10, 2011, 02:46 PM
AMT

Mitsubishi Corporate has come back and said that the noise is normal. I wasn't given any flak about the car being tuned either, so that's good.

Didn't mean to cause a panic with the thread title. Thank you for changing it! I'll go back and edit first post as well.

Last edited by AMT; May 10, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AMT
Mitsubishi Corporate has come back and said that the noise is normal. I wasn't given any flak about the car being tuned either, so that's good.

Didn't mean to cause a panic with the thread title. Thank you for changing it! I'll go back and edit first post as well.
Glad to see your got peace of mind.

Now go enjoy the car again!
Old May 10, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Glad to see your got peace of mind.

Now go enjoy the car again!

Old May 10, 2011, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AMT
Mitsubishi says its due to some play in the torque converter, but as of right now they do not consider it to be a problem.
Reason #5423 not to listen to them. There is no torque converter.

Quick Reply: Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing