Notices

RalliArt blown up! why? help me!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 11:50 PM
yby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little off topic - Has anyone had a successfull warranty claim for the fuel pressure regulator hose coming off?

Would be genuinely interested to see if they have.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:41 AM

The Ford pinto case is one of the reasons that car companies are now in 2011 40 years later much more sophisticated in their reliability, engineering and safety.

All I'm saying is that if there were enough failures of the component it could be argued that Mitsubishi should have identified the issue and taken remedial steps to prevent that failure regardless of warranty.

If you want to know more about the effects of the Pinto example see Ralph Nader's unsafe at any speed.

I'm not an armchair internet expert or a pimply 18 year old I worked for 5 years managing the test laboratory for an OEM manufacturer of automotive components as a reliability engineer and ten years at one of the big 3 the last 4 years as Production System Manager for Asia Pacific and Africa.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

hey were in the same boat together my car did the same thing except my FPR hose did not come off my engine just failed and it resulted in a hole in my piston. so i had i very well trusted local machine shop but a new sleeve in my block the car is almost finished now should be back on the road next weekend.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotshot1
hey were in the same boat together my car did the same thing except my FPR hose did not come off my engine just failed and it resulted in a hole in my piston. so i had i very well trusted local machine shop but a new sleeve in my block the car is almost finished now should be back on the road next weekend.
How did the hose fail if it didnt come off.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well congrats on your car happy its back what went wrong with it?
Old May 29, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

i never really did figure out why my motor failed there was nothing that was obvious all i know is i melted my piston, so somehow i had a lean condition.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

i never really did figure out why my motor failed there was nothing that was obvious all i know is i melted my piston, so somehow i had a lean condition.
well that sucks hope it doesnt happen again
Old May 30, 2011, 04:13 PM
yby

You really need to find out the cause mate otherwise you run the real possibility of doing another motor in.

Try and go through each thing in turn and find out which has failed/caused the motor to fail.

If mechanically everything is sound (fuel pump, relay, injectors etc) then you have to look seriously look at the tune.

Unfortunately you cannot just have a lean condition. Something has caused it.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

update??
Old Jun 1, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

nothing as of yet im really getting anxious here too. problem is the only tuner i trust is in the process of trying to move into a new bigger shop and fix my car at the same time lol
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bronto11588
smoke was gray-ish and only hose or belt i could find that came off was this one replaced it and still no luck
is that the line on top of the bpv? cant really tell and its in a funny location relative to stock
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
fuel pressure regulator manifold pressure reference hose...

If you get bored, try calling to see if there's one in-stock at your nearest auto-parts store and see how long it takes them to hang up on you
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crazems
is that the line on top of the bpv? cant really tell and its in a funny location relative to stock
FPR hose, and what do you mean in a funny location? i have never moved or modified this hose
Old Jun 3, 2011, 03:46 PM

Might be time to collate all the number four cylinder failures and try to do some investigation.

Basic information to start with would be conditions at failure (speed, elevation etc, throttle position)

List of mods
Tune, base map.

Photos of piston, head valves and plugs would be a help
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I meant to ask, bronto, what injectors were you running?

Quick Reply: RalliArt blown up! why? help me!