Notices

SST Trans cooler kit by AMS - Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Proteus_x15
I might be chiming in a little late on this one, but I think I'll be either investing in a cooler, or a fan for the OEM cooler. I was doing a little highway driving, on the 401 here in Ontario, cruise control set at about 118km/h... when I got a nice little "ding ding Transmission Overheating Slow Down" temp was 29*c outside. Car dropped into 5th gear automatically, and I manually shifted back into 6th to keep the RPM's low. Pulled over, let the car idle down the temps, and took it to the stealership. They said that the factory tranny cooling system isn't adequate for "spirited driving in warm temperatures".
I can't understand how the transmission could possibly overheat if you were in "cruise control" and staying in the same gear. I could understand if you were upshifting and downshifting frequently at high RPM's, but it's hard to believe that just cruising at highway speeds in 6th gear would cause any transmission warnings. If my car ever gave me a warning cruising at only 73mph in 84F temperatures, I'd be really pissed at Mitsubishi for making such a panzymobile.

Last edited by Slee256; Jun 7, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, cruise control at highway speed is not spirited driving.

Connect up EvoScan when you drive, and log SST temp. You don't need a "mode23" modified ROM to get that data - it's a CAN bus request. Log the temp as you go about your business.

If the problem happens again and you see a random spike in temp, it could well be a failed temp sensor in the SST. As I understand it, a false reading over a certain temp would kick the box into protection mode.

The alternative would be a slow, steady rise up to 130C (apparently, "slow down" temp). That should only happen on a long-track drive.

Take the resulting data to a sensible Mitsu dealer (ie. one that will take the data at face value, and not get hung up on "how" or "why" you'd be using OP2.0/EvoScan). It might help them come to a better conclusion...

Rich
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good ideas Rich.
There is something not right about that unit Proteus. Could be a faulty temp sensor, lets hope so
I live in So-Cal and do 100 mile a day commutes when I have class. I drive through some of the hottest parts, that are not in the actual desert, (San Fernando Valley, Calabasas, Agoura Hills) which regularly hit 100-110*F. Cruising the freeway at 80mph never had an issue; BUT when crawling in traffic (5mph if even that fast) the tranny did start shifting really hard (especially if I'm blasting the A/C) in which case I flip on the fan. Never when I'm actually moving. Anyways, once your going 20mph there is more air blowing over the tranny cooler than any aftermarket fan can ever hope to pull across (and I have one that puts all the "Big Name Kits" to shame, 1100cfm vs 400, haha!)
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it doesn't seem right.

I belted around a track the other week. Clear day, temp was about 25C. 1-2 minute laps, then off for 15 to 20 minutes chin-wagging about cars.

The hottest SST temp I saw was 103C.

It's just not feasible for your SST temp to hit 130C driving on cruise-control at 120km/h on a 29C day. Ignore that dealer.

Rich
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are all lucky in that you're not dealing with Canadian dealerships. ANY sort of mod/tuning etc is seen as "OMG GOODBYE WARRANTY" by our Stealerships. Sadly, that's the problem i find myself in. I'll log it for my own mind, but they can't know I do it.

I too know that it's not reasonable for my SST to heat up that much, but that's what the car is telling me. They want my car for a day long diagnostic to figure out what's going on. They mentioned the possibility of a faulty temp sensor, but we'll see.

And I wasn't in "cruise control", I was actually in cruise control. I have no reason to lie about my driving habits.

Last edited by Proteus_x15; Jun 11, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Proteus_x15
You guys are all lucky in that you're not dealing with Canadian dealerships. ANY sort of mod/tuning etc is seen as "OMG GOODBYE WARRANTY" by our Stealerships. Sadly, that's the problem i find myself in. I'll log it for my own mind, but they can't know I do it.

I too know that it's not reasonable for my SST to heat up that much, but that's what the car is telling me. They want my car for a day long diagnostic to figure out what's going on. They mentioned the possibility of a faulty temp sensor, but we'll see.

And I wasn't in "cruise control", I was actually in cruise control. I have no reason to lie about my driving habits.
Hi Proteus.

I actually took it at face value you were really in Capital C Cruise Control. It's so easy to get misconstrued on the interwebz. If I quoted "cruise control", it wasn't in a nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say-no-more kind of way. (Must resist the temptation to go full-on Monty Python here).

Edit: lol, just checked, and it wasn't even my "cruise control" quote in quotes!

The fact that the dealer is talking faulty temp sensors is excellent,as is their desire to drive it for a day for diagnosis. I guess they want to log all the SST temp sensor info they can, and look for impossible readings that would indicate a dodgy sensor.

Good luck!

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Jun 11, 2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

I'll let you guys know how it goes, whenever I get a chance anyway! Thanks guys!
Old May 24, 2013, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
It would have been nice if I hadn't been so busy yesterday, we could have talked a bit more about this stuff. I, personally, just added a 5" SPAL fan to the back of my OEM cooler and have yet to go into limp mode since installing it. I also have yet to do a full-out track day, but the car has been through plenty of autoX (I'm a terrible driver) and drag racing without failure to date.
Will the 8inches still fit? I wonder what's max size we put at the back of that cooler.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The 8" should fit in the space there, but will be overlapping the edges of the cooler and is overkill, imo. I am still using my 5" for daily use and weekend warriordom without issue, though I don't see any really lengthy track time outside of a few wot runs through the gears.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Kyle text me info on this fan set up
Old May 24, 2013, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Txt sent
Old May 25, 2013, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Im also interested on the 5inch setup can I get info text me 6613434946
Old May 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

For everyone who is interested, I'm finally going to finish that how to and get it posted up this weekend since its a 3-day holiday weekend
Old May 27, 2013, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I went with a similar design to the AMS, which I think is the biggest one you can put in stock location. It was about $300 for everything. Yes, the fast is a must need no matter what. When you track it's seems hard for the SST to cool down quickly. With the fan it stayed at 70C and let me trrack more. I would not do the 1/4 mil till my SST was at 70C, at least for me this never gave me any issue.

Derale 15860 Hyper-Cool Remote Mount Fluid Cooler
Derale 15721 In-Line Fluid Thermostat
2 - AN-8 Elbow connector
1/2" oil hose and clamps
Parts from lowes for mounting

I have a SPDT switch that so I can turn it on when I want to for 1/4mile track days.
Otherwise it will go on at 180F and turn off at 165F. For spirited driving
The LED lights up whtn the transmission cooler fan turns on.

So far I have had no issue. If I run into any issues I will install this next:
FP920M22I - Setrab series 9, 20 row with dual 12 volt fans around where the one for SSP would go.

As you can see the stock one is a lot smaller.

Attached Thumbnails SST Trans cooler kit by AMS - Worth it or not?-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Fuego; May 27, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

^ Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: SST Trans cooler kit by AMS - Worth it or not?