Notices

SST Trans cooler kit by AMS - Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Trans cooler kit by AMS - Worth it or not?

So is the trans cooler kit by AMS worth it? Currently my car is used for normal driving. I will eventually go to the track (so, I tell myself). I am wondering if having this installed will increase the life of the tranny in any way?

Here is the link from AMS: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...ooler-Kit.html
Old May 30, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

If your not going to the track, save your money. The stock cooler will do just fine.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

The guy who put his car into limp mode could have used this tranny cooler. But I don't think it's that necessary unless you are driving your car hard for extended periods of time.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

the question itself of whether you need a transmission cooler is mostly a "no" for most people

if for some reason your personal needs/wants makes it a "yes, I want/need one", then I would go with SSP's trans cooler. AMS's just looks like a slight upgrade, where as the SSP unit looks like a complete system - a complete system built for a whole higher level of transmission cooling

my 2cents
Old May 31, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

cool. Looks like I'll be saving my $$ for something better.

Thanks guys
Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It would have been nice if I hadn't been so busy yesterday, we could have talked a bit more about this stuff. I, personally, just added a 5" SPAL fan to the back of my OEM cooler and have yet to go into limp mode since installing it. I also have yet to do a full-out track day, but the car has been through plenty of autoX (I'm a terrible driver) and drag racing without failure to date.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

That's cool dude. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Going to the track is in my "love to-do" list. Not sure if I'll get a chance this year, but I'll definitely do it next year.

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
It would have been nice if I hadn't been so busy yesterday, we could have talked a bit more about this stuff. I, personally, just added a 5" SPAL fan to the back of my OEM cooler and have yet to go into limp mode since installing it. I also have yet to do a full-out track day, but the car has been through plenty of autoX (I'm a terrible driver) and drag racing without failure to date.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Where did u install the fan switch? Howd u run the wiring?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i personally love my ams parts including the trans cooler but i do race alot so its a plus for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H-loaB4oq4
Old Jun 3, 2011, 03:40 PM

$500 for the cooler versus $12000 for a transmission I think i'd be going the cooler route if I was going to do some launching or track work or even better add the fan.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliMark
Where did u install the fan switch? Howd u run the wiring?
I was talking with rich on here about just this very subject. I'll be yanking everything apart to put together a detailed, photographic how-to in the next week or two since it seems like quite a few people are interested in doing this
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I was talking with rich on here about just this very subject. I'll be yanking everything apart to put together a detailed, photographic how-to in the next week or two since it seems like quite a few people are interested in doing this
Hi 03Chi.

I found the SPAL fan you mentioned on eBay - company wants over $100 to ship it to Oz.

I know, I know, it's still cheap when protecting a ten grand non-repairable part, but gggrrrrrr.

Rich
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ Here check this out, should have everything you need
http://www.pwr.com.au/index.html#/view=contact/s=cs/
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
^ Here check this out, should have everything you need
http://www.pwr.com.au/index.html#/view=contact/s=cs/
Awesome - thanks. One of their transmission coolers is stated as having a SPAL fan on it, so I'll get in touch with them.

Thanks a million. Gotta love this place - so many helpful people.

Rich
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

I might be chiming in a little late on this one, but I think I'll be either investing in a cooler, or a fan for the OEM cooler. I was doing a little highway driving, on the 401 here in Ontario, cruise control set at about 118km/h... when I got a nice little "ding ding Transmission Overheating Slow Down" temp was 29*c outside. Car dropped into 5th gear automatically, and I manually shifted back into 6th to keep the RPM's low. Pulled over, let the car idle down the temps, and took it to the stealership. They said that the factory tranny cooling system isn't adequate for "spirited driving in warm temperatures".

Quick Reply: SST Trans cooler kit by AMS - Worth it or not?