Notices

Big upgrades, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm308
Griffin, for the power you're chasing, you WILL NOT need to replace the injectors. The RA has the same injectors as the Evo X and you can get them well above the power you're chasing with the stock fuel system (See TMR 300 tune for example).
A mate of mines X is pushing out 202kw ATW with the stock injectors no where near their limits.
Only time you're going to need to look at replacing them is if you go for an E85/E-Flex tune.
Not true on an accurate dyno. The stock X turbo is more than enough to max out the stock X injectors. I ran mine to the point of going static at around 330whp on a dynodynamics.

IDC's on the stock X injectors are over 80% at 300whp on a dynodynamics.

Even if he is not looking to make more than 330whp, the stock injectors will be at the absolute limit on very low boost with the BBX. IMO with the money invested already you would be much better off to go ahead and get a set of DW 1,000's... check with Bryan to be sure on the brand and size.

Since it seems there are those that are going to argue the point with me I will try to dig up the logs latter today.. in the mean time this plot shows the stock X injectors going static on my gsr with low boost on a smaller turbo than the bbx:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6027760-post1.html

20 psi, 6500 rpm injectors failed open. Don't have the plot of the power at that point but it was just over 320whp iirc. This was NOT in shootout mode and the dyno never used a correction factor other than the minor corrections the weather station made for temp and humidity.

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jun 6, 2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

^ Hi Mad_SB, no intention at all to argue your point from me. I actually want to thank you for your input as it has made me take another look at injectors as an option. Like I mentioned in the first post, I wanted to find out what (if anything) was missing to make the car sustain power safely. You have answered that well. Like anyone else, I don't like throwing money at something that isn't necessary and of course want to make sure that injectors are considered just that, necessary. I don't doubt that they will benefit the car, its more a cost vs benefit thing when I can't test one way or the other right now without the other components on the car.
My wife's in LA until Wednesday (before coming back to Aus) so if I need injectors, I better find them quick!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
^ Hi Mad_SB, no intention at all to argue your point from me. I actually want to thank you for your input as it has made me take another look at injectors as an option. Like I mentioned in the first post, I wanted to find out what (if anything) was missing to make the car sustain power safely. You have answered that well. Like anyone else, I don't like throwing money at something that isn't necessary and of course want to make sure that injectors are considered just that, necessary. I don't doubt that they will benefit the car, its more a cost vs benefit thing when I can't test one way or the other right now without the other components on the car.
My wife's in LA until Wednesday (before coming back to Aus) so if I need injectors, I better find them quick!
Ha Ha,

Well, my main point is that if the BBX came with a 20psi actuator you will be maxing out the stock injectors at that boost pressure alone. I will post the logs latter this evening but i did take a quick look before work this AM.

At 340whp (uncorrected dynodynamics / low reading mustang), 750cc injectors, Dom 1 turbo (smaller than the bbx), Stock fuel pump, My IDC's were just hitting 80% at 7,800 rpm.

The run the injectors went static at 6,500 rpm was stock injectors, 20psi, dom 1 turbo. That run made 323 whp, but I could not find the log.

The highest I ever saw a stock injector X make on that dyno without the injectors failing open was 315whp and that was at the absolute limit.

For reference, that same dyno when running a bone stock vehicle in shootout mode would be within 5 - 10 hp manufacturer claimed hp.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

^ What's your vote on injectors then? Deatschwerks 850cc are a fair bit cheaper and have an OEM plug and play fitment. The FIC 1100cc look like top quality but are they overkill for what I'm aiming for?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DW injectors aren't bad. I can't say that I have a preference, but I went with Injector Dynamics.

http://www.injectordynamics.com/ID850.html

I have a feeling that my BCS is going to be history in not too long. The stock built-in controller is supreme. Is there anyone in Australia who can tune using the stock boost controller? There has got to be.

You will more than likely need a new fuel pump. However, beware of the Ultimate Racing kit. I have had nothing but problems with that design. So have a few others, in fact.

All in all, that looks like a great setup.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
^ What's your vote on injectors then? Deatschwerks 850cc are a fair bit cheaper and have an OEM plug and play fitment. The FIC 1100cc look like top quality but are they overkill for what I'm aiming for?
Probably ID1000's

do them once and your done
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

It is really going to depend on the dyno, but if you reach your goal or even get lucky and overshoot it, you will be at the edge of what your injectors can support.

We have a fuel calculator available on the DW site - http://www.deatschwerks.com/fuel-calculators/

For boosted applications, I use .6 BSFC and 90% IDC values to estimate injector sizes. For 350hp (.6 BSFC is somewhat conservative), you'll need ~615cc per injector.

If your wife is still in LA, I can get a set of 850cc or 1000cc sent out to where she's staying today.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Griffin, since you're a Aus boy, I'd suggest talking to Dan @ TMR and get their opinion on wether you need to upgrade or not. As I mentioned, their 300 tune (402HP) still uses stock injectors and there's quite a few people running it. Your setup may push further than that so he may suggest to do it. Then again, he may tell you that there's no need as they have had big power X's and RA's before and they were fine.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:09 PM

PMed Griff
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I guess everyone is missing the fact that he is installing a BBX turbo rather than an X turbo....

All I can say is best of luck to you if you choose to stay on stock injectors. You might get away with it if you use a low sprung wastegate and keep the boost under 20psi.... no idea why you would want to do that though
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Hey all, injectors have been sorted. Local recommendations also confirmed it as a requirement and in the end I went with what my tuner preferred. I don't want to ge into a brand war so I'll leave it there for now. PM me for details if you'd like to know more. I should have everything I need now to get this going finally. Thanks for everyone's input! Next post should be install and tune updates. Hoo ra !
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
I was at approx 76% IDC peak on pump gas with the BBX Lite, at 24.5psi, ID1000cc injectors.

Now I am a 106% IDC peak at only 26psi on E85, if I rev it out. If I keep it under 7300rpm I'm just touching 100% IDC.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I was at approx 76% IDC peak on pump gas with the BBX Lite, at 24.5psi, ID1000cc injectors.

Now I am a 106% IDC peak at only 26psi on E85, if I rev it out. If I keep it under 7300rpm I'm just touching 100% IDC.
I'm probably going with the ID's when the time comes since I will eventually end up with a BBXL

Griffin5.... be sure to post up a results thread, preferably with dyno graph (either real or Virtual)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
Griffin5.... be sure to post up a results thread, preferably with dyno graph (either real or Virtual)
Will do mate, will do
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:31 AM

Very sweet setup mate. What are your SST upgrades if you don't mind me asking?
Your Dyno graphs should make for some very interesting reading. You planning on taking it to WSID? (<13sec quarter mile?)

Quick Reply: Big upgrades, some questions.