Notices

Big upgrades, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big upgrades, some questions.

Well after almost 18 months of research and collecting parts for my beloved RA, the time has finally come to get them on the car and reap the rewards. I've learnt a LOT of great info on this forum but I know there will be things I've missed so I'm showing you what's in store and asking:

What have I missed to safely put together a reliable car with some good power? Here's a taste of what's in store:

What you see here is:

BBX Lite turbo from CBRD
Evo X manifold, fuel lines, gaskets etc (in the box)
ETS 3" FMIC
T1R uppper and lower intercooler piping
AEM Evo X intake with Evo X snorkel
AMS mini battery kit
Ultimate Racing O2/Downpipe
Evo X OEM bov
Ultimate Racing metal HF cat and cat back exhaust are already installed.

I plan on removing the boost pill and use a Grimmspeed 3 port boost control solenoid and tune from there. I want to get the car booked in for the install over the next 2 weeks. Leading up to that my initial questions for you good folk are:

What order would you install these in? I was thinking intercooler + pipes, downpipe, turbo, manifold then intake.

Mini Battery: Do I need to do anything to it other than plug it in at install. AMS says it comes pre-torqued to spec but I heard some one who had trouble with theirs? It's designed for the trunk but I'd prefer to leave it in the front of the car (looking forward to that bracket ).

AEM Evo X Intake: Is this a simple swap with the new Evo parts? I get the feeling there might be something I'm missing here.

Evo X spark plugs: I've heard they are a very good idea when upgrading to something like this?

Anyone like to take a guess at expected hp and tq?

I'll leave it there. Hopefully someone can chime in with some good advice. Thank you!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

You need injectors, didn't see them listed.

You don't need to remove the boost pill, just remove the whole factory line assembly and solenoid as a single unit and run new line for the 3port.

If it were me, I would just tear it all down starting with the undertrays, braces and front bumper. Once all the old stuff is out you start putting it back to together in the following order:
turbo, downpipe, manifold, (finish tightening the turbo locating bolts that you left loose so you could fit the manifold) connect rest of exhaust to down pipe, ic pipes, battery, intake, ic, injectors, spark plugs.

But, you won't be able to use the AEM airbox with the mini battery in the stock location.

You should PM Bryan (RazorLab) and see what he will charge you for a base map to get you going, no way you should even consider driving the car on the stock tune other than moving it around in the driveway / shop and even then not until the injectors are scaled.

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jun 4, 2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Mad_SB, some great info mate.

Yeah I missed injectors on my list. I didn't think they'd be required as I'm not chasing big numbers (330awhp and 300tq). I thought the stock parts would fit the bill but if injector duty cycles will be close to 90% then I should probably reconsider. I hope a bigger fuel pump isn't needed also. Would you recommend Evo X DeatschWerks 850cc injectors to do the trick?

Yes I've PM'd Bryan (Razorlab) already so I'm really hoping we can get something going there.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Someone fix me, the boost pill would be safer than the solenoid? No?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

NICE! Wish I had the personal fortitude to hold on until I've sourced all my parts; but I dont have the patience and tend to piece-meal as I go along ;D
Looks like a really strong set-up you've got there, can't wait to see the results!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

To Jechtt ...

I got this from a local tuners website. I think it sums it up rather well.

Factory Boost Pill Upgrade - the simplest, cheapest and for majority of customers, most effective method. Fitment of a smaller boost pill allows the boost level to be upgraded at all rpm levels. Side effects of this method, is that because boost is always being fed to the waste gate actuator, it does bleed off slightly earlier than other methods, and does not peak as early. This system requires retuning of the factory ECU. This system is good for up to 25 psi with no side effects and is the perfect choice for daily driven vehicles for smooth power delivery.

Fitment of 3 Port Boost Solenoid - again utilising the factory ECU for control of boost. The factory 2 port / boost pill setup is replaced with an after market 3 port solenoid. By using 3 ports, boost is held off the waste gate actuator until the last possible moment, allowing the boost level to reach the desired point as early as possible. This system requires significantly more tuning of boost with the factory ECU, but provides the same level of boost control as after market units. This provides a very aggressive boost and power curve, providing that typical kick or push on acceleration as it hits peak boost. This system can allow peak boost to also be created earlier, by as much as 250 - 500 rpm over the stock setup.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jechttt
Someone fix me, the boost pill would be safer than the solenoid? No?
Well with the boost pill, whatever size you have in there is it. With the Grimmspeed you have much more control over how much boost you want to run.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, I'm sorry I meant specifically for the TC SST.
EDIT_ Also meant to comment on the other stuff: Jealous.

Last edited by Jechttt; Jun 4, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
NICE! Wish I had the personal fortitude to hold on until I've sourced all my parts; but I dont have the patience and tend to piece-meal as I go along ;D
Looks like a really strong set-up you've got there, can't wait to see the results!
Thanks sstevojr, yeah it's certainly been a long waiting game for me but I feel like I can't wait any longer
I'll be updating this thread as I progress so hopefully I'll have some nice results to show you.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jechttt
Oh, I'm sorry I meant specifically for the TC SST.
EDIT_ Also meant to comment on the other stuff: Jealous.
I think that depends more on how you deliver the power. A good tune should be able to provide safe results with either option.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
I think that depends more on how you deliver the power over. A good tune should be able to provide safe results with either option.
Thank you!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

AEM Intake: when you install the AMS small battery in it's intended location (from AMS's instructions), the BOX enclosure for the intake won't fit. the intake tube and cone filter will. Bryan@GST has a clear example, as he runs his AEM intake without the box for now

Not to promote myself or my product, but I'm currently working on a small battery bracket to solve this very issue with boxed-intakes (either stock Evo X or aftermarket). Keep an eye on my preview thread if you can wait, otherwise install the AEM intake without the box like Bryan did and wait for my bracket, or move it to the trunk like others have done.

and definitely get Evo X spark plugs. Most people just seem to get OEM ones. probably consider this a requirement, not a recommendation
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
AEM Intake: when you install the AMS small battery in it's intended location (from AMS's instructions), the BOX enclosure for the intake won't fit. the intake tube and cone filter will. Bryan@GST has a clear example, as he runs his AEM intake without the box for now

Not to promote myself or my product, but I'm currently working on a small battery bracket to solve this very issue with boxed-intakes (either stock Evo X or aftermarket). Keep an eye on my preview thread if you can wait, otherwise install the AEM intake without the box like Bryan did and wait for my bracket, or move it to the trunk like others have done.

and definitely get Evo X spark plugs. Most people just seem to get OEM ones. probably consider this a requirement, not a recommendation
Hey Exyia, thanks for the info. Yes I've seen Bryan's intake setup and expect mine will look much the same for now. I've already put my hand up as interested in your bracket in the thread How's that going btw?

Cheers for confirming the spark plugs, I'm going to pick some up this week.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
Hey Exyia, thanks for the info. Yes I've seen Bryan's intake setup and expect mine will look much the same for now. I've already put my hand up as interested in your bracket in the thread How's that going btw?

Cheers for confirming the spark plugs, I'm going to pick some up this week.
first prototype was test-fitted, many notes and adjustments were marked and noted (pics in the thread). definitely being very thorough since JTran Studios and I think this is a very critical and potentially dangerous piece if done poorly. awaiting second prototype with noted adjustments to test fit that. I'm hoping it will come out perfect where we won't need to make a 3rd, then production!!!!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

^ Great news! I'll keep a close eye on your progress that's for sure.

Back on my build ... so injectors are being recommended but would I need to look at the fuel pump as well? I'm aiming for around 320 to 340whp.

Quick Reply: Big upgrades, some questions.