Notices

GT3076r swap?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT3076r swap?

Just wanna get some thoughts on what people think. Im assuming a new clutch would have to be installed?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

clutch?? I'm going to assume you mean the clutch discs, as in taking out the clutch basket...?
All depends on the tune, and your goals. Talk with a tuner who is very familiar with the MR and RA.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Cobb tuning in Plano tx just did an ssp 600hp disc install not too long ago on an MR. I know for sure they are going to recommend better cams too since that's the next thing holding true power back.

214-291-3020
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Better off just putting a CBRD BBX on the car. Flows more, more stealth. Win Win.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krisko
I know for sure they are going to recommend better cams too since that's the next thing holding true power back.
lolwut.jpg

That is a very expensive proposition.

To the OP: You can swap your turbocharger for whatever you want. I am with razorlab. I am a big fan of CBRD products. I will continue to order from Chad in the future. No reason, in my mind, to go anywhere else.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; Jun 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

You can make 500whp on a low read mustang dyno with the stock cams. I'd say that is the last thing I would recommend while still on the stock motor.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still on the fence about stock frame vs T3 (ETS kit to be specific)

disclaimer: I can live with some lag and I don't care about the stock stealth-ish look; I don't need super fast spool. I think the SST hides lag pretty well with no drop between shifts

for lower-budget cost, FPGreen/BBX-Lite make sense if it's what you're looking for

but I have trouble convincing myself on the bigger stock-frames (BBX, FPBlack, maybe FPRed). You have to push much higher boost, which is more stress than a bigger turbo running lower boost. But the bigger problem is the cost they charge for these - 2k and up, AND THEN appropriate add-ons to support it. That much for something still "stock-ish" in spool. I've driven tons of Evo X's from work and I think I'm already bored with the X turbo before it's even on my RA. Yeah, people claim FPRed/BBX "spools like stock but has more top end". Well, just using my imagination, I can already imagine what it feels like.

it just seems like I could save up a little more and get a full kit with much more potential AND a much different feel/character. something that completely changes the car, because past the 2.5k-3k cost, that's what I'm expecting - not something that "feels like stock but has more _____, just a little different ____". If I'm spending over 2k, I feel like I should get something completely different out of it

that's just me though, I'm still debating this while I'm getting the battery bracket made so I've been researching every thread since the X came out - still somewhat undecided
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
You can make 500whp on a low read mustang dyno with the stock cams. I'd say that is the last thing I would recommend while still on the stock motor.
For serious. No matter how my car ends up, in the long run, I will err on the side of caution whenever possible. I would argue against aggressive timing and fueling with this car. That has been the way of things, thus far.

Plus, I cannot believe that COBB would say something to the effect of "camshafts are the only way to make true power." That is a great facility. I really appreciate the work that they have done and continue to do. I also appreciate everything that tephra has done and continues to do there. I look forward to the developments as they unfold from them.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
For serious. No matter how my car ends up, in the long run, I will err on the side of caution whenever possible. I would argue against aggressive timing and fueling with this car. That has been the way of things, thus far.

Plus, I cannot believe that COBB would say something to the effect of "camshafts are the only way to make true power." That is a great facility. I really appreciate the work that they have done and continue to do. I also appreciate everything that tephra has done and continues to do there. I look forward to the developments as they unfold from them.
Cobb didn't say it's the only way to make true power. I don't think that was even something I said. What they said was the next restriction when going to something bigger than an Evo X OEM turbo is the oem camshaft. Looks of their tunes and dyno graphs have proven this true. A FP Whatever-kind on stock cams is going to have lower numbers than an FP Whatever-kind with Kelfold 214-B's

http://accessecu.com/dyno/graph.php?...rgb2=204000000

Last edited by Krisko; Jun 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Exyia
I'm still on the fence about stock frame vs T3 (ETS kit to be specific)
Eh, after seeing what the curves look like with Bryan's setup (BBX-Lite), I am sold. The price is right. The power is there.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Cobb didn't say it's the only way to make true power. I don't think that was even something I said. What they said was the next restriction when going to something bigger than an Evo X OEM turbo is the oem camshaft. Looks of their tunes and dyno graphs have proven this true.
Given that 1% of Evo 10 owners make 500whp, stock camshafts are not a restriction to 99% of you.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Hope this helps

http://accessecu.com/dyno/graph.php?...rgb2=204000000

Nevermind, check the graph in my last post
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Nevermind, check the graph in my last post
Sorry Kelford B's do not make 60whp at that level. Stating that is setting up people on this forum for disappointment when they end up not gaining even half that after dropping $1500. Your graph you posted is not telling the whole story at all. I can assume maybe the first graph ran out of fuel, hence they car not being revved out the same and the 2nd graph having larger fuel injectors added as well as the cams.

It seems some simple concepts are lost on some people.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 18, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Ah, that's right. I have to keep in mind I'm not an engineer. So I don't know anything and have to take your word for it. Other than the fact that a large number of people around Dallas, TX would agree cams make a difference, I'll just have to deal with the fact I'm suppose to just drive my car and just take peoples word against what I've seen.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Ah, that's right. I have to keep in mind I'm not an engineer. So I don't know anything and have to take your word for it. Other than the fact that a large number of people around Dallas, TX would agree cams make a difference, I'll just have to deal with the fact I'm suppose to just drive my car and just take peoples word against what I've seen.
Again, concept lost. I did not say they do not make a difference. Read the details. Again.