Notices

Oil Pan Gasket Leak

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pan Gasket Leak

How likely would it be with bolt ons and a tune running 24 psi that it would create enough crack case pressure to make the oil pan gasket start to leak?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Id say pretty low, Ive never seen anyone mention this as an issue and there are plenty of people running much more aggressive set ups than bolt ons and tunes.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Try venting the valve cover to the atmosphere and see if it stops leaking.

If it leaks with the engine at idle or off - it is a gasket and not blow-by pressurizing the oil pan.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and I told them I thought it might be leaking (its not leaking bad at all, no spots where I park and my oils never low). They determined that it was the pan gasket but said the warranty wouldnt cover it because my car was heavily modified (I have a DIY intake, X IC, X BPV, IC piping, gs 3port, exhaust, and a tune lol heavily modified)and the modifications created to much crank case pressure and caused the gasket to fail. I argued with the guy telling him that theres no way my mods would make a gasket start leaking. Later on that day I thought of my dsm and under boost my dip stick would sometimes pop out of the dipstick tube because of the increase in crank case pressure sp I started to question myself. In the end he said he talked to the mitsubishi rep and he said they might cover it but I have to take my car up there and theyre going to take pictures of my engine bay, leak, ect. Im kinda hesitant to do this incase theres some real problem down the line and Mitsubishi has proof that it has been modified.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

First- make sure it IS leaking and when.

If it leaks with the engine off - bad gasket. Unless it is pushed out - no 'modding' or crankcase pressure did it.

If it indeed is putting pressure through the crankcase ('popping the dipstick')- you need to check compression. Do a compression leak down test. You have a bigger/more expensive problem - because, yeah, they won't cover that...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RalliMark
In the end he said he talked to the mitsubishi rep and he said they might cover it but I have to take my car up there and theyre going to take pictures of my engine bay, leak, ect. Im kinda hesitant to do this incase theres some real problem down the line and Mitsubishi has proof that it has been modified.
too late

your modifications, if they havent already will be documented in wording, the photos are just wanted for 100% proof. As the dealership has already talked to a mitsubishi rep who has most likely already made a notation for MMNA records.

you made a mistake when you took your modified ralliart into a dealership for an oil change.

I dont care if you have free oil changes for life...the $30-60 it takes to DIY or pay an oil place to do it would have also kept your warranty intact (for the most part).

I dont know how many times people say it on this forum but the only time to take the car to the dealership is when you have an issue or when you would like to buy a new car. When you do take it in for an issue put it back to stock, it will most likely only take a few hours to a day of time.

Good luck with everything and I hope the problems get resolved, i also hope nothing else starts acting up as you most likely wont be covered by

If you want to keep the slightest chance you can get issues covered under warranty down the road do not take your modified car back to that dealership as they will most likely photograph your mods for MMNA.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliMark
Later on that day I thought of my dsm and under boost my dip stick would sometimes pop out of the dipstick tube because of the increase in crank case pressure.
^ This.

If you were pressurizing the crankcase enough to rupture a seal, you'd be shooting your dipstick out of the tube every time you went wot. That's why you always remove the dipstick when you boost-leak test, just in case.

Mitsu has had intermittant, minor issues with gaskets and seals seeping, from forever in the past up to even on their newest models, many of which are still listed in active TSB's. There's no reason that this shouldn't be covered because of modification. It's a poor excuse being made by a lazy dealership.

If you are denied at the dealership/district-representative level, be very polite about the situation and make sure to let them know that you'll be contacting the corporate office of MMNA. Then, when you get home, start blasting-off phone calls and e-mails to anyone who's information you can get ahold of, and C.C. everybody else involved on every single one(again, just remember that politeness and professionality will get you much further in these situations than irrational outbursts)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Kyle. Sucks I missed the shootout. What do u think about the picture thing and further warranty issues or am I pretty much done with the engine/trans warranty since its been tuned.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on what you need done. If you blow your turbo or something you're probably screwed, but they're not going to off your warranty completely. It's on a case-to-case basis. Mitsu can be strict about a lot of things, but they're usually not total a-holes.

When we take pics, it's usually only of the specific concern area and a pic of the vin plate and a pic of the mileage on the MID. If they say they need to take any other pics, they're being jerks and TRYING to get out of doing the work and say you are ineligible for warranty. Are there any other dealerships near you?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah there are other dealerships. Ill just go back up there and find out what their next move is.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

OP: do you know what is causing the leak yet? Bad gasket or 'over pressurizing the oil pan'?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Im pretty sure its a bad gasket. The leak is so small its hard to tell.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

It's more than likely just a seeping gasket, but the dealership is being difficult
Old Dec 14, 2015, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had my 2011 Ralliart in at Mitsubishi on Sat. for an oil change. It has a leaking oil pan gasket. First oil change, no issues. Since mods (upper and lower ic pipes, bigger intercooler, boost pill, test pipe etc.) pan is now leaking so I would think it is the pressure in the crank case causing it. Its not that bad, as we say in military maintenance terms, a CL II leak, forming drops it will need attention soon. The service rep said they will fix it under warranty. It will survive this oil change and will be dealt with on the next one. I plan on doing a breather box to help with this issue to be safe.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

LOL! USAF Hydraulics Class II Leak: "Can I jump over the puddle?" Y/N?

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket Leak