Notices

ACD Service Required

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD Service Required

Today the ACD Service Required light popped on the RA. Since its Labor Day weekend I can not get into the shop till Wednesday of next week. The RA did not throw any codes.

I have not noticed and issues... I did some research and Im leaning towards the ACD pump is shot! or its low on fluid. but what do I know...

Anyone have any issues with this before? I used the search button but haven't found anything really helpful...

Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem maybe and possibly where to start?

Thanks in Advance!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by >Cataclysm<
Today the ACD Service Required light popped on the RA. Since its Labor Day weekend I can not get into the shop till Wednesday of next week. The RA did not throw any codes.

I have not noticed and issues... I did some research and Im leaning towards the ACD pump is shot! or its low on fluid. but what do I know...

Anyone have any issues with this before? I used the search button but haven't found anything really helpful...

Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem maybe and possibly where to start?

Thanks in Advance!
I have gone through this before...first the dealership "re flashed" the code due to new programming for the ACD control. Well, it kept blinking for about 3 weeks or so and I kept bothering the dealer about this saying that it wasn't done right cuz I know it in my feeling and reading about others that went through the same situation. So I finally stood up to them and said, you know what, get this **** done right and redo the work, then off they went and found out it was to be the pump that went out and then saying it wasn't under warranty....I said why? Cuz it is considered auxiliary luxury item for the AWD control. Then I say if it considered a luxury item but has to be used with the AWD control system, then it is a driveline issue that "depends" on it, so fix it under the aftermarket warranty and off they went to do this and got that covered.

I don't want to scare on this but how many miles do you have? Hope this will work out man. Just have them look at it and take it from there. You can drive it since it is in a safe (trip) mode now. But how much driving are you planning to do? Sorry to hear about this especially being on a weekend like this.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

So this might be considered something under the powertrain warranty?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2K2EVO
So this might be considered something under the powertrain warranty?

We do know how this "works" with the powertrain system along with our AWD control but the Mitsubishi says it is a "luxury" item, so therefore it will NOT be covered under powertrain. But if you have it under 36K miles, then it will be covered unless you have an aftermarket warranty to cover whatever that do not cover after 36K miles. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

45k miles and I knew it wouldn't be covered but just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue.

I wont be driving much. After I turned my car off the light never came back on
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Read your manual, it talks specifically about the ACD light and what it means (i.e. does it turn off when you re-start the car, or is it still on).
Old Sep 3, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by >Cataclysm<
45k miles and I knew it wouldn't be covered but just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue.

I wont be driving much. After I turned my car off the light never came back on

It can set you back a good $1700 to $1900 for the part and labor alone. It costed me a good $1900 for it.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Read your manual, it talks specifically about the ACD light and what it means (i.e. does it turn off when you re-start the car, or is it still on).

Which manual? The main one or the Ralliart spec? I do not see anything on mine..could it be the 2009 did not have this dotted down on the manual?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 08:16 PM

i had the acd light come on in my 2009 ralliart as well. it would not come on right away at first only when driving (transmission heated up) then came on all the time by the time i could get an apointment. braught it to the dealer and they said the acd pump was not working properly or at all. they replaced it with no issues under the 100k powertrain warrenty. My transmission has some issues with the gears now and is jerky at various loads/gear changes but isnt "broke" enough for them to warrent a transmission change but as for the pump they changed it right away with no hassles. i live in canada but dont think it should be any different anywhere else?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone found a service interval for the ACD fluid?

I had mine changed today, and will be doing so ever 2 years or so going forward in the absence of any formal schedule from Mitsubishi. The fluid looked to be clean, but I'm tracking the car so I'd like to stay on the safe side. The fluid isn't very expensive either.

The pump itself looked good and has been covered in anti-corrosion spray. Fingers-crossed it all remains healthy.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
Has anyone found a service interval for the ACD fluid?

I had mine changed today, and will be doing so ever 2 years or so going forward in the absence of any formal schedule from Mitsubishi. The fluid looked to be clean, but I'm tracking the car so I'd like to stay on the safe side. The fluid isn't very expensive either.

The pump itself looked good and has been covered in anti-corrosion spray. Fingers-crossed it all remains healthy.
According to Mitsubishi the fluid never needs to be changed, The fluid is there to activate a hydraulic solenoid and is housed in a sealed system, so it is unlikely it will ever get dirty.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info.

I may push my ACD service interval out to 3 or 4 years in that case, but I have a hard time believing there is absolutely no degradation of the fluid over time, sealed system or not.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I had this problem too. my dealer re-flashed mine also. I was concerned that it may be more. So the tech came out and walked me through the Mitsubishi flow chart for this problem. They said this was covered under power/drive train till 60k. but since we had started the process while under warranty and it went out after warranty they would still honor it.

But my dealer is also cool with all my mods, haven't even said anything about my CEL for my test pipe.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Here is my story:

http://onematt.blogspot.com/2011/06/...acd-issue.html
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

It will also give you the "Service Required" if:
1)You are using different tires, as it "thinks" they are spinning out of sync
2) You go through a low pressure/temp drop situation

The owner's manual says that for #2 the system is registering a "potential change in viscosity" of the fluid. Pull over and turn the car off; when you re-start it if the light is off you are fine. If the light stays on, or persistently turns on over and over, then actual service is required.