Notices

Manny Tranny

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richardjh
> LOOK

YOU ARE IN A TWISTY MAZE OF WIRING LOOMS, ALL ALIKE.

> GO WEST

YOU HAVE FOUND THE ECU

> TAKE ECU

YOU CANNOT PICK UP THIS OBJECT

> FLASH ECU

DISASTER! YOU HAVE BRICKED THE ECU!

Rich
I laughed so hard to this lmfao
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

The swap has been done already ONCE and it is far from being easy or cheap. It involves rearranging the floorboard to make the trans fit and many other mods $1500 trans and a lot in labor and if not done right the integrity of the chassis is at play. By the time you put in the proper clutch to take the beating and add labor it will cost about the same, but you will have a stronger trans
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RA173
The swap has been done already ONCE and it is far from being easy or cheap. It involves rearranging the floorboard to make the trans fit and many other mods $1500 trans and a lot in labor and if not done right the integrity of the chassis is at play. By the time you put in the proper clutch to take the beating and add labor it will cost about the same, but you will have a stronger trans
Link or it didn't happen
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Can you show me a photo with the 5spd or SST transmission anywhere close to the CZ4A/CY4A chassis floor? The trans is slightly in front of the front axles. Not anywhere close to the floorboards. Even the transfer case, which is basically behind the transmission isn't close to the floorboards and is in the same location on both cars.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It never happened in an RA. I know of what you speak.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
It never happened in an RA. I know of what you speak.
I think he's talking about the car that started it's life as a regular lancer gts right
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I agree that this can be done. I just don't see the point. After you spend all of your nonet trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, the end result is only a minor improvement over the original product. Since the evo and ra are practically identical from a drivetrain perspective, there is no engineering knowledge to be gained from a tranny swap.

You must also consider that the resulting vehicle will be neither fish nor fowl, and will be looked upon as a hack job regardless of the quality of installation.

That being said, I do not intend my words to dissuade anyone from attempting this swap. I only want them to understand the ramifications involved.

Last edited by jkennedy293; Oct 13, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I would personally only do this swap if the SST fails
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adog
I think he's talking about the car that started it's life as a regular lancer gts right
Yes. And that car works perfectly. However, as was said, it does require some doing to make that work. It had nothing to do with the transmission.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

It would suck if someone went thru all this trouble and next year Mitsubishi released the 5 speed.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
So to summarize...

if you used a EVO 9 5 speed it would bolt up - but the ECU might generate a failure indication for the AYC (which would turn the function 'off')...

But would the total cost (wrecked evo 9 tranny, shifter assy. and pedal set) be cheaper than the cost of a used TC-SST (asuming i would do all labor on both)?

Thanks for this valuable discussion - especially the pix!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
So to summarize...

if you used a EVO 9 5 speed it would bolt up - but the ECU might generate a failure indication for the AYC (which would turn the function 'off')...

But would the total cost (wrecked evo 9 tranny, shifter assy. and pedal set) be cheaper than the cost of a used TC-SST (asuming i would do all labor on both)?

Thanks for this valuable discussion - especially the pix!
No the evo 9 trans won't work the evo x is the one that should bolt up.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
I agree that this can be done. I just don't see the point. After you spend all of your nonet trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, the end result is only a minor improvement over the original product. Since the evo and ra are practically identical from a drivetrain perspective, there is no engineering knowledge to be gained from a tranny swap.

You must also consider that the resulting vehicle will be neither fish nor fowl, and will be looked upon as a hack job regardless of the quality of installation.

That being said, I do not intend my words to dissuade anyone from attempting this swap. I only want them to understand the ramifications involved.

I do not intend my words
The point is that the sst is not serviceable. I don't want to give up my lightning quick transmission shifts but when the transmission fails and it will fail because nothing is forever are you really going to want to spend 12k to fix it. If a 5spd is created from a ralliart it will never be looked at as an abomination because more than half the people here wanted stickshift to begin with. In the end you won't be left with the same car different transmission, it will actually open up a world of different things you can do because you won't have the transmission as the cars bottle neck
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

the WORKS Ralliart is 5speed converted. was done in the extremely early days before anybody knew anything of the SST, and it seems they didn't want to waste time.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Exyia
the WORKS Ralliart is 5speed converted. was done in the extremely early days before anybody knew anything of the SST, and it seems they didn't want to waste time.
Are you sure about this? Can you reference something to back this up? Everything I have seen has shown it as still a SST equipped car.

If you are talking about their "touring" lancer it started life as a base lancer, not a ralliart.

Look on their site at news. It lists the Rally Ralliart as still having a SST trans, with upgraded clutches, fluid and cooling.

Article from 2010 with SST:

http://issuu.com/autoeclectic/docs/a...&pageNumber=94

Article from 2009 with SST:

http://octanereport.com/tuned-cars/2...rally-car.html

Guys, please post FACTUAL information in this thread. There is so much assumption and misinformation being posted....

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Manny Tranny