Notices

Why to buy CBRD RAD Turbo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011 | 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Snipingdude
So what are your ideas on max hp output for the RAD plus proper supporting bolt-on mods? Are we looking at a climax of 350?
It's going to depend on who's numbers you're using and whether you're running 91, 93, e85, or race fuel.

If you use my stock-turbo numbers, for example, with a 25% increase from the RAD (that is what's projected, right?), would put you in the 340hp range on a Mustang Dyno on 93 pump gas
Old Nov 1, 2011 | 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

^^ yeah thats impressive..Im looking to reach a goal of about 310-325...

Currently I have an Evo X IC, Depo HFC, Boost Pill, 3in catback, K&N drop-in, GST tune plus will be upgrading fuel pump and 800cc fuel injectors on 93 octane...

and oh Chi, is the blacqops fuel pump kit for the Evo X the one we would use for the Ralliart as well?? Just curious if you knew
Old Nov 1, 2011 | 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

OK, now that it's official :tiphattochi:
I find the 4B11T really starts to sing above 4k rpm. Nothing sounds quite so sweet as late breaking into a turn, down shifting into 2nd hitting 4k rpm, and listening to the engine sing as I blast off past the apex! Truly exhilarating, this is what makes my pulse race when driving this car I listen to other cars who sometimes attempt to keep up, and their engine's say "do I really need to do this??" rather than "finally! the reigns have been released!"
Now, in order to get the most from +4k rpm a larger turbo is necessary. We can see from most every dyno that by 4k max torque has come and gone, and is dropping off pretty severely on the stock RA turbo. The fact that the RAD can carry a flat torque curve all the way to 4.8k is REALLY something, considering the tiny size of the stock frame; let alone max power lasting until ~6.2k. I can just imagine how much fun this turbo must be in a "canyon like" environment (my backyard)
BUT....with that said it just doesn't hold a candle to a fully tuned stock X turbo's torque curve. It's not uncommon with all bolt-on's to see max torque by 3.2k carrying flat all the way 6k. That flat torque is the fun zone, and nearly 3k rpm worth of it
With all that said, we are still missing one VERY key piece of data though:
No one has come forward with a fully bolted fully tuned RAD dyno sheet. Until that time, we are all just postulating

Last edited by sstevojr; Nov 1, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

here is my dyno sheet with the RAD (mods are ecutek, rad lite, 3" tbe exhaust, 100 cell cat, evo x cooler & hard pipe kit, 3 port, cosworth drop in filter & evo x bov) - stock reading 142kw and final reading 204kw

Last edited by billyboy1; Nov 2, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Exyia
You pick your turbo for the powerband and spool you want - not the numbers.
The upgraded waste-gate actuator is worth the price of admission. You aren't just getting a slightly larger turbocharger. You are getting a unit that can take one hell of a beating (much more so than a stock X unit).
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Exyia
it's a pretty big investment that you will probably never get back if you decide to sell the car or you wanted more power later on, as the labor to remove it and install the stock might be just as much as its worth.
That is the point. It isn't a huge investment. It may cost a few hundred dollars more than an Evo X swap (big deal), but it is certainly a very nice upgrade. You knock it, but I have a feeling that you have never driven a car with an RAD in it. It is fine for MOST people.
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
That is the point. It isn't a huge investment. It may cost a few hundred dollars more than an Evo X swap (big deal), but it is certainly a very nice upgrade. You knock it, but I have a feeling that you have never driven a car with an RAD in it. It is fine for MOST people.
Was waiting for you to jump into this thread. I figure the RAD is cheaper once you get into all the additional costs of the X swap (lines, relocate battery, intake fab, etc.)
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EyeDreamt
Was waiting for you to jump into this thread. I figure the RAD is cheaper once you get into all the additional costs of the X swap (lines, relocate battery, intake fab, etc.)
In Canada, for those interested, a RAD upgrade is MUCH cheaper than an X swap. Prices for parts here are ~25% more than in the states. This adds up when buying all the little bits.
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I think its cheaper no matter where you are... I'm looking at around $ 1300 for parts, and then comes installation and tune but thats for both of them
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 11:04 AM
EvoM Guru

and oh Chi, is the blacqops fuel pump kit for the Evo X the one we would use for the Ralliart as well?? Just curious if you knew
Yes.
Old Nov 2, 2011 | 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yes.
Thank You good sir...thats my plan with the RAD, is to have all supporting mods plus the upgrade in the fuel pump and injectors and have it tuned by Bryan or Chad.

UPDATE QUESTION....

Is an aftermarket fuel rail necessary as well or recommended? I know Boomba sells one but no one ever mentioned swapping this out so I was just curious...and Billyboy1 what are your kW numbers translated into HP?? Around 270+? guestimate

Last edited by Snipingdude; Nov 2, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2011 | 08:46 AM

Nice numbers you have there BillyBoy!! Interested to know how much was the RAD, taking into consideration postage etc to Australia? Did you send them your turbo? How long did it take all up from ordering unit to receiving it?
Cheers
Old Nov 3, 2011 | 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Thank You good sir...thats my plan with the RAD, is to have all supporting mods plus the upgrade in the fuel pump and injectors and have it tuned by Bryan or Chad.

UPDATE QUESTION....

Is an aftermarket fuel rail necessary as well or recommended? I know Boomba sells one but no one ever mentioned swapping this out so I was just curious...and Billyboy1 what are your kW numbers translated into HP?? Around 270+? guestimate
If you are on pump gas, you don't even need to upgrade the fuel pump for the RAD. I ran a CBRD BBX Lite with OEM fuel pump, but upgraded injectors, on 91 octane.

No fuel rail needed with any stock appearing turbo upgrade.
Old Nov 3, 2011 | 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Do not buy the MAP or UR fuel pump kits. They don't work correctly.

Boombo has been proven to work. Blaq-Ops has been proven to work.
Old Nov 3, 2011 | 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE QUESTION....

Hp numbers are stock 190 and with all mods 273

Hecky: postage was around $150 one way, but I actually bought rider sober's rad turbo

Like Bryan said, stock fuel system coped quite well with the rad on pump gas

Quick Reply: Why to buy CBRD RAD Turbo Upgrade?