Notices

Why to buy CBRD RAD Turbo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we've had nothing but issues with the aftermarket fuel pump setups because of the lines kinking etc---

I have made 450whp on 93 octane with big injectors and a stock fuel pump-

cb
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
The upgraded waste-gate actuator is worth the price of admission. You aren't just getting a slightly larger turbocharger. You are getting a unit that can take one hell of a beating (much more so than a stock X unit).
going to have to disagree with that. I don't see an upgraded WGA as a selling point. they're cheap and easily replaceable on the X as well before the turbo is installed. And I would say the oem X turbo has a higher reliability rate

That is the point. It isn't a huge investment. It may cost a few hundred dollars more than an Evo X swap (big deal), but it is certainly a very nice upgrade. You knock it, but I have a feeling that you have never driven a car with an RAD in it. It is fine for MOST people.
I was referring to the labor cost as the "huge investment". when an average person pays for labor, it's pretty much dead money. if you sell/trade the RA, you can't really make that money back, since you'd have to pay for labor to uninstall it just to sell the turbo - probably wouldn't come close to covering the total cost of a turbo swap. That's why I emphasize to average owners, who are probably going to be paying for the labor to install, to give this some serious thought. sure the RAD might save you ~$500 NOW, but in the end what are you getting just to save ~$500? If you budget properly, another $500 shouldn't be anything more than a few more paychecks and saving up.

And no, I haven't driven a RAD, but I've driven plenty of other X turbo setups, so I'm fortunate enough to experience the changes of a real turbo swap and how those dyno charts translate to the butt dyno. And when I switched tuners with a street tune (no dyno numbers), being completely oblivious to hp/tq numbers was an eye-opener to me. Knowing that, I'm not impressed from the few results that I see, how small the frame is already, and combined with the above point about labor cost, I would rather "most" people just consider saving that money or using it elsewhere.

And just so it's clear since people keep asking:
OEM Fuel System - Injectors AND Pump - are 100% fine for the RAD turbo. No upgrade necessary
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

One never really gets their money back from mods

I've been pretty happy with the rad - easily revs past 4k rpm to redline(unlike the stock turbs) with the drivability really improving. Didn't lose anything downlow with gains up top. While it was only a 20kw upgrade, that number doesn't do it justice, the response retained with the extra oomph makes its a decent upgrade. The time taken to install with myself and a mate was about 6hrs vs 16hrs for the evo x swap (time quoted by my tuner for the x swap). My next track day is in march, so will have to wait till then to see the improvements in time
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
I was referring to the labor cost as the "huge investment". when an average person pays for labor, it's pretty much dead money. if you sell/trade the RA, you can't really make that money back, since you'd have to pay for labor to uninstall it just to sell the turbo - probably wouldn't come close to covering the total cost of a turbo swap. That's why I emphasize to average owners, who are probably going to be paying for the labor to install, to give this some serious thought. sure the RAD might save you ~$500 NOW, but in the end what are you getting just to save ~$500? If you budget properly, another $500 shouldn't be anything more than a few more paychecks and saving up.
Whered u get the $500. If we use ur forsale thread as an example of a full X swap then its more like $800.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliMark
Whered u get the $500. If we use ur forsale thread as an example of a full X swap then its more like $800.
I had to sell it for _much_ less - if you shop around, the X swap parts are NOT expensive. there are tons of online vendors out there with OEM parts, it doesn't have to be through Mitsubishi themselves
Old Nov 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Oh really what u sell it for. Your post said 1600 shipped and when I asked ur best price on it u said it was firm. How much do u think a Rad cost?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliMark
Oh really what u sell it for. Your post said 1600 shipped and when I asked ur best price on it u said it was firm. How much do u think a Rad cost?
it was firm until the buyer showed me his research on other places he could buy the parts for cheaper online, so I lowered the price accordingly. the total cost difference is only about $500 more compared to a RAD
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

it was firm until the buyer showed me his research on other places he could buy the parts for cheaper online, so I lowered the price accordingly. the total cost difference is only about $500 more compared to a RAD
For parts... and then at least 2 hours more for the install, probably more at $60/hr labor (I'm being VERY VERY conservative in these estimates)... so that's about 620 more total. Is $620 worth the extra gains the X Turbo gives (which no one has definitively proven cause we dont have a car that had both done and dyno'd on the same dyno). And then you take into account that we're talking used stuff on an x swap vs a rebuilt/reconditioned turbo for the RAD.... $620 may be worth it to some people, and to others, maybe not. It really depends what you want. I for one would much rather go with the RAD and put that $620 to suspension or better yet brake upgrades to handle the damn near 100HP over stock your looking at..

Last edited by EyeDreamt; Nov 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was referring to the labor cost as the "huge investment". when an average person pays for labor, it's pretty much dead money. if you sell/trade the RA, you can't really make that money back, since you'd have to pay for labor to uninstall it just to sell the turbo - probably wouldn't come close to covering the total cost of a turbo swap.
For me, that particular modification was a mere drop in the proverbial bucket. I spent the majority of my time...elsewhere...and you know exactly where that elsewhere was.

How do you like the X, by the way? I am in the process of buying one, as well.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

For me, that particular modification was a mere drop in the proverbial bucket. I spent the majority of my time...elsewhere...and you know exactly where that elsewhere was.

How do you like the X, by the way? I am in the process of buying one, as well.
it's awesome and should have gone with it first. I just didn't think I could afford an Evo at such a young age, so I just went straight with the Ralliart. I did learn a lot from the RA though so it wasn't a waste. though, it's unbelievably refreshing to start with a clean slate, especially when your car has been tinkered with so many times by so many people for R&D

since mine's an SST (you're getting a GSR right?), S-Sport makes a massive difference, even on the butt-dyno. I can see what I was missing out on now, and why the RA's need it. SST TCU really needs to be cracked

haven't had time to mod mine yet, getting lots of track time to make sure what really needs upgrading - one thing I learned on the RA the hard way - not to just buy parts as if they're a to-do list

Last edited by Exyia; Nov 4, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah, I am going with the GSR. I don't have patience for the TC-SST anymore. I can imagine that S-Sport mode makes a world of difference.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I am going with the GSR. I don't have patience for the TC-SST anymore. I can imagine that S-Sport mode makes a world of difference.
oh, and you'll soon realize how overrated AYC is

I'm an experienced driver, so I take my corners with confidence, and I can feel where my body roll/motion is - but with the AYC, all of sudden the car makes adjustments and then I lose my reference/prediction of adhesion. It also makes slaloms a ***** as well with the stock suspension. I often miss the simplicity of the RA's non-AYC AWD and lighter weight

those that have regrets and think the Evo's suspension is god-like, there's nothing wrong with the RA's. The closest most people get to racing is their auto-cross, and the RA is definitely a better car for it.

anyway, enough off-topic. sorry
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

The car I have pending sale has RobiSpec KW coilovers. That will be the game-changer.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

What are the 1/4 mile times can we expect with the RAD assuming we have full supporting mods (IC, DP, HFC/TP, 3in CBE, intake, hard piping, injectors and pump)?

And if we do swap out the injectors for this are they plug and play? I wasnt too sure because of the change in cc capability. Anyone know the p/n for the ID's??
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snipingdude
What are the 1/4 mile times can we expect with the RAD assuming we have full supporting mods (IC, DP, HFC/TP, 3in CBE, intake, hard piping, injectors and pump)?

And if we do swap out the injectors for this are they plug and play? I wasnt too sure because of the change in cc capability. Anyone know the p/n for the ID's??
The Evo X ID injectors fit perfectly on the Ralliart. However, you really don't need them or the pump.

Quick Reply: Why to buy CBRD RAD Turbo Upgrade?