Notices

Why to buy CBRD RAD Turbo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012 | 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

The RAD has a power band to the right, the X to the left. Similar results, just depends on what your use is. If I was an Autocrosser I'd like the RAD, but I'm a Road Racer and depend on the higher rpms.
The RAD is very good at what it does, so long as you are ok with being topped out. I'd still like to see a RAD with over sized intake valves and high duration cams....
Old Jan 29, 2012 | 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I'd still like to see a RAD with over sized intake valves and high duration cams....

+1. Even something like MX1's would be interesting.
Old Jan 29, 2012 | 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
The RAD has a power band to the right, the X to the left. Similar results, just depends on what your use is. If I was an Autocrosser I'd like the RAD, but I'm a Road Racer and depend on the higher rpms.
The RAD is very good at what it does, so long as you are ok with being topped out. I'd still like to see a RAD with over sized intake valves and high duration cams....
I'll never understand this reasoning. I auto-x heavily ( http://www. evo x forums .com/forums/showthread.php?t= 57947 ) and with proper driving, I'm always in the upper rpm powerband. If you're seriously dropping below ~3.5k rpm, I'd say you need to just improve your driving. If anything, I'm annoyed that my peak torque output isn't up where I'm revving the car to (its ok, saving for a T3 35R lol )

The X's powerband is just so much fatter than the TD04 RAD, it feels just right with the 4b11t. I don't see a point in wasting such a well built engine block on such a puny turbo - this is an Evo engine, not some turbo'd scoin tC or civic. The fact that people would go as far as to removing the stock turbo but not do X turbo baffles me. why does the RA market want to move farther and farther away from the X's? Isn't the reason you bought an RA because of the similarities? All for $500-$1000? Is your budget really that tight? (I wouldn't be stretching my budget that tight for car mods)

Sometimes I wonder if Mitsu overspent on giving the 4b11t and should have went cheaper like Subaru with the WRX. I thought they were smart in giving customers the real deal, but it seems very few want to utilize it

/endrant
Old Jan 29, 2012 | 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Your in the upper rpm band because you have to be. That's where the torque is. If you could stay in 3rd coming out the corner rather than dropping to 2nd, allowing you a nice looooong revving of torque, would you not do so?
Do I think the stock TD-04 is too small, yes.
Do I can think it can be improved upon, sure.
Do I have a TD-05, you bet!
Old Jan 29, 2012 | 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Freaking Doubles, I don't recall being on clay.
Old Jan 29, 2012 | 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing...

hate sleepless sunday nights
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 01:08 AM

So for a beginner like myself, I'm doing a lot of reading from various posts and this particular thread has me second guessing my original plan. So are we saying that the RAD turbo is not a good buy and to stay away from it or are we saying that it is good if you are not going to be a professional racer? For me all I want is Evo X like power/torque at a reasonable price. I go to car meets/shows and I fart around in the mountains when we go on Runs. But I won't ever race professionally and well, Tuner cars are strictly a weekend hobby for me. So what's the final verdict on this RAD turbo from those who know what they are talking about? RAD turbo a good buy or not?
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ColdNapalm
Okay...so where did you get all the parts needed for an X swap for a grand omegis...because I'm looking around and turbo and manifold usually eats most of that up.

Also while it maybe nice that some can ignore labor cost because they have the place, tools and knoweldge to do it themselves...it's not something that is gonna be a given to everyone and I would hazard even most people...but regardless, if you need to cut out labor and you MUST do it yourself for the X swap to be financially competive with the RAD, then that right there is a pretty dang good reason to pick the RAD now ain't it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-progress.html

And I did it in my one-car garage with basic shop tools from Autzone. There's a how-to posted. BTW, my mechanical skills are decent at best.
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EBL08
So for a beginner like myself, I'm doing a lot of reading from various posts and this particular thread has me second guessing my original plan. So are we saying that the RAD turbo is not a good buy and to stay away from it or are we saying that it is good if you are not going to be a professional racer? For me all I want is Evo X like power/torque at a reasonable price. I go to car meets/shows and I fart around in the mountains when we go on Runs. But I won't ever race professionally and well, Tuner cars are strictly a weekend hobby for me. So what's the final verdict on this RAD turbo from those who know what they are talking about? RAD turbo a good buy or not?
I preach like crazy that Evo X like power/torque does NOT mean the same number output. If you drive two RAs with each turbo, with exact same power outputs, they will still feel vastly different. Any tuner who's sat in tens/hundreds of Evo's will tell you that the turbo defines the car, not it's peak number output

300/300 is just a number. being at 290whp will feel the same as 300whp, just a little faster. Suppose that every dyno in the world will read an RA with full bolt-ons as 300 or 350whp - are you going to be satisfied then?

The reason most RA owners (should) look at a turbo swap is because they're tired of not having any strong power after the 3k rpm spool-up - they want a fatter and more useable powerband. I think the X turbo gives just that for a reasonable price and the benefit of adding 90% of the Evo X aftermarket catalog to choose from
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 08:37 AM
Account Disabled

The RAD was intended to keep people from having to swap EVERYTHING to go to stock X turbo power levels-

it will spool QUICKER than the stock X turbo- and makes similar peak power without having to go to the evo X manifold, downpipe, another intake, turbo, etc---

hope this helps!

cb
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 08:39 AM
Account Disabled

the reason we did our evo X /RA intake is to help bring the cost down as well when people do the swap-

we are just trying to show the RA guys some love

cb
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

people like me appreciate the effort. I'll be looking to upgrade a RA turbo to RAD here in the coming months...
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
You especially should be able to attest that the stock X turbo still falls on its face at higher rpm, the powerband is just a bit broader before it does so.
So, realistically, you are advocating an even bigger turbocharger. I think that we are on the same page.
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 10:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
So, realistically, you are advocating an even bigger turbocharger. I think that we are on the same page.
Im not sure what you guys are expecting out of stock turbos

The idea from us- was evo X power (tuned) out of a Ralliart-

if you want more- It's obvious youll need to upgrade just like a X owner would- to a BBX, FP, MAP- etc-

cb
Old Jan 30, 2012 | 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

I was just messing with him.

Quick Reply: Why to buy CBRD RAD Turbo Upgrade?