Notices

Wideband info

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wideband info

Hey folk, need some advice/info.

I reverted my car back to the stock map and OEM boost pill for now, I want to get some gauges installed in my Ralliart before I do any more performance modding and tuning. It's just too bad that this car is terrible for a decent gauge installation, so I will be removing the Kenwood double-din nav unit and installing a single din cd player and getting a single-din gauge panel designed for three 52mm gauges that will sit under it.

My question is this... what's a good, reliable wideband setup for the Ralliart or EvoX? I don't plan on going to a full turboback for a while, just the Borla catback for now. Where would I need to have a wideband bung installed?

Also, what gauges seem to be the most reliable and accurate? I've never had aftermarket gauges in my car before, so please forgive the noobness. Thanks guys!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Location for the wideband should go right in your downpipe right around the firewall of the car. On widebands there are a few alot of people use. Innovateive, Aem are usually the main ones, but I use the Zeitronics. I use the Zt3 because it has prob one of the best refresh rates and is very very accurate. It has a really good size buffer which will allow it to refresh extremely fast and that is what you would want when getting your car tuned. The faster you can get the info, the easier it is to collect data. I am sure others will have there favorites but I like that one best out of the 3.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got an Innovate LC-1, and an Innovate XD-16 gauge.

My LC-1 didn't work when it arrived. DOA. Innovate replaced it RMA without any trouble, but it was a hassle, nonetheless. If you get one of these, make sure you buy one from a proper dealer (or from Innovate themselves).

I have one of the LC-1 analogue outputs going straight to the OP2.0 "pin 8" for logging.

The gauge is great, too - it uses a digital serial link from the wbo2 controller. It also has configurable colours on the LEDs surrounding the digital reading - I've got soft blue for near-stoich, red for spool-up or part-throttle, and green for ideal WOT mixtures. With this gauge, you can be safe and awesome!

So all this Inno stuff works a treat now. Once it's in and working, the LC-1 seems to be fine - no glitches or issues now.

I mounted the gauge using a home-built arrangement, as I wanted it easily removable... without leaving any unsightly holes or sticky mess behind. I just took a cheap "gauge pod" kit and spliced it with a GPS-nav "universal vent mounting" kit.

Vent-mounting is obviously only worth considering if you rate function over form! The gauge is easily seen from the driver's position, and obscures nothing visually.

Some ideas for you, anyway...

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Dec 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I use zeitronix. I've been using them for years and years. Work great. They also have a slim (0.75" deep) gauge now that fits perfect on the dash of the RA/Evo 10.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ZR-1/ZR-1.shtml
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use an Innovate LC-1 w/b O2 sensor w/ EvoScan on a 7" Viliv UMPC attached to my windscreen

Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet get up right here ^
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
I use an Innovate LC-1 w/b O2 sensor w/ EvoScan on a 7" Viliv UMPC attached to my windscreen

Looks familiar.

Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I run an AEM personally, only because the Zeitronix and Innovative aren't easy to come by in Canada. I've heard great things about either brand. Those mini-pc setups above are awesome. I run my gauges using a Rexpeed pillar pod. The pod does the trick, but fitment leaves something to be desired. I had to modify the rexpeed pillar and the OEM pillar fairly extensively to get it to fit the way I wanted. I cut holes into the OEM pillar for the cables to pass through it, then sanded the whole pillar so that 3M mounting tape would stick. I then used the tape to fix the Rexpeed pillar to the OEM pillar. I also had to do some careful cutting along the base of the Rexpeed pillar so it would fit nicely. It looks pretty close to stock now, but before that it looked pretty terrible (so bad in fact that I could have made a pillar with cardboard and packing tape that would have looked better).
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Looks familiar.

It's where I got the idea to use that setup :P

I built out my own gauges layout because I wanted really large readouts/dials for AFR and Boost, and none of the included layouts were quite what i wanted.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

How reliable are the mini-PC's with EvoScan running as opposed to using physical gauges? I know several people take that route instead and honestly, if EvoScan is very accurate and reliable, I'll probably be looking to go that route as well for simplicity.

I appreciate all of the feedback folks!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Where can you find the Viliv S5? No one sells them and they would be perfect... damn.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

[/QUOTE]

how did you get that to run through a usb port
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BravoZero
How reliable are the mini-PC's with EvoScan running as opposed to using physical gauges? I know several people take that route instead and honestly, if EvoScan is very accurate and reliable, I'll probably be looking to go that route as well for simplicity.

I appreciate all of the feedback folks!
EvoScan is just displaying the values it reads so it is only as accurate as the sensors are. As for reliability, it depends on how reliable your PC setup is.

Originally Posted by bwanner
how did you get that to run through a usb port
Tactrix cable uses USB to connect to EvoScan.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Just bought a used but good condition Viliv S5, like the one Bryan has in his pics above. Can't wait to get it configured so I can put it in the car.

Quick question... how would I properly monitor AFR with a PC like this? would I need a separate gauge for the wideband?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

I got a 2port USB hub that let me hook up my LC-1 WB O2 sensor and the OpenPort 2.0 to the one USB port that's on the Viliv.

Quick Reply: Wideband info