Notices

AMS E-Tune Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS E-Tune Review

Hey everyone,

So I recently finished my e-tune with Mitch @ AMS Performance.

I started out with Cobb and that really went to hell. I'm not going to bash them but it just didn't work out...

Mitch @ AMS Performance is an AWESOME dude and really did a great job. He returned my emails immediately and always answered all of my questions/concerns. I can't say enough about how satisfied I am with the service I got from AMS and Mitch.

I ended up with roughly 293whp/330wtq @25-26psi (93 octane) (based on Virtual Dyno results with smoothing 3)

He also is helping me out by working on a 91 octane MPG friendly tune for the winter. It's pretty icy/snowy in Montreal so I can't ever really use to car to it's potential in the winter so I figured why not try and make a econo 91 octane tune to save some $$ over the winter.

Anyways, overall, I was really happy and I was able to upload all the tunes onto my Cobb AccessPort which really facilitated the reflashing.

Cheers and good luck with your tunes!!

Jason
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you very much for the positive review! Always nice to hear people are happy with your work.

If anyone has any questions on the process feel free to email me.

Mitch Mckee
AMS Performance
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Good to hear it went so well with AMS, potential clients should know about customer service. Jon is one of those guys who really knows his stuff, but has the tendency to keep his head (or nose) in the clouds. I had 'face-to-face' conversations with him twice (a'la HB) and choose not give him my money (this was in my Subie days). Best of luck to Cobb So-Cal.
Mitch on the other hand, heard nothing but good things about him
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Well, bottom line is you get what you pay for. I'm all down with the free e-tune Jon started but I mean, I hadn't gotten a revision after 7 weeks....free is great to a certain extent.

Jon's a busy guy and I got that. I blame Cobb because they told me the e-tune was being done through Cobb, I didn't know it was a sideline gig that Jon does. I kind of got bamboozled by Cobb, not Jon.

The AMS tune is pricey but I mean I wanted over 290whp/325wtq and that's what I got. Plus Mitch was nice enough to throw in a quick and dirty tune for 91 octane econo for the winter here.

That being said a Ralliart in Canada is over $35,000 (+taxes, so $40,000) all said and done so what's $400 to properly tune a pretty expensive machine?

Plus AMS are one of the only tuners that have the ability to tune for the AccessPort which I was happy about. I don't have to lug around my laptop to keep reflashing.

Thanks again Mitch!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet the tune makes it feel like a whole new car!

Not to bash but VD Graph please? I just want to know how you getting you numbers on a stock turbo >.>
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Does the Cobb Accessport better than getting dyno tune?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob
Well, bottom line is you get what you pay for. I'm all down with the free e-tune Jon started but I mean, I hadn't gotten a revision after 7 weeks....free is great to a certain extent.

Jon's a busy guy and I got that. I blame Cobb because they told me the e-tune was being done through Cobb, I didn't know it was a sideline gig that Jon does. I kind of got bamboozled by Cobb, not Jon.

The AMS tune is pricey but I mean I wanted over 290whp/325wtq and that's what I got. Plus Mitch was nice enough to throw in a quick and dirty tune for 91 octane econo for the winter here.

That being said a Ralliart in Canada is over $35,000 (+taxes, so $40,000) all said and done so what's $400 to properly tune a pretty expensive machine?

Plus AMS are one of the only tuners that have the ability to tune for the AccessPort which I was happy about. I don't have to lug around my laptop to keep reflashing.

Thanks again Mitch!

So VD has a correction factor of 1, Mustang VD has a correction factor of .95 and Dynoject VD had a correction factor of 1.09....

So you got ~ 275hp/308tq mustang or 316hp/354tq Dynojet on stock turbo? That seems really high for the mods you list...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Defcon5Es
Does the Cobb Accessport better than getting dyno tune?
the "can" tunes? no.

You can tune with a cobb on a dyno or on the street. Not sure I follow your question.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badreligi0n
I bet the tune makes it feel like a whole new car!

Not to bash but VD Graph please? I just want to know how you getting you numbers on a stock turbo >.>

I don't have my most recent VD graph here at work....but if you look on page four of all my VD posts, you can see the red vs blue.

Red was rev5 and blue was rev6. Also, smoothing was only on 1 for those (why the hp is high and graph looks screwy).

The last VD graph I have at home was 293whp/330wtq @26 PSI (94 octane) (I accidentally wrote 93 before...).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-result-4.html
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

The car feels like a rocket off the line...especially compared to stock.

I currently have an econo 91 octane tune on though.... winter booooooooo
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have my most recent VD graph here at work....but if you look on page four of all my VD posts, you can see the red vs blue.

Red was rev5 and blue was rev6. Also, smoothing was only on 1 for those (why the hp is high and graph looks screwy).

The last VD graph I have at home was 293whp/330wtq @26 PSI (94 octane) (I accidentally wrote 93 before...).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-result-4.html
Ah, that makes more sense. 94 Octane and its DynoJet numbers from VD... I was thinking 1.0 correction factor in VD which would be abnormally high for your mods.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I figure if you want to remove the VD error I'll say I'm probably realistically at 290whp/320wtq @ 25psi (94 octane)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I figure if you want to remove the VD error I'll say I'm probably realistically at 290whp/320wtq @ 25psi (94 octane)
You can change it to "mustang" numbers in the settings or to uncorrected.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well either way, I used the same settings always and know I have a big difference from my stock run. And it feels A LOT faster so I'm not really concerned with what the 'actual' numbers are.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

bah, your making me think twice about getting tuned. I was willing to drive 9hrs to AMS lol or 7hrs to Ivy but etuning might just be better...

Quick Reply: AMS E-Tune Review