Notices

Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread

hey everyone as you all know i have not had a very good year with my ralliart. it all started when i got tuned with my new Fp green on april 4th which i made 353hp and 287tq on the ams mustang dyno. i was happy it was a totally different car then my stock evo turbo which made 315hp and 310tq.

it all started with the day i got tuned at ams shortly after leaving ams i noticed my car was not creating boost anymore and i didnt know why so i turned around and headed back to ams. once i got there i let them take a look at the car for an hour which ended up in them finding nothing without being able to take more of the car apart so i told them to put back together what they had apart and they let me go for $75. once home i took the intake off and tried spinning the intake side of the turbo and it would not turn at all so i decided a better take off my megan tubular manifold. once i got the manifold off i noticed there was a piece of steel from my manifold holding my exhaust wheel from moving. this piece of steel was slightly larger than a pop tab and about an 1/8th inch thick. i was part of the divider in the collecter part of the manifold. so i called up megan and sent them pictures and then returned them the manifold so they could refund me my money. once all that was taken care of i ordered a MAP short runner manifold and it was here the next morning and i was ready to go

3 days after being tuned with the green i was out crusing and i popped my motor i was in 5th gear around 6k when i noticed oil blowing out of my hood. well my first thought was that i just got blowby just like most people do when they upgrade to a larger turbo. so i started the car back up after cleaning up all the oil and it threw a code so i checked it and it said cylinder mis-fire so i kinda figured somthing catastrophic happened. so i picked up my truck and trailered it home. when i got home i pulled the head to find that the piston closest to the timing side i assume is #1 had a hole in it . luckily enough my block did not have any new vents in it so i saved a decent amount of money there.

the head had some minor damage on it a couple burnt up valves but nothing to bad. when i took it to my machine shop he said it would be nothing to clean it up and it would be just fine.

so after i figured this out i decided i would rebuild it since i didnt know much about these cars at the time i talked to my local machine shop and he told me that he could just drop a sleeve in the block and i would be on my way. so i ordered Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, ACL bearings, and Arp headstuds. once i got the block back me and a friend stupidly re assembled the motor over the next few days.

once we had the motor back together we put it in the car and fired it up. the car ran great with no issues at all. so i setup my tune date and proceded to break in the new motor. well 250 miles later i noticed some ticking so i drained the oil and noticed a small pin with a hole in it fell out with the oil along with what looked like brass shavings so then i decided to pull the oil pan. once i pulled the pan to my surprise there was more of those little pins well after looking around for awhile i noticed that those pins were actually my oil squirters .
well it turns out that there was not enough clearance between the squirters and the bottom of the pistons. sorry i dont have pictures of all this i am not the picture kind of person.

well after finding all that out i pulled the motor back out and took it to my local machine shop and had him re build it for me with new calico heat coated bearings.
also while the motor was out i had him port and polish my head, install BC valve springs and i ordered a new insulated intake manifold gasket to try and keep temps down.
once he had the bottom end together me and friend put the rest together and installed it in the car. again the car fired up nice and everthing was going smooth

so i setup another tune date with devin at boostin performance and went to get my new tune. after visiting devin it was a 94 degree day i managed to put down 364hp and 294tq virtual dyno. so i continued to drive my car with this tune and when i went to the track i noticed it was very hard to lauch like the car would'nt get out of the hole nice so i talked to devin and he said he would fix my tune for me but everytime i tried hooking up with him for 3 months his schedule would never coincide with mine so we were unable to make anything happen.

sometime in sept i noticed my car starting to smoke so i thought maybe something was wrong with my motor so i did a compression and leak down test and it came back good. so after that i decided to pull the intake and check the turbo shaft play. well once the intake was off i took a screwdriver and checked the turbo and to my surprise the shaft was so loose that i could push the wheel till it hit the side of the housing. so not having the money to fix it right away i drove it that way out of boost so it didn't smoke for a couple of weeks then decided to pull it. once it was out i knew it was toast so i sent it back to fp and they had it rebuilt and back to me in 5 days it was a nice turnaround.

once back together i noticed that my afr was around 12.0 sometimes and other times it would run around 11.5 just like it was tuned. so after talking to a couple people they told me i should upgrade my fuel pump even though other people told me it would be fine for a green on pump gas. once i installed the new DW300 pump my afr instantly went down to 11.4-5 so i knew right away it was just the pump.

so after being frustrated with my car not being able to launch properly i decided to take my car to AMS to get retuned since i really liked my previous tune from them. so the day had finally came and i got my new tune. i put down 360hp @ 7800 rpm's and 295tq on their mustang dyno which was about 20hp higher than what i baselined at when i showed up that day. so i told chris my whole story about everything that had happened this summer and he said i should really keep an eye on my car cause something just didn't seem right. another thing he didn't like was the fact that i was running DW850's which he said he has not had good luck with at all, so then he sent me on my way with my new tune with my nice new 8300 rev limit.

that same day of being tuned i decided i would go to the track to set the new ralliart fastest quarter mile time. well unfortunately on my second run of the night after letting off at the end of the 1/4 i noticed smoke start pouring out of my exhaust so i pulled over and looked and did not notice any leaking or vented block so i parked the car and waited for friends to come and sorrow with me. while on their way down they picked up my time slip and to my surprise i ran an 11.8 at 119.7 so i was happy i set the record again but didn't exactely know what was up with my car so after getting the car home i decided to compression test it that night and the test came back at 30-135-135-135 so again something was wrong with the #1 cylinder so i knew it was time to pull the motor again.

once i pulled the motor i found out what i figured had happened and i burnt up the rings on the piston. now i dont know if this happened due to an injector failure but when my motor popped the first time it was right after installing the DW injectors. when the motor went the first time i had the injectors sent out and flow tested by
dw and they said they were fine but i find it funny that this has all happened since the new injectors. so now i have nice new fic 1100's to hopefully help this from not happening again.

ok so onto the good news the block got re sleeved with darton sleeves that i picked up from Holywoodx for a good deal thanks man

so once i got the sleeves i also ordered all new pistons cause the machine shop said they shrunk a littlle bit so that put me down another 550 well after a few weeks of waiting for bearings to come in the motor is all back together now. with the new build i happened to also pick up
MAP long runner
MAP downpipe with o2 dump
AMS Tmp cams
new injectors
and i also got my new AMS catback before the motor went

well that pretty much completes my build so i believe i have the only sleeved RA now i am just waiting for DODSON to get their transmission parts together and then i can build that someday but i will probably wait till my stock clutches start slipping this is a very strong transmission i currently have about 61k on it and it shifts just like brand new.

so i am getting retuned by ams on jan 23 and i think i am going to be on e85 now still not sure if thats the best thing to do or not. i think i should put down around 400awhp mustang dyno when i go back, just have to wait and see what Chris can do

i am hoping to run about an 11.5 with my RA this year and maybe be able to trap around 125mph but we shall see.

thanks for reading my build sorry for the typos.
Attached Thumbnails Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread-blown-motor.jpg   Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread-downpipe.jpg   Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread-long-runner.jpg   Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread-sleeved-block.jpg  

Last edited by hotshot1; Jan 8, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

oh damn, bad luck I guess haha.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Ouch, that's a bad run. Sounds like you have a bad injector on #1. From the stories I've heard about DW, I wouldn't be surprised. In for more...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Man that has been bad news all over, gotta love the time. But it doesn't sound like you've gotten much more than that. Story had me hooked though. Hope to hear some good news soon! Good luck!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Are you running an upgraded transmission cooler?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adog
Are you running an upgraded transmission cooler?
Well I put a spal fan on the stock cooler and i also hooked up another small cooler in the front grill
Old Jan 9, 2012, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Wow.. Thats pretty intense. I really hope everything works out. I'm afraid to ask how much money you have invested into your RA..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2muchboost
Wow.. Thats pretty intense. I really hope everything works out. I'm afraid to ask how much money you have invested into your RA..
Honestly I don't even know anymore. All I know is I am to far to turn around lol
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Because
Race
Car

wow. What a tale.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

hopefully someday it will be possible to be a 10second car.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotshot1
hopefully someday it will be possible to be a 10second car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPllY0uYuIM
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
Not that kind of 10second car lol
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

omg... i think i remember seeing that on "That's Incredible" when I was a kid.....
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Finally getting tuned tomorrow. Its been a long month wait just cruising around not being able to go wot at all
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotshot1
Finally getting tuned tomorrow. Its been a long month wait just cruising around not being able to go wot at all
Im sure you are going to have lots of fun on the way home tomorrow! Good luck with everything! Cant wait to see how she does

Quick Reply: Hotshot1 2.0 RA build thread