Notices

Ruminations on SST Driving Habits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right or wrong, I don't know if ANYBODY can say for sure. If it's true though, this thread should win an award for the most counter-intuitive thing that anyone has ever posted on EvoM!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
These are the big ones. The cars I've seen that were slipping on a stock tune (i.e. OEM all the way to paper filter) were all reported by their owners as being driven the same: Auto/Normal full time as DD (20-30 min commute back and forth to work). They did not ever take their car out for a canyon drive, or to the track, etc. They all had the same general mentality of intentionally driving "gently" for fear of breaking their tranny.

thats me
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

i'm sorry, but you don't get a 12.44s quarter mile time by driving your car "gently" to preserve your tranny...

just sayin' is all
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

^
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
i'm sorry, but you don't get a 12.44s quarter mile time by driving your car "gently" to preserve your tranny...

just sayin' is all
Is like 5 passes in the lancer in the 1/4 mile to do the 12.44, my other car have more than 500+ passes in the 1/4 so do the math.
btw I live 2 minutes from the track so its normal to see what the lancer could do.
My car is not a garage queen or a dyno queen its a dd car and I dont have dyno number to sit behind a computer to say what my car could do, I say what my car does.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

So driving in manual mode (+ and -) is better than auto?

I always drive in manual mode because the auto/normal mode doesnt sound good and feel good. Good example above is 1st gear in Auto mode the car will be on the gear for a while. I usually am in 2nd gear like a car should be when rolling. The rule of thumb I have always gone with is 1st gear is for launching/ getting the car rolling, nothing else.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pbassist12
I always drive in manual mode because the auto/normal mode doesnt sound good and feel good.
Ditto. It's perfectly good for the other half to hop into and drive to the shops, though.

Rich
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Here's an interesting post on "ClubCJ" today...

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=233870#233870

I'll quote:

"Once i go there how ever my friend at the dealership said the gearbox is gone, infact it was so gone they contacted head office with the issue and they have decided to do a FULL GEARBOX replacement. He said that because its an internal fault with the gb they cant open it and fix it, they will be ordering a new gearbox with clutches and fluids. He went on to advise me that Ralliarts tend to have issues with these gearboxes because they are directly made for the evos and because the gear ratios between the two cars are so different these gearboxes cant stand the 'take it easy' approach to being driven and they need to be driven with a degree of agression and possibly in manual mode not automatic."

I think sstevojr just earned 20 Smug Points, to spend as he wishes.

Rich
Old Feb 4, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

I drive my car like I stole it every day. It has only seen Auto/Normal on the interstate for trips over 2 hours. Otherwise its Manual/Sport. I'm coming up on 30k miles and it still feels amazing. I completely agree, baby the TCSST and its gonna give you issues cause its slipping its little heart out trying to baby you back. Treat it like the awesome ***** it is and it will bite down, grip hard, and jerk you around just like a good ***** should.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Here's an interesting post on "ClubCJ" today...

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=233870#233870

I'll quote:

"Once i go there how ever my friend at the dealership said the gearbox is gone, infact it was so gone they contacted head office with the issue and they have decided to do a FULL GEARBOX replacement. He said that because its an internal fault with the gb they cant open it and fix it, they will be ordering a new gearbox with clutches and fluids. He went on to advise me that Ralliarts tend to have issues with these gearboxes because they are directly made for the evos and because the gear ratios between the two cars are so different these gearboxes cant stand the 'take it easy' approach to being driven and they need to be driven with a degree of agression and possibly in manual mode not automatic."

I think sstevojr just earned 20 Smug Points, to spend as he wishes.

Rich
I'm not sure if this dealer is correct about the gear ratios. I've looked around and I can't find any radical difference between the gear ratios of the MR and RA SST.

According to Wiki, the MR SST gear ratios are:

1st: 3.655:1
2nd: 2.368:1
3rd: 1.754:1
4th: 1.322:1
5th: 1:1
6th: 0.775:1
Final: 4.062:1

According to Edmunds the RA SST gear ratios are:

1st: 3.655:1
2nd: 2.368:1
3rd: 1.754:1
4th: 1.322:1
5th: 0.983:1
6th: 0.731:1
Final: 4.062:1

As you can see, the "around town" gears are the same so there wouldn't be much difference there. My opinion is that the SST cooler, which was designed for use in the MR, is actually hurting the Ralliart by keeping the tranny too cool since the stock RA doesn't put out the same amount of power and is driven differently than an MR.

Now, I just need to find someone with a stock RA, remove their cooler, and monitor their trans temps. Any volunteers?

Last edited by jkennedy293; Feb 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
My opinion is that the SST cooler, which was designed for use in the MR, is actually hurting the Ralliart by keeping the tranny too cool since the stock RA doesn't put out the same amount of power and is driven differently than an MR.

Now, I just need to find someone with a stock RA, remove their cooler, and monitor their trans temps. Any volunteers?
Nope!

But I've watched cooler face temp (via sensor) versus trans temp, and it's not over-cooling the system. The cooler face temp itself will drop a lot when moving, but as soon as I stop, the measured temp rockets up to 70C... ie. the flowing fluid itself is 70C throughout, and as soon as air stops flowing past the cooler, the circulating fluid raises the cooler temp.

Logged SST temp just seems to inch up and up and up, the longer you drive it. Driving it along the freeway will still see SST temp rising... to a point... and that point is around what I (and other people) guess is a reasonable operating temp.

Granted, though, there doesn't seem to be any SST fluid thermostat bypass built in. Could such a thing improve warm-up time when cold? Sure it could! Would be nice - especially for cold climates.

One owner I'm corresponding with right now is trying to understand why their SST slips so badly between 1st and 2nd for WOT sport upshifts (on v27 base map). But the most recent test was with ambient temp of 24F, after only 15 minutes driving. The trans would be MUCH better at handling such things if it had a quick warm-up fluid bypass!

Rich
Old Feb 4, 2012, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Nope!

But I've watched cooler face temp (via sensor) versus trans temp, and it's not over-cooling the system. The cooler face temp itself will drop a lot when moving, but as soon as I stop, the measured temp rockets up to 70C... ie. the flowing fluid itself is 70C throughout, and as soon as air stops flowing past the cooler, the circulating fluid raises the cooler temp.

Logged SST temp just seems to inch up and up and up, the longer you drive it. Driving it along the freeway will still see SST temp rising... to a point... and that point is around what I (and other people) guess is a reasonable operating temp.

Granted, though, there doesn't seem to be any SST fluid thermostat bypass built in. Could such a thing improve warm-up time when cold? Sure it could! Would be nice - especially for cold climates.

One owner I'm corresponding with right now is trying to understand why their SST slips so badly between 1st and 2nd for WOT sport upshifts (on v27 base map). But the most recent test was with ambient temp of 24F, after only 15 minutes driving. The trans would be MUCH better at handling such things if it had a quick warm-up fluid bypass!

Rich
Well thank you Rich for blowing my nice little theory all to hell.

I think I'm going to see what information I can get out of Getrag. Maybe their engineers can shed a bit of light on the subject.

Wish me luck!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Not gonna say it, wouldn't be prudent (in my best Bush Senior voice)....
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

I am at 32K miles.... I use my car as a dd, and I have to sit in traffic everyday to work. Sometimes stop & go, sometimes it moves, and sometimes I take a road with stop signs and lights.
My car has never seen a track, but I do like to drive aggressively whenever I can. I don't put put from a stop light, that's what the gas pedal is for. I drive 90% of the time on Auto/Normal mode. I haven't had any noticeable problems yet.

If I drive in Sport mode in stop and go traffic (0-10 mph, guessing?), then I would be in constant 1st gear and that sucks.

Are you saying that I shouldn't be driving in Normal mode? Sport mode is a little too sporty for everyday stop & go. If it's better to drive in Sport mode, then why did Mitsu have Normal as an option?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^agree

Quick Reply: Ruminations on SST Driving Habits