Magnaflow Cat-Back Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it steps down to stock cat size
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:25 PM

Is anyone running the Magnaflow Catback with a tune and if yes...what returns have they seen. Is it an ECUflash or Cobb tune.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vaalie30
Is anyone running the Magnaflow Catback with a tune and if yes...what returns have they seen. Is it an ECUflash or Cobb tune.

Thanks
I was running my Magnaflow cat back with a Cobb stage 2 tune first, then I went with a custom tune. Mind you I have full turbo back with long downpipe.

So on a stock tune with exhaust I was doing 218 awhp. With a tune 250 awhp. Here in Calgary we are at 3500 feet above sea level. So that makes it even harder to tune turbo charged cars. Also, that dyno was showing 10 % less than it actually was. Just because of that particular dyno.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

yes... I'm running a personally modified GST Basemap Boostpill tune on my car:

Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
it steps down to stock cat size
I had that part cut out and made to be 3" the whole way.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:29 AM

Yes good idea. Are aftermarket HFCs and test pipes 3" at both ends or do they step down to the down pipes as well?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
my GSR 2011 put down 315 WHP at 25 PSI after the tune.

Magnaflow CBE, UR mini muffler test pipe and Works drop in. Cobb AP tuned.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcknight
Yes good idea. Are aftermarket HFCs and test pipes 3" at both ends or do they step down to the down pipes as well?
I have Ultimate Racing long downpipe and HFC, they remain 3" even at the flanges. Only the Magnaflow had a smaller bottle-neck where it connected to the cat. I cut that out and replaced it with a 3" piece/flange.

I'm currently putting down 291whp/310wtq with full bolt-ons and a Works high flow panel filter (no intake).

Soon, Rad Lite. I'll post those results with above bolt-ons.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:31 PM

I bought an magnaflow exhaust for my ra and I have to say I would just stand there and listen to it for minutes on end. For the money you can not go wrong.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

I recently bough the Magnaflow to replace my DC Sports exhaust.

Very impressed & thanks to a member here sharing coupon codes from a vw forum I saved $146.xx.

Total cost after shipping and taxes was $505 and being in Canada that was hundreds less then anywhere else.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by p1llar
I recently bough the Magnaflow to replace my DC Sports exhaust.

Very impressed & thanks to a member here sharing coupon codes from a vw forum I saved $146.xx.

Total cost after shipping and taxes was $505 and being in Canada that was hundreds less then anywhere else.
How does the 2 cat backs compare sound-wise? Which one was louder? Which one had more droning inside the car?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xDarKnighTx
How does the 2 cat backs compare sound-wise? Which one was louder? Which one had more droning inside the car?

I would say the DC Sports was a little more 'throatier' but still tame compared to UR & Borla. The DC Sports had zero drone, driven on a few 2-7 hour rides and it doesn't drone like many aftermarket exhaust. I would not advise anyone to purchase this exhaust based on the fitment issues alone and the complete lack of customer service, thoroughly dissapointed and I will never buy another DC prododuct again.

The Magnaflow looks much more stock as it has oval tips, which I like but it's up to personal preference. At idle it's as loud as the DC sports, maybe a touch quiter. Daily driving it's pretty damn quiet as the DC Sports one was, but when you stomp on it, it wakes up. I have not noticed any drone but I've only had it on for a week.

FYI- I've got a 3: resonated test pipe which has been on for both systems. Also note that I was happy with the look & sound of the DC Sports and wouldn't of switched if it wasn't for the poorly made midpipe which made the resonator make conact with the driveshaft.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob
I just installed my Magnaflow cat-back which I was able to pick up for $517 brand new (incl. shipping and taxes).

This is a GREAT exhaust. It's got a perfect daily driver subtleness to it. It's obviously louder and has the typical cat-back sound to it but it's not TOO loud in regular driving.

The great thing is, when you open it up, it comes alive and sounds amazing.

So to anyone looking for somthing that probably won't get you stopped by the cops (depending on how you're driving ), look into the Magnaflow.

Edit... never mind, saw you are running UR highflow cat.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:43 AM

On my exhaust, I am running a depo hfc. For the price they are hard to beat. Really happy with it.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xDarKnighTx
I have the Magnaflow (with stock cat) and completed a cross country (California to Florida and back to California) road trip with it this past June. It did not drone at all the entire trip.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat-Back Review