Notices

Magnaflow Cat-Back Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the magnaflow cat back first, two months later added the turboxs hfc, a few months later added the turboxs down pipe, love the way it sounds!!

My only gripe was the neck down size where the magnaflow mates to the cat, I c ut off both flanges there and added a straight piece of 3" pipe, hated to see 3" mate up to a squished down 2.25" flange!!

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:34 AM

Hi everyone, I got this a few months ago and its been pretty great. Definitely the best deal I've seen in Canada.
Here it is on my car:

It's the first aftermarket exhaust I've had on anything so I can't say too much, but I like it quite a bit
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone had issues with the axleback hitting the diff creating noise at idle??
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 PM

Arrow

Delete... double post...

Last edited by cjsabaki; Jan 10, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 PM

loosen up the slip fit clamps n flange bolts and u should be able to shift it away from the differential, hold it away n tighten em back up!!

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Just had one of these installed. The downside is that it makes the cabin way louder than the stock exhaust at any RPM. Also the crappy plastic panel behind the back seats is rattling like crazy now, so I need to work on that next... On the other hand, the car has become even more alive with the basic tune I'm using at the moment and normal mode is starting to feel almost like sport. The exhaust looks awesome too because of the tips it comes with - big improvement over stock and I like it more than other aftermarket exhausts for the Ralliart.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:37 PM

I ran my car with just the magnaflow catback for a while and it droned. After installing an AMS HFC, it droned even more. I was contemplating on going back to the stock catback (or maybe with the RRE mod), but decided to do the turbo swap.

So a week ago I just finished my Evo X turbo swap with an AMS widemouth downpipe. All of a sudden, the cabin droning has been cut down by A LOT!

Gotta say, this exhaust is pretty awesome.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

gotta agree with you there. I did a turbo swap on my car w/ an MXP long down pipe, RRE 3" hi-flow cat, and the Magnaflow cat back, and it's more civilized (in car) than it was with just the cat-back. Still sounds sweet outside too :P
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking the reduction in the drone might have more to do with the replacement downpipes than anything else...
Next spring I'll get a UR downpipe and cat, so I'll find out. But before that I'm going to install an Evo X IC with UR UICP and LICP.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:02 AM

For the price, I think the Magnaflow cat-back is great! I like the dual tips and it sounds awesome, too!!

The only things I didn't like about it was the band-clamps that Magnaflow supplied didn't clamp good. So, I had to get new clamps from Summit Racing. This happened on 2 different Magnaflow systems I had.

Plus, as another poster said, the exhaust pipe narrows down to 2.5" at the cat-flange, which creates a restriction for those who run a 3" dp & mp.

Fortunately, I had another 3" system laying around, so I cut the pipe & flange off of that, along with cutting the Magnaflow pipe & flange off, and I used a 3" band-clamp to hold the 2 together. I eventually welded 2 together, but the band-clamp worked and probably would've been just fine had I left it on.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlDim
I'm thinking the reduction in the drone might have more to do with the replacement downpipes than anything else...
Next spring I'll get a UR downpipe and cat, so I'll find out. But before that I'm going to install an Evo X IC with UR UICP and LICP.
maybe. One thing I noticed is the exhaust tips are pushed toward the rear of the car by about an inch (more than before i did the turbo swap). Previously they were borderline recessed. Of course, my car is also a Sportback. So positioning of the tips may be different on the sedans.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Now that the new exhaust has settled in a little bit, it sounds terrific. Not too loud at all inside the car while just cruising, though it lets you know it's there a little bit and it's wonderful when you step on it. I highly doubt it could get anyone in trouble with the cops unless they are trying really hard.
However, with the stock resonator gone, there is some nasty drone about 2000rpm, especially when engine is warming up.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by AlDim
Now that the new exhaust has settled in a little bit, it sounds terrific. Not too loud at all inside the car while just cruising, though it lets you know it's there a little bit and it's wonderful when you step on it. I highly doubt it could get anyone in trouble with the cops unless they are trying really hard.
However, with the stock resonator gone, there is some nasty drone about 2000rpm, especially when engine is warming up.
I got pulled over for my exhaust within the first few months. That was when i almost switched back to stock. Glad I didn't.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 07:12 PM

Well i picked up a turbo xs dp, ultimate racing test pipe, and magnaflow catback for $300. they were all new in box, so for that price love it. wish it was louder though, i'm gonna get a custom straight pipe axle back done sometime this week, so i will be completely straight through, ****s gonna be LOUD.

I only use my car to have fun driving on mountain roads( i live like 20 min form The Dragon 129), and get gas lol, so i like to hear my car, instead of the radio.

Also i noticed its way more tame with the aftermarket downpipe installed...

Last edited by Evo Sportback; Nov 4, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:04 PM

iam really thinking of getting the magnaflow exhaust is it moderately loud?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat-Back Review