Notices

Intercooler Q

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Q

Hey guys, I've read a couple of times that an intercooler any larger than the stock evo x one will bog down the stock RA turbo? Is this true? If so can someone explain to be logically why?

I am just trying to figure how I should go forward upgrading the intercooler (evo x vs aftermarket) to yield the best response and power from the stock turbo with full bolt ons.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

where the f- do people "read" this bogus...

no, it won't bog the tiny RA turbo

even oem X intercooler heatsoaks easily, but the prices you can get them for used still makes it good value to consider

/endthread
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
'Bogs down' indicates too much flow resistance. No, the EVO X FMIC is designed to flow a bigger turbo than ours (volume).

Heat soak? A EVO X FMIC is dramatically better at shedding heat over a stock unit.

What are your build plans? Stock turbo? Then a used EVO X FMIC is excellent.

Bigger turbo than an X? Then a bigger (aftermarket) FMIC is what you want (start cruising the EVO X forum for ideas and to refine your plan)....
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The correct term is for what you're describing is pressure drop. The difference from the Ralliart to the Evo X FMIC is most likely negligible. AMS's intercooler upgrade for the RA only has 1psi of pressure drop. You honestly shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You can find some lengthy write-ups about pressure drop around the web.
http://www.google.com/search?&ie=UTF...+pressure+drop
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

The evo x IC will heatsoak. Stand in line at a dragstrip and you will be heatsoaking
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

ok thanks guys, this generally confirms what I thought... I am probably going to go with AMS or UR unless you guys have a good reason not to
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

The big reason people go with the EVO X IC is the cost benefit. It cost $100 with the evo x intercooler piping. It keeps the stock look/feel and gives you gains from the cooler air.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't it also move full boost to the right a couple of hundred rpms? More volume should take longer to build pressure. Just using logic, not sure
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

no
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking about upgrading as well. Why do some people choose the AMS or UR options, as opposed to the X intercooler/piping? The difference in cost is craziness.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

^Some people like brand new stuff. Some are planning to go to a larger turbo. Some just don't know their options.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
^Some people like brand new stuff. Some are planning to go to a larger turbo. Some just don't know their options.

Fair enough and I just might be one of those guys. I'm looking at the Cobb piping and that is like 600 on its own. I like new stuff sigh.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by petro
I'm thinking about upgrading as well. Why do some people choose the AMS or UR options, as opposed to the X intercooler/piping? The difference in cost is craziness.
Because the point of upgrading the piping is to eliminate the flex from the rubber UICP. The EvoX's UICP is rubber. The EvoX UICP is great if you want to keep an under the hood appearance that looks stock to everyone except other RA owners. However, the pipes are still rubber and susceptible to expansion under pressure.

That is why ~I~ (and many others) went with a UR UICP. Of course, there are those out there that get them strictly for looks.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
Because the point of upgrading the piping is to eliminate the flex from the rubber UICP. The EvoX's UICP is rubber. The EvoX UICP is great if you want to keep an under the hood appearance that looks stock to everyone except other RA owners. However, the pipes are still rubber and susceptible to expansion under pressure.

That is why ~I~ (and many others) went with a UR UICP. Of course, there are those out there that get them strictly for looks.

Yup makes sense. I guess part of me is just being a baby because I don't want to spend $1,000+ for an intercooler and piping...nevermind the tune. I will just have to suck it up.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by crankIT
ok thanks guys, this generally confirms what I thought... I am probably going to go with AMS or UR unless you guys have a good reason not to
Check out our pricing and products at

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com

we offer a high quality intercooler at an affordable price.

Thanks,

Michael

Quick Reply: Intercooler Q