Notices

New Works Catback

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
The center-pipe is the Evolution X version.

So they got a X center pipe, UR everything else so they could waste time to grind the center pipe to sell me a UR set up for 200 bucks less? That kinda makes umm...no sense. Since they weren't charging me labor by the hour, it makes even less sense. Seriously...not seeing how hard it is to think they looked at the UR designed, liked it and made their own. Now you could make a point for IP...but seriously, unless the mufflers are exactly the same inside, it'll be a hard sell. And at worst, if you are correct, they are selling a UR catback for the same price...only closer for some people with a possible cheaper shipping option. Oh no, how terrible.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdNapalm
So they got a X center pipe, UR everything else so they could waste time to grind the center pipe to sell me a UR set up for 200 bucks less? That kinda makes umm...no sense. Since they weren't charging me labor by the hour, it makes even less sense. Seriously...not seeing how hard it is to think they looked at the UR designed, liked it and made their own. Now you could make a point for IP...but seriously, unless the mufflers are exactly the same inside, it'll be a hard sell. And at worst, if you are correct, they are selling a UR catback for the same price...only closer for some people with a possible cheaper shipping option. Oh no, how terrible.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it is a UR catback. It is a UR catback. That is what it is.

Your same logic applies to buying all the same parts and assembling it exactly the same as a UR catback. You are right it doesn't make any sense.

So what does that leave us with? It's a UR catback.

You are happy with it, you didn't pay more than if you purchased it direct from UR, and it's a UR catback. The internet is good again.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it is a UR catback. It is a UR catback. That is what it is.

Your same logic applies to buying all the same parts and assembling it exactly the same as a UR catback. You are right it doesn't make any sense.

So what does that leave us with? It's a UR catback.

You are happy with it, you didn't pay more than if you purchased it direct from UR, and it's a UR catback. The internet is good again.

It's only a UR catback if the muffler is the same. Lets see, straight mid pipe for smooth flow and cheap production that many other companies use...check. Split dual muffler at axleback looking a lot like the UR one because...umm I don't know, they need the same mount points maybe? A simple large exhaust tip for low cost...yeah, that all sounds like a design/cost thing that is so basic that you really can't even get IP protection on it to me. The only thing is the muffler design on the inside. They are the same, then yes, they are the same exahust...if not...then no...not really.

As for me being happy with it...other then it's really loud like the UR one...yes I am happy with it...especially as I gained a fat chunk of wheel torque from it (~10 WHP, ~20 WTQ gained). I really need try and figure out how to resize my dyno scan...stupid scanner wants to scan the bugger at 1600DPI.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Lets see, straight mid pipe for smooth flow and cheap production that many other companies use...check.
Are you the one who purchased this exhaust? If so, go ahead and check your flanges in a couple of weeks and take pictures. They should not have wasted their time polishing this thing. If it is indeed a UR CBE (which will be evident due to rusting flanges), they should have ceramic coated this thing. I am having my UR midpipe coated, as we speak. The rust on the flanges is unreal.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
Are you the one who purchased this exhaust? If so, go ahead and check your flanges in a couple of weeks and take pictures. They should not have wasted their time polishing this thing. If it is indeed a UR CBE (which will be evident due to rusting flanges), they should have ceramic coated this thing. I am having my UR midpipe coated, as we speak. The rust on the flanges is unreal.

Yes it's on my car.

Okay, well that is good to know...okay will check and take a pic in a few weeks. Flanges connecting to cat or the axle back or both?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
It's only a UR catback if the muffler is the same. Lets see, straight mid pipe for smooth flow and cheap production that many other companies use...check. Split dual muffler at axleback looking a lot like the UR one because...umm I don't know, they need the same mount points maybe? A simple large exhaust tip for low cost...yeah, that all sounds like a design/cost thing that is so basic that you really can't even get IP protection on it to me. The only thing is the muffler design on the inside. They are the same, then yes, they are the same exahust...if not...then no...not really.

As for me being happy with it...other then it's really loud like the UR one...yes I am happy with it...especially as I gained a fat chunk of wheel torque from it (~10 WHP, ~20 WTQ gained). I really need try and figure out how to resize my dyno scan...stupid scanner wants to scan the bugger at 1600DPI.
Those mufflers are just Vibrant mini mufflers, just like UR. Same thing I have in my Mini Muffler UR test pipe, which is also the same thing AMS sells (rebranded UR)

Only a couple companies make actual mufflers. Alot of companies use Vibrant mufflers in their catbacks, Cobb, AMS, etc.

I'm not arguing with you, nor am I saying you got ripped off or got taken for a ride, I'm just relaying information for everybody.

Again, that is a UR catback or a direct 100% rip off of it, using the same exact parts and design.

Let me repeat what I basically said above. It's no big deal, since you are happy with it, and you didn't pay more than if you got it direct from UR.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 5, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All my UR stuff is rusty too
Old Jun 6, 2012, 05:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes it's on my car.

Okay, well that is good to know...okay will check and take a pic in a few weeks. Flanges connecting to cat or the axle back or both?
All of them. The UR catback uses stainless 409 piping and regular steel flanges. Mine had to be media blasted like crazy before the ceramic coating could be done, or so I am told.

If you have the UR CBE, consider getting it high-temp coated. It will look better, and it won't have to be replaced as soon, if ever.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob
All my UR stuff is rusty too
My UR test pipe doesnt look rusty at all and I drove it through this past winter.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

My DP is good, it's the cat like NFS said. I'm probably going to be switching to a test pipe anyways.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jasoob
My DP is good, it's the cat like NFS said. I'm probably going to be switching to a test pipe anyways.
Some flanges and misc. parts were made from mid-grade steel and not SS. Maybe mine was made from a bad batch or something. Either way, some UR parts do have a tendency to rust.

(Whenever I see UR, I always think of Underground Racing.)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Grr...got crazy busy with life.

No pictures, but when my car was on the lift last week, I checked and my flanges and pipes are all perfectly intact other then some heat bluing and road grime. No rust. So hey I guess it's a good option for people who want a UR cat-back and not deal with rusty bits.