Notices

What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to expect?

So I am trying to see what kind of numbers people are puting down on stock turbo using a custom tune. Right now I have HKS hiflow filter, depo uicp, HFC, evo x fmic,licp,bpv, and Im running GST boostpill basemap. So what I am thinking for my next step is to get 3port, DIY intake and a custom tune. I know alot of people will recommend just saving up for turbo swap but that will come alot further down the road. So anyone running a similiar setup using custom tune? Is a custom tune worth it as compared to GST basemap?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Before I did my X swap my setup was UR UICP, UR LICP, X IC, X BPV, DIY SRI, GS 3 Port, UR Test Pipe and AMS single exit exhaust. My numbers were 267 awhp 330 awtq virtual dyno Dynojet. I was tuned my Devin at Boosting Performance.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on the dyno, somewhere between 240 and 300 (yes, it's that vague intentionally)
Honestly, for your set-up don't worry about the 3-port, and don't worry about a custom tune. For the cost you will be disappointed, because the GST map has already accounted for most of the gain. If you were to change out the CBE and Intake to 3" both, and get a custom tune, you might get another 20-30whp (for $1000-1500)
But if you plan on getting the X-turbo, you will need the intake and exhaust to let it breath any how.

Last edited by sstevojr; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:16 AM

Thats the type of info I was lookung for. Not looking to go evo x turbo though, looking torwards RAD turbo, seems to suite better for what i want. I just thought a custom tune would pull a bit more out of it. One of my issues is I really dont want to go CBE due to the noise, but understand it will make more power.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 210ralli
Thats the type of info I was lookung for. Not looking to go evo x turbo though, looking torwards RAD turbo, seems to suite better for what i want. I just thought a custom tune would pull a bit more out of it. One of my issues is I really dont want to go CBE due to the noise, but understand it will make more power.
Major gain you will see from the exhaust is changing out the stock cat. Razorlab was making really good power with the stock cbe on. You will gain some power with an aftermarket one though.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:03 AM

Yeah I remember reading that on the forums, so I did get the HFC and left stock CBE. So I am looking for a way to get more power out of the stock turbo, that are worthndoing of couse. Thats why I was thinking custom tune, but donr know anymore.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

The biggest difference the custom tune will gain over the GST map is low end torque. Above 4k rpm there will be hardly any difference. Also many tuners use their own base maps to build from (rather than adding to existing tunes), so you will lose all the brilliant SST tweaks.
One upon a time I did the 3-port re-tune on the RA turbo, not much more there. The 3-port is really for something pushing more psi.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

I'm currently running Cobb Stage 2 93 (Cobb & UR 3" TBE, K&N DI)

I'm scheduled for a tune in a few weeks and will be adding UR FMIC, upper & lower piping, AMS BOV, and Cobb 3 port solenoid prior to the tune.

I realize that the mods being added are about preventing a loss of power rather than the creation of it. That said, do you think I will "feel" much of a difference following these surgeries and the tune? I'm pretty excited aha.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 210ralli
Yeah I remember reading that on the forums, so I did get the HFC and left stock CBE. So I am looking for a way to get more power out of the stock turbo, that are worthndoing of couse. Thats why I was thinking custom tune, but donr know anymore.
Your kind of limited on the stock turbo as far as power gains. Adding other bolt ons are going to yeild small gains if any at all. Im not sure if E85 is an option for you but that might net some decent gains for you.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:30 PM

I thought about going to route of E85 but stil wondering if its worth going on stock turbo. I dont think i have seem anyone post numbers being on E85 with stock turbo with bolt ons. I would like to see how much is capable with that setup, but I am starting to thnk just to wait and try and the RAD!!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by petro
I'm currently running Cobb Stage 2 93 (Cobb & UR 3" TBE, K&N DI)

I'm scheduled for a tune in a few weeks and will be adding UR FMIC, upper & lower piping, AMS BOV, and Cobb 3 port solenoid prior to the tune.

I realize that the mods being added are about preventing a loss of power rather than the creation of it. That said, do you think I will "feel" much of a difference following these surgeries and the tune? I'm pretty excited aha.
For you, yes.
The Cobb's OTS tunes tend to leave quite a bit on the table, plus the larger IC will improve efficiency greatly (allowing for another couple degrees of timing). Again, low end torque will be the largest improvement (the 'throw you in the seat' feeling we love so much) with respectable gains into the higher rpm band.

Last edited by sstevojr; Jun 13, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
For you, yes.
The Cobb's OTS tunes tend to leave quite a bit on the table, plus the larger IC will improve efficiency greatly (allowing for another couple degrees of timing). Again, low end torque will be the largest improvement (the 'throw you in the seat' feeling we love so much) with respectable gains into the higher rpm band.

Thanks a lot. That makes me even more excited.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:41 PM

Cant wait