Notices

SST issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My 2009 SST is still feeling super-sharp and strong as an ox. A joy to drive.

My '09 has nearly 50,000km on the clock. I must have done close to 450 ECU reflashes - many to test crazy SST stuff. 9 or 10 track-side escapades.

SST fluid gets changed every 20,000km or so. I've fitted a fan, and have removed the foglamps.

The Sphynx says: If you look after your SST, your SST will look after you.

Rich
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
My 2009 SST is still feeling super-sharp and strong as an ox. A joy to drive.

My '09 has nearly 50,000km on the clock. I must have done close to 450 ECU reflashes - many to test crazy SST stuff. 9 or 10 track-side escapades.

SST fluid gets changed every 20,000km or so. I've fitted a fan, and have removed the foglamps.

Rich

Ya, although my sst only has 9,000 km on it, the same fluid has been in it for 3+ years. I think I will change it at around 15,000 km. More likely to get love when you give love.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
This can now be fixed, replacement seals are now available from Jack's Transmission, SSP and Dodson. The difficult part is finding a local shop who is qualified for this type of work (think "mending a broken bone" vs "performing brain surgery" for caliber of work needed).
Actually, I'm not talking about the DCT upgrade seals for the clutch baskets...we're talking about two different things.

There are INTERNAL seals on the gear side that no replacement exists yet. They are between the gear side and clutch side. It is known to be leaky and slowly fail. To compensate, the SST starts increasing pressure for the leak. Eventually, it gets so bad the revs start bouncing around in small increments.

You'll never notice at WOT or daily driving. But at cruise, if you get bouncing, the end is soon to come.

Not a lot of people know this but once the SST is bouncing revs around at about 100 rpm increments, the SST is on it's way out and there's not fixing it.

Getrag and Mitsubishi should be sued for this. It shouldn't be legal to create something with no replacement when it's clearly a replaceable part (just a seal...). And it's accessible to boot.

Good luck with your car OP. Get that warranty work going ASAP!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'd suggest that Perry has the SST fluid flushed if it's never been done before.

On more than one occasion, we've had people come on these forums with odd SST issues or claiming their "SST is about to die" when all they needed was a fluid change to make it like new again.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 06:19 PM

SST issue

Well heard from the dealership this morning and the advice from the mitsubishi tech guys is to replace the fluid and see if that solves things problem is it's $513.00 to replace fluid and it's not covered on warranty F#@*. If that doesn't solve the issue then they will probably replace the transmission. I understand the fluid isn't a mechanical part that hasn't worn out or broken so i know why it's not covered but dam $513.00 is not cheap. I'll let you know how it progresses.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by finallyanevo
Well heard from the dealership this morning and the advice from the mitsubishi tech guys is to replace the fluid and see if that solves things problem is it's $513.00 to replace fluid and it's not covered on warranty F#@*. If that doesn't solve the issue then they will probably replace the transmission. I understand the fluid isn't a mechanical part that hasn't worn out or broken so i know why it's not covered but dam $513.00 is not cheap. I'll let you know how it progresses.
You should be able to discuss directly with Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) Representative. That person is the one who authorises warranty claim work.

Discuss with the Rep, with a view to agreeing that if the fluid change does NOT solve the issue, then you will NOT be charged for that fluid or work. Otherwise, MMAL will have spent your money in an unsuccessful attempt to fix what turned out to be a transmission fault.

If the fluid change DOES fix the issue, then you should send them a bunch of flowers. The cost is just part and parcel of owning an SST vehicle.

If they have any professional integrity, they should certainly not charge you for an unsuccessful (expensive) procedure. They are obviously trying that in preference to replacing the trans.

Good luck!

Rich

PS. One more thing to think about. The service manual says that you can 100% catch the drained fluid and refill the trans with it if it's okay. So... if they make you pay for the fluid, then change the entire SST and not credit you for the fluid change, it's your damn fluid. Get them to drain it clean and careful, put it back in the tins, and hand it over to you. That should then go in storage for your next SST fluid change.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 09:54 PM

SST issue

Just heard from Mitsubishi my car is ready to pick up, they changed the SST fluid and said it all seems ok just a minor vibration in 6th gear. They informed me to keep and eye on it over the next 2 weeks, I just hope this minor vibration is nothing and goes away after a bit of a drive as i spend a bit of time in 6th on the highway to work and the last thing i want is vibrations. $513.50 is still a pain in the *** but not much can be done about that.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Cool stuff.

Final thoughts for the record...

- That price is pretty good for a fluid change.

- If it does misbehave, and ends up being replaced, get them to give you the fluid back. The manual definitely says it's fine to drain, catch, refill.

- I don't expect they changed the SST filter... that little thing is another $200 or so. Not worth the $$$ risk if the SST was suspect, and possibly up for replacement. But just be aware you're likely still running on the original replaceable filter unit.

- Don't be in a hurry to reflash the ECU. Best to stay stock-as-a-rock for now.

Hope it behaves itself!

Rich
Old Jul 4, 2012, 08:39 AM

wow, 500.00$ for a fluid and filter change. I just had mine done for 180.52$, they probably only changed the fluid lost w/filter but still a big dif. in cost. I dd see old filter and fluid, I got to talk to the mech. doing serv.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well, part of that is because the transmission fluid is over $25/quart if you buy OEM. The transmission takes 5.4 quarts bringing the price of just the fluid alone to over $150 at most local dealers. The OEM transmission filter is over $120 as well. So, in parts alone your now over $270. Finally, it seems like dealerships charge $100/hr for labor O_o
Old Jul 4, 2012, 03:56 PM

Sst

So picked the car up this morning and drove it to work, well it has made a massive difference no bouncing revs, gear changes are quick and smoother and i swear it pulls harder also. So if anyone else has similar symptoms try changing the fluid first but beware that it might cost you a bit to do.

I was told there was a slight vibration in 6th gear and to keep an eye on it over the next week to see if it improves and if it remains bring it back in.

The break down of my bill was:
Labour: $210.00
Parts: SSTF-I Dia Queen 4ltr $256.80
Total goods & services tax $46.70

Nothing regarding replacing the filter is it possible it was in ok condition?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ledft
wow, 500.00$ for a fluid and filter change. I just had mine done for 180.52$, they probably only changed the fluid lost w/filter but still a big dif. in cost. I dd see old filter and fluid, I got to talk to the mech. doing serv.
I would be very concerned that they either did not change the fluid or changed it but put the WRONG fluid back in your transmission. There's no way a dealer or anyone else is only charging $180 for new fluid, filter, and labor.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

They could be charging cost-base only, not usual dealer mark-up. Quite possible if it was wrapped up in a warranty-based trouble-shooting exercise.

I wouldn't go worrying him saying they probably put the wrong fluid in the trans. After all that focus on SST, it's highly unlikely. They just left the filter in place. That's pretty easy to swap afterwards, anyway...

[edit]Ignore me - I mis-read your quoted text totally. It's before coffee-o'clock here in Oz.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Jul 4, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

soooo, you're saying you forgot to turn your laptop upside down before attempting to read it?

Quick Reply: SST issue