Notices

SST issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST issue

Hi All,

I've tried to search this issue but don't seem have found the right answer so i was hoping someone could answer for me. Whilst driving just at a normal speed no heavy acceleration just cruising in pretty much every gear once the speed settles and there is no acceleration or deceleration the RPM's begins to bounce continuously until i accelerate or slow down. Doesn't matter if i'm in manual, sport or normal modes.

Lastly on the way home today i noticed when going around the round about near my house and lightly accelerating up my street which is uphill there seems to be very minor jerking as if it was the clutch or something struggling.

I'm having the GST v2.7 installed this saturday and from what i've read if i'm correct the tune will iron out a bit of the transmissions jerkyness but i'm not sure if it would address these issues.

My car has done 64,000km.

Thanks,
Perry
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That's definitely not normal.

Is your car ECU still 100% stock? If so, I wouldn't go flashing a base map to it, as you have an issue that could be SST related.

Instead, take it into the dealer and talk to them about getting it investigated, with a view to warranty repair/replacement.

If you're on original factory tune, the GST Base Map will not "fix" this issue.

Just my 2c worth. The Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd drivetrain warranty is awesome... so if you've got it, flaunt it.

[edit] - Duh, I left my brain at home today. Hi Perry. We corresponded before, when you pm'd me. Memory like swiss cheese. Anyway, that rev-wobble issue is something I'd pester the dealer about. Maybe put off your reflash plans until you've got it clarified in terms of any warranty work.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Jun 28, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by finallyanevo
Hi All,

Lastly on the way home today i noticed when going around the round about near my house and lightly accelerating up my street which is uphill there seems to be very minor jerking as if it was the clutch or something struggling.

I'm having the GST v2.7 installed this saturday and from what i've read if i'm correct the tune will iron out a bit of the transmissions jerkyness but i'm not sure if it would address these issues.

My car has done 64,000km.

Thanks,
Perry
Hey Perry

I can't say for sure what is happening with your car, but I can tell you my experience with my car.
Mine did have a problem when doing U turns and going from a stand still up a hill. The car would jerk and buck before eventually it would get going.

I took it in for a service and told the mitsubishi service centre about it and they did say there was a problem. They asked for me to bring the car back for a day to run some tests. This was when I had 74,000 on the odo. No mods either.

Anyway they replaced the transmission. It took 3 days for them to do it. Very glad for the 5 year warranty. I didn't pay anything and they were kind enough to lend me a car for the time my car was in the workshop.

My advice is to take it to your dealer or service centre and tell them there is a problem before installing the GST map just in case you need to make that warranty claim. SST costs $10K+

Marcus
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Bad news...when an SST is bouncing around RPM, usually means the whole tranny is on the way out.

The internal seals (the ones that no replacement parts exist, not even from Getrag/Mitsu) have given out. The SST tries to keep increasing pressure to compensate for the leaking internal seals. That's what that bouncing around is, inner turmoil of the SST.

Get everything back to stock (including tune), cross your fingers they don't check that you've reflashed your car and they'll probably change the whole SST.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing you also have a 2009 right?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure what can happen in Aus, but over here in the states, there are 3-4 places that can service the clutch packs and seals (most likely items to go in the tc-sst).
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasoob
Get everything back to stock (including tune), cross your fingers they don't check that you've reflashed your car and they'll probably change the whole SST.
I don't think his RA has ever seen a reflash... It should be a straight-up warranty issue.

It'll be interesting to see if Mitsu are able to stretch to do more than just a total unit replacement... what with all this recent talk of SST clutch pack units appearing on their parts systems...

Rich
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm...let us know what happens. Go check warranty ASAP though then!!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and intake manifold
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and intake manifold
That has nothing to do with it. The issue is the clutch faces slipping past one another, rather than grabbing; this continues until the pressure rises to a high enough level that they engage.
It's most common at slow speeds (I get it several times a day when putz in 1st gear in parking lots; it can be heard at these speeds as "clutch chatter"); but if you are getting it while cruising on the freeway, you have bigger issues. OP, if this occurring when cruising at a fixed speed, definitely take the car to the dealer (if truly stock, they will replace the whole thing).

The internal seals (the ones that no replacement parts exist, not even from Getrag/Mitsu) have given out. The SST tries to keep increasing pressure to compensate for the leaking internal seals. That's what that bouncing around is, inner turmoil of the SST.
This can now be fixed, replacement seals are now available from Jack's Transmission, SSP and Dodson. The difficult part is finding a local shop who is qualified for this type of work (think "mending a broken bone" vs "performing brain surgery" for caliber of work needed).

TLDR; if stock have the dealer replace, if modified send out transmission for a rebuild and shoot for the stars

Last edited by sstevojr; Jun 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:10 PM

Sst

I've never tuned the car i was talking about having it tuned but of course i won't touch it now. The only thing it has is after market rims which were sold on the car as an option from the dealership when it was bought new. It has tinted windows but no idea when that was done but i wouldn't think that would effect it. I'm going to head to the dealership to have them look at it today will keep you updated.

Thanks,
Perry
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

You should be good then. For the nature of the expense I expect a Mitsu rep will want to verify the issue. But from what few things I've heard from Aussie land, they tend to be more....favorable than US reps. The fact the car is "unmolested" has historically been a shut and closed case for a replacement order. It's usually only stupid NA dealerships who try to be difficult.
Let us know how it goes
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
You should be good then. For the nature of the expense I expect a Mitsu rep will want to verify the issue. But from what few things I've heard from Aussie land, they tend to be more....favorable than US reps. The fact the car is "unmolested" has historically been a shut and closed case for a replacement order. It's usually only stupid NA dealerships who try to be difficult.
Let us know how it goes

...are the 09's having more SST-related issues than the newer models. If so, have they been fairly or relatively common for the 09's?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

While not being "common" it's almost exclusively with 08 Evo's and 09 Ralliart's (first gen SST, significant changes in subsequent years).
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
While not being "common" it's almost exclusively with 08 Evo's and 09 Ralliart's (first gen SST, significant changes in subsequent years).

Ugg thanks. My 09 is still like new (9,000 km), and I am scheduled for a tune with the addition of some mods in a couple weeks. Part of me hates rolling the dice, but I know I would regret it if I didn't or waited another year and a half. Hopefully my first gen SST will be with me for the long haul.

Quick Reply: SST issue