Notices

Updated AWC software mapping...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Updated AWC software mapping...

a.k.a. Cold weather package reflash, AWC reflash, etc...

I got the AWC service required light, was worried that my ACD pump started failing...turned out it was a bad sensor relay and dealer replaced it and they updated the AWC software mapping for me....

the service required light went away but I started noticing that the tarmac/gravel/snow indication on the dashboard would flash every once in a while and when it flashes I would not able to switch modes....i searched and one guy said he got the same thing after the reflash and the indication flashes whenever the AWC is actively transferring power between the wheels...

anyone else see the same thing after the update? Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 RA and I haven't seen this at all.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

The TSB for this issue (SB-09-002) is for 2009 and 2010 cars made before 8/28/2009. Newer cars already have the update.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
The TSB for this issue (SB-09-002) is for 2009 and 2010 cars made before 8/28/2009. Newer cars already have the update.
Does this TSB tell you the details of the update? My Tarmac/Gravel/Snow indication flashes on my dashboard intermittently when I'm driving...I was asking if this is happening to the people who also got this update....
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

SERVICE CAMPAIGN BULLETIN
SUBJECT:
AWC ECU REPROGRAMMING FOR “SERVICE
REQUIRED” LIGHT ON - SERVICE CAMPAIGN
No: SC-09-002
DATE: September, 2009
MODEL: See below
CIRCULATE TO: [ ] GENERAL MANAGER [X] PARTS MANAGER [X] TECHNICIAN
[X] SERVICE ADVISOR [X] SERVICE MANAGER [X] WARRANTY PROCESSOR [ ] SALES MANAGER

PURPOSE

This reprogramming procedure will modify the All-Wheel-Control (AWC) ECU software to accurately
match the operations check of the AYC/ACD motor with current ambient conditions. Extremely cold
weather causes increased excessive load on the motor, which could result in damage to the motor. This
bulletin describes procedures to reprogram the AWC ECU with new software parameters to prevent this
condition.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

2008-2010 Lancer Evolution produced before 8/28/2009
2009-2010 Lancer Ralliart produced before 8/28/2009
2009-2010 Lancer Sportback Ralliart produced before 8/28/2009

---

If you want the full TSB in PDF format, send me a PM and I will email it to you.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same issue. They reflashed my ACD's computer yesterday because I had the ACD Service required Warning. Since then, the Tarmac thing keeps flashing very often and while it flashes, I can't switch the mode of operation of the ACD.

I didn't talk about it with the dealer yet.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Heliart

I got the AWC service required light, was worried that my ACD pump started failing...turned out it was a bad sensor relay and dealer replaced it and they updated the AWC software mapping for me....

the service required light went away but I started noticing that the tarmac/gravel/snow indication on the dashboard would flash every once in a while and when it flashes I would not able to switch modes....i searched and one guy said he got the same thing after the reflash and the indication flashes whenever the AWC is actively transferring power between the wheels...

mine did the same thing after the AWC software flash.
scanned code afterwards was a C161F...meaning my ACD pump is pooched and not covered under the 5yr powertrain warranty
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Heliart

After a string of hot weather here in Calgary (30degC plus) I got a C161e code (read via my Cobb AccessPORT) and the S-AWC Service Required warning message. I took it in to the dealership, they ran a few diagnostics, and then did the TSB reflash. I am now getting an intermittent flashing of the TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW display, and I am now getting a C161f, just like you. I'm going to call the dealership back on Monday to inquire about this, but I'm sure they're going to tell me that the only solution is to replace the hydraulic pump.

Trailbrake, I just tried sending you a PM asking if you could send me the full TSB in .pdf format, but the system says you're not able to receive PMs...... ?

Last edited by EVLEVOX; Aug 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Same thing on our Ralliart. Everyonce in a while the AWC service light comes on.

No warranty. :-/ can ecu flash read the code?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:42 AM

Hi,

I got the update directly from the Dealer. My friend is the Head mechanic there and he asked mitsubishi directly and they told him its completely normal, it's a sign that the AWC is detecting torque changes and is transferring power. It's also double checking if the AC pump is not forcing for nothing. Go somewhere with Gravel, put it in gravel mode and try to spin or turn agressively and the Gravel will be flashing, same thing for snow. Don't worry about it.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
Same thing on our Ralliart. Everyonce in a while the AWC service light comes on.

No warranty. :-/ can ecu flash read the code?
lol yeah i need to know too...no warranty here either lmfao
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:29 PM

Even with my car at 3.5 years old and at 64,000 km, my dealership contacted the District Service Manager and they ended up covering all parts cost (i.e. pump, fluids, and any other miscellaneous nuts and bolts) under goodwill, and I only had to pay around $500 in labour. So I'm pretty happy about that.

The pump must have been losing pressure for a while and gradually deteriorating the ACD/AYC functionality, and I must have gradually gotten used to it. Because now that the pump is pumping away again, it feels like a whole new car going through corners!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVLEVOX
Trailbrake, I just tried sending you a PM asking if you could send me the full TSB in .pdf format, but the system says you're not able to receive PMs...... ?
I don't know how I missed this many months ago

The system here did some odd things with my PM settings off and on for a while there, but that appears to be sorted now.

Try the following link for the PDF doc:
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...NzFkNDcz&hl=en

If that fails, PM me your email address, and I'll send you a copy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

The system here did some odd things with my PM settings off and on for a while there, but that appears to be sorted now.

404 Not Found homie.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:05 PM

PM sent.