Notices

Smokey RA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokey RA

Ive noticed over the last couple of weeks that When iam in 6th and idle down to around 80-90km then bring it back on boost hard it feels like a few flat spots and a **** tone of smoke towards the top end. Its not dark black smoke and at the same time its not white kinda in between.
But when i Gas it from 1st and go through all the gears on full blast the smoke its hardly noticeable and its black

Iam running a boost pill+ full custom exhaust with o2 sensor and a Highflow cat and a HKS air filter and iam running a Chiptorque tune making 174kw

Am i just paranoid? Anyone will to look at the tune i could make some logs if you would want to have a look
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That's at, what, around 2250rpm?

The short answer from me would be.... don't floor it in 6th unless you've topped out 5th. These engines really hate being lugged, ie. high load in low rpms.

Think pedalling your bike up a hill as hard as you possibly can in top gear - and how much your legs complain. Your rods will feel the same.

I expect you're pushing into very rich areas of the fuel map, and that's what you're seeing coming out of the exhaust - lots of unburnt fuel muck.

If your custom tune hasn't got tall-gear defensive measures in place, it could be pushing boost up to typical peak levels as soon as it is physically able. The ECU tune can be tweaked to use one boost profile for low gears, and another for high gears - the switchover point is variable. That can keep tall-gear boost to sensible levels at lower rpms (eg. until you reach 3500-4000rpm).

[edit] The "flat spots" could be timing being retarded due to knocking, which is not something you want to have happening.

Rich
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:10 PM

makes sense Now.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTweak
with o2 sensor
As in, wideband? If so, what mixture did you see when it was doing the James Bond smokescreen?

Based on personal experience, WOT mixtures richer than 11.0:1 will start leaving sooty deposits on the exhaust pipes.

It's probably academic, though, as you'll be avoiding the map region in question from now on, I'll bet!

Rich
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:20 PM

nah just stock o2 sensor from factory. And i get plenty of sotty deposiut on the tail pipes. Iam yet to install a o2 wideband yet
can u see this in evo scan?

Last edited by AusTweak; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

yes, EvoScan can read your WB O2 sensor when you install it