Notices

oil pan gasket leak back side of oil pan.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pan gasket leak back side of oil pan.

Does anyone else have the same issue? I'm under 45000 miles. Need a gasket.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Is an actual gasket used or rtv sealant?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like I got a leak in the gasket as well.
32k on the car, but i'm sure this started around 25k because I took my car to the dealer for the free oilchange\ check up and they accused me of putting the oil filter on loosely (oil all over the under pannel)

Ever since then there has always been oil all over the oil pan and underpannel but i figured it was just left over from the first incident as my oil level never seems to drop by checking the dip stick.
So last week I had the car up on jacks and decided to take off the panel and clean it all up so i can find a source. Checking it again last weekend it seems to be the gasket.

Would you guys take this to a dealer or fix it your self? I know its not a hard job to relpace the liquid gasket I'm just worried about the dealer @$#*ing somthing up since they should have checked this out the first time oil was all over the place instead of assuming it was somthing i did wrong.

Engine is stock and under warranty, I might just take it in and cross my fingers
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:35 PM

I had the same issue my car has 30k miles on it, I noticed mine around 25k however. I just tightened the bolts back to proper torque settings, I can not remember exact numbers; they are on the forums somewhere. After I did this mine has not leaked again.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Well Friday night I drained the oil and unbolted the oil pan (btw there isan oil pump bracket that also needs to be unbolted). After all the bolts wereoff the damn thing was stuck on there like glue, I finally went to the hardwarestore and picked up the thinnest metal stucco knife I could find. There areonly 2 or 3 areas you have room to work the knife in between the pan and theblock. While working the 3rd corner I heard it finally pop off..what a B$#^!! . So anyone preparing to take the pan off please invest in a thin, flexible, metal stucco knife. It seems to be the only safe way of getting the stuck pan off.

I could not see any indicator were oil would have leaked from but the stuccoknife probably destroyed the evidence anyway. Also the factory RTV was black instead of Grey like what is explained inthe Evo X threads. I scraped off thefactory RTV with
plastic Razors plastic Razors
so that it would not scratch the surfaces. Cleanedthe surfaces off and then applied
Permatex Ultra Grey RTV Permatex Ultra Grey RTV
to the pan only. I placed it on the block and hand tightened the bolts, after an hour I then torqued them to 98 in lb. I left it to dry for about 24 hours and filled it with oil.

So far no leaks!

Last edited by neogeo64; Jun 24, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:20 AM

Just had this issue repaired under warranty. The oil pan was resealed at first but the leak returned. Turned out to be the lower timing cover leaking oil. There is a TSB(08-11-007) regarding the issue.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

I had this issue.... one of the oil pan bolts had FALLEN OUT! and a bunch more were turnable by hand.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

It feels so good to be leak free. Yesterday I recycled the piece of cardboard on my garage floor that has been soaking up my oil drippings for the last year.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having the same issue toward the back part of the pan. I will check the bolts first before I take it back in. Service guy said it will be covered under warranty either way. 2011 Ralliart with under 41k on it. Never had issues until mods but no worries. It isn't leaking all over the place yet. I posted info on this in another thread.