Notices

Throttle Body and Intake cleaning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body and Intake cleaning

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some peoples opinions about cleaning for the throttle body and some of the connecting pipes for the ralliart.

I noticed a fair amount of build up on the entrance to the TB and throughout the intake piping but wanted to check what the safe way is for cleaning it as I've heard that some of the black grease I see may actually be a factory thing not foreign build up, that and I can inadvertently wreck the seals for it.

Also what's the easiest way to clean this as it looks difficult to clean unless it's removed, maybe someone else has a better method.

Thanks

Last edited by parralegend; Aug 26, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Don't move the throttle plate by hand unless your prepared to take it to the dealer. You can use any throttle body or maf sensor cleaner.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 05:11 PM

I cleaned mine back in March. Just be sure to drain coolant or pinch the coolant lines that connect to the TB(throttle body) if you decide on removing the TB. I also disconnected the battery prior to removing it. Also be sure to pick up a new TB gasket..I got a oem off ebay for $10. I cleaned mine with MAF cleaner. Service manual says do not spray cleaner directly onto TB instead use a rag coated w/cleaner... I guess to prevent gunk,cleaner or other fancy stuff finding its way to the throttle actuator motor. Torque specs for the four bolts connecting the TB to the intake manifold 26+3 Nm 17+4ft-lb. Once I cleaned and installed back on the car service manual states these procedures to follow:

IDLE LEARNING PROCEDURE
1.Start the engine and warm to reach 80°C (176°F) or more.
NOTE:
When the engine coolant temperature is 80°C (176°F) or more, the warm-up is not needed if the ignition switch is in "ON" position once.
2.Turn the ignition switch to "LOCK" (OFF) position.
3.After 10 seconds or more, start the engine again.
4.For 10 minutes, carry out the idling under the condition shown below and then confirm the engine idles normally.
•Transaxle: Neutral (P range on vehicles with TC-SST)
•Operation in ignition-related, fan and attachments: Not to be operated
•Engine coolant temperature: 80°C (176°F) or more
NOTE:
If the engine stalls while idling, check for a dirty (on the throttle valve) of the throttle body and clean if needed. Then perform the service from Procedure 1 again.

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE FOR THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL MOTOR
When the battery cable is disconnected and reconnected, throttle
actuator control motor valve (Fully closed position) is eliminated,
so that the throttle valve opening angle control would not be performed correctly. When the battery cable is disconnected and reconnected, initialize the throttle actuator control motor using the following procedure.
1.Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position then, turn the ignition switch to "LOCK" (OFF) position.
2.For 10 seconds or more, keep the ignition switch in "LOCK" (OFF) position

Heres my TB at 50,000 miles. Don't have a after(clean) pic just use your imagination..should look better after you clean it. Don't be surprised by oil/ gunk inside intake manifold it gave me a reason to install catch cans. The valve had so much gunk built up around it causing the valve to stick not closing/opening(funky idle) You don't notice a difference while the gunk builds up cause it happens over time but once you clean it throttle response is improved and the car just feels happier.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body and Intake cleaning-dirty-tb2.jpg   Throttle Body and Intake cleaning-dirty-tb.jpg