Notices

Flutter-like sound...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flutter-like sound...

First off, I drive a 2012 RA with the v30.006 boost pill 93 oct map. Still pretty new to turbo cars and tuning. Anyways, three days ago I assembled myself the DIY SRI K&N that's on a thread on here somewhere. It has opened my ears up to the harmonics of the intake (if that makes sense). I'm happy with the way it sounds and all, but I'm not happy with this minor flutter-like sound I hear when WOT. If I recall correctly, it occurs around peak boost. Could this have something to do with the stock BPV since its the cheesy plastic stocker? Leaking at peak boost causing this light flutter sound. Is this something that may potentially cause some problems on down the road? Any help would be appreciated considering i dont want to harm my baby
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like compressor surge. Pick up a new bpv, evo x should be fine. You probably pushed that passed its limits anyway. Yes it can cause problems down the road. Also pick up a boost gauge and air/fuel gauge.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with the evo x BOV with my car still has done it. It can also contribute to wastegate fluttering open causeing the compressor surge. Its not a 'bad' sound. Its happen to me ever since i started tuning from the base map up to my evo x turbo fp red
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

I have a boost gauge installed. And at around 20 psi, if i remember correctly, thats when the flutter happens. Very faint. Badreligi0n, does your car still have the flutter problem? If not, when and how did it go away?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if it's just my imagination. The more I think about it, it starts to sound like its natural sounds. Like a mass amount of air entering the intake. There is no power drop what so ever when that mild flutter sound occurs. But it still freaks me out. If I do a nice little run with WOT and data log it and upload it, would somebody be kind enough to look into it for me and maybe help me read the log a little? Im pretty new to everything here and would appreciate it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car still flutters, and to me i dont see it as a problem, its has done it since i have started modding my car. Hell it probably could of been doing it when we had a stock air box and we might not of heard it. You did just install the SRI and now you can hear everything
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:21 PM

I also have a 2012 ralliart with the v30.07 93 oct boost pill map. I have a K&N drop in filter. I just started noticing the slight fluttering sound and have been researching the cause. I upgraded to an evo 9 bov and the noise is still there. I dont believe it is compressor surge because like you said there is no power drop off when it occurs. Mine occurs around 14psi , by 20 psi i can no longer hear it, probably due to the fact that the engine noise is now drowning it out. I have noticed that the noise is much more noticeable on colder mornings when it is damp out, on hot dry days it disapears almost entirely.