Notices

Car wouldn't start this morning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wouldn't start this morning

It's been about 3 days since I drove my car. Went to start it at 9am this morning and it wouldn't turn over. The lights, radio, a/c, ect. would turn on though.
I would turn the key and it would sound like it is trying to start, but not enough juice or something.
After a few tries, I waited a little bit. Then tried again, this time I held the starter in the ignition spot for about 10 seconds, and it finally kicked in and started. It sounded like it finally got gas or something. Idk. It would idle at 750rpm, so that's normal. It didn't drive any different than usual.
I'm gonna try again at lunch, but I hope it will start normally.

Any ideas? Could it just be from sitting for 3 days? A weak battery?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you parked on any sort of incline with the front end raised?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Car started fine during lunch, first try.

As far as an incline, I don't think so. I was on the street, I live in Houston where it's pretty flat. The only incline would be the natural grade of the street, which isn't much and it would be left to right.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

This happens to me occasionally (about once every 2 months). Can't explain how or why but it never lasts beyond the one time until the next episode.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Same thing happened to me a month ago, I would turn it and hold for around 10 sec and it wouldn't start. Switched off and tried again straight away and it starts. No idea what happened. Touch wood it hasn't happened again.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a weak battery.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:54 PM

i used to have a similar problem, i found it is because you are getting in and turning the key instantly, you have to wait for the screen to show P, basically letting them system get ready then it starts fine. have been doing this for about 5 months now and had 0 problems
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Sounds like a weak battery.
Yeah, I would say weak battery. A weak battery may start fine after being ran for a while, but sitting it will drain eventually.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

I guarantee I can make mine do this without fail. Its not the battery or trying to start too fast or anything... at least in my case.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think it's the battery as I went for a service not too long befor and they said my battery was good. Dbzguy what did u do to replicate it?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

The ralliart is bit*hy on start ups. There have been many complaints. I find that if I fallow these steps I won't have any problems:

Turn the ignition to the acc mode and wait for the fuel gauge to register (prevents no start/long cranking)

When starting, release the starter nob quickly as soon as the motor actually starts, (I have found this prevents the "SST Grind")

Get the new relays. I don't know what color is the newest black? Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Get a new battery with a higher cold cranking amps. I think above 500 is good. Stock is like 460ish and I don't believe it is enough for this motor.

By doing all of these I haven't had any starting issues in all different climates.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tencents
I don't think it's the battery as I went for a service not too long befor and they said my battery was good. Dbzguy what did u do to replicate it?
Park on an incline/grade with front end elevated for a few hours. Last time it happend, I was doing an oil change and the front was on jacks for about 4 hours. Once it was level, it took about 30min for it to start normal again.

Last edited by Dbzguy; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:01 PM

Its probably a tiny leak somewhere in the fuel system which is letting air in and the fuel is bleeding back into the tank instead of staying in the lines. nothing serious. Try turning the key too on but not start let sit for 15 secs then turn over see if that works. if it does then your fuel is bleeding back into the tank. that if it turns over easy if not then yeah your battery was probably low. Alot of people dont relize theres more then just volts to a battery. theres AMPS as well if there low they wont turn over the starter at all but youll have full lights and everything

Last edited by Smeghead; Sep 22, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for everyone's input. Since this episode, my car has started just fine.
But if this ever happens again, now I have a few things to try.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dbzguy
Park on an incline/grade with front end elevated for a few hours. Last time it happend, I was doing an oil change and the front was on jacks for about 4 hours. Once it was level, it took about 30min for it to start normal again.
I have also experienced this same problem. I'm glad I am not the only one.

Quick Reply: Car wouldn't start this morning