Notices

What Causes the Clutches to Open?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Causes the Clutches to Open?

Figured I'd ask this here... I have read actual overheating, predictive overheating, and overboosting... anything else? I'm trying to pinpoint why I cant launch, but others can.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

All three CAN, you need to log to find out which one is affecting you.
However, SSport and launching is new territory for the RA, so tread lightly.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
All three CAN, you need to log to find out which one is affecting you.
However, SSport and launching is new territory for the RA, so tread lightly.

Yeah, I've always had more issues than others when launching. Not sure why. I see other RAs pulling 1.8 60ft times, and best i can do is a 2.1 or 2.2. Any harder launch than that and clutches will open, for sure.

I'm wondering if the 2011 RA has some extra TQ limits or something in the ECU somewhere. I originally thought TCU, but it can't be because all that programming has been replaced by the MR stuff.

Kinda tempted to load up a 2011 MR ROM on my ECU with my tune on it, perhaps that will give me some undefined table as of yet that is causing my issues. Or it could be a completely hardware related issue and i just got a "bad" trans from the factory... there have been reports of clearances and things being off in some from the factory when ripped open.

Last edited by EyeDreamt; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Just to be clear, even though you flashed the MR TCU files, you are still on RA ECU files.
As a example, to launch the car the MR TCU calls out for 5500 rpm and boost/load value of XX/YY(random numbers) w/550 CPRU (more random numbers) at 5500rpm. However, the RA is setup to only anticipate Torque of 300 and when it only delivers 400 cpru, it starts to slip and goes into self preserve mode.
No clue who tunes your SST tables (if anyone) but that's where I would start. I'm not familiar w/ lauching (don't do it), but that is roughly a WOT scenario.

Last edited by sstevojr; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Just to be clear, even though you flashed the MR TCU files, you are still on RA ECU files.
As a example, to launch the car the MR TCU calls out for 5500 rpm and boost/load value of XX/YY(random numbers) w/550 CPRU (more random numbers) at 5500rpm. However, the RA is setup to only anticipate Torque of 300 and when it only delivers 400 cpru, it starts to slip and goes into self preserve mode.
No clue who tunes your SST tables (if anyone) but that's where I would start. I'm not familiar w/ lauching (don't do it), but that is roughly a WOT scenario.
Yep, I know I'm still on a RA ECU File. 56940007 to be exact. I do have custom tuned SST tables from Bryan. I've tried with those, as well as reverting back to stock SST tables, no help. I've tried reducing tps in first, and going full 100%, no help. So my next thought is, take a 2011 Evo MR rom, put my tune in all the tables we have discovered, and flash that to the car. Perhaps there are some undiscovered tables that will solve my issue. Or I may blow up the car.... or it could just be more of the same. But with at least two of those scenarios, I can either say "yes, its the ra rom having issues, a x rom fixes it, or nope, look elsewhere."