Notices

GSR 5-speed swap question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR 5-speed swap question

Ok, I have an 09 RalliArt and I noticed a few days ago that the trans seemed to slip a little in 4th gear when the trans warmed up. I know how much the trans is, I know that I am not attempting to do any work to it myself, and I know that there isn't really a shop around here that will be able to do the work for a decent amount. What I am wondering is if anyone on here has tried doing the GSR 5-speed swap to their RalliArt, how much it cost, and how difficult it was to do. I haven't driven the car since I noticed the slip because I don't want to risk further damage to it since it's my daily and I have been thinking of just trading it in. I am actually going to the dealer tomorrow to get it appraised and look at other cars (none of which are a Mitsu because the only thing they sale that I would buy in my price range is another RalliArt and I don't want the TC-SST). Any advice on the 5-speed swap would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a 5-speed swap from the ECU side of things alone.

Rich

PS. Are you running that SST with fresh fluid and a new filter?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:32 PM

I have not swapped fluid or filter yet. Like I said, it's been parked since I noticed it so I haven't even tried to move it at all. Would you be able to swap the ECU also? I have also thought about sending it to get modded instead of worrying about trading it in or swapping or having a new trans thrown in. It is barely noticeable and, like I said, only happens when the trans is warm so I know the dealer isn't going to notice when I go to trade it in (I actually thought I was just imagining it or my foot was bouncing on the accelerator a little at first). I wouldn't really mind changing the fluid and the filter but I don't really want to have this trans at all anymore after finding out how much it costs to replace. I mean, I can do work on a manual and an auto but I've seen pics the SST cracked open and I about crapped my pants lol.

Last edited by nmlovano; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added something
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

it's just a matter of getting used to or familiar with something. obviously it's just your first time to see it, but once you open it and follow the diy, piece of cake.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:46 PM

I will say that I have been thinking of taking it to the dealer. I have 52,720 miles on it and I don't know if it has a warranty on it. I bought it used with 37K miles on it and as far as I'm aware, the guy who owned it before put no mods on it. All I have done at the moment is an aftermarket exhaust and I know there is no way that it's cause the trans to slip. It's no where near as bad as what I've seen other people post about on the threads. It just seems like 4th doesn't really want to grab and stick when accelerating.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

I change my SST fluid and filter every 20,000km.

How many miles has yours done since 2009, presumably on that original factory fluid?

This is kind of chicken and egg. You're worried it's not driving right, and worried about the SST failing, so you are considering changing the vehicle and are leery of performing a maintenance fluid change.

But if you'd performed the maintenance fluid change, you would very likely not be experiencing it not driving right, so wouldn't be as worried about the SST failing... and likely wouldn't be considering changing vehicles so seriously.

So in the end, it simple comes down to what you want.

In an attempt to make it easy for you... just bite the bullet and get a full SST fluid/filter service done. If you keep it, it'll feel great. If you sell it, it'll drive well - and you can tell the prospective buyer it's had the expensive SST service just done.

Rich
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:21 PM

I don't know if the fluid was changed by the guy who owned it before me. All maintenance was done at a dealer so I always assumed that it had already been done (I got a CarFax with the car when I bought it and it did show all the work was done there). The only reason I'm leery of doing the change is because I would be taking it to trade it in, not sell it. Not really wanting to spend the extra money, ya know
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:22 PM

If the fluid hasn't been changed, it's at 52,720 miles on factory. I can see how that could cause a problem and I never thought about that.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

I bet you $1,000,000,000,000,000 * the fluid hasn't been changed once in its life.

Rich

* Zimbabwe Dollars
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:36 PM

Now that it has been mentioned, I'm going to guess you're right lol. There is a reason I did get the car for a steal. The guy who owned it before me didn't know how to take care of it. He hit at least one stationary object (most of the front end is newer) and the reason I say at least one is because the rear bumper is a slightly different color than the rest of the car lol. Now, having said this, I bought the car because the front end repairs were done at a Mitsu dealer. Also, I got it for $18K with 36K miles on it. Couldn't beat that at all. And up until the issue with the trans, it's run great. I do have another question though, if I end up keeping the car, should I just send the trans out for performance rebuild (I was planning on trying to get around 400 HP before the Buschur DSM/Evo Shootout next year).
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Do this at least. Take a look at how dirty ur filter is, if anything u will lose very little oil doing this. Follow the simple instructions and remove the filter, is its pure black then it needs a service and is acting this way because of it! Most of us who has had this car for a while can tell u what a difference and oil change can make! I for one can say that!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:44 PM

OK, you guys talked me into it lol. I'll take it to the dealer in the morning and have them just do the flush there. Is there any specific fluid you guys would recommend or do you think the Mitsu fluid would be good? This could actually end up saving me money because if I'm liking how it runs and I keep it, that means I won't be spending money on a down payment on a new car (I could see some parts coming to me though ) Plus, I just bought a new speakers, radio, dash kit, wiring harnesses, and all that fun stuff 2 days before it started acting up.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:48 PM

Or maybe I could talk my wife into letting me trade it for a 2013 RalliArt lol
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:07 PM

I had the same symptoms. Used RA ~50,000km and since the SST fluid and filter isnt part of the Mitsubishi normal services until something like 80-100'000km it was never changed.
Changed it right away and the rev bouncing/slipping went away. It came out like black molasses and fresh green silky smooth fluid went back in.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nmlovano
I do have another question though, if I end up keeping the car, should I just send the trans out for performance rebuild (I was planning on trying to get around 400 HP before the Buschur DSM/Evo Shootout next year).
Don't get a performance rebuild. First things first.

Originally Posted by nmlovano
Is there any specific fluid you guys would recommend or do you think the Mitsu fluid would be good?
The dealer will use Mitsubishi Dia-Queen SSTF-1 fluid. Some people use other fluids, but in your case I'd say stick with 100% overpriced dealer stuff. I use Dia-Queen SSTF-1 myself.

You should also insist on them replacing the old SST filter with a new one.

The dealer may or may not have a clue about SSTs.

- They may tell you the SST fluid doesn't ever need changing. It does.

- They may tell you there is no SST fluid filter, or that it doesn't need changing. There is, and it does.

It's an expensive service, but a necessary one.

After you've got this one out the way, look at your other drivetrain fluids. Once you've recovered financially, that is.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: GSR 5-speed swap question