Notices

What downpipes are compatible with the RA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What downpipes are compatible with the RA?

Hey all,

Just doing some research and trying to find out which downpipes are compatible with the RA. This is for the Td04 turbo only (CBRD RAD lite).

I am particularly interested on the following Apex'i downpipe:

GT Downpipe, 2008-2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Part Number: 145-M006 GT Downpipe
Application: Year: 2008-2011
Make: Mitsubishi Model: Lancer Evolution X Chassis: CZ4A Engine: 4B11T
Specs: Piping Diameter: 70mm (2.76 in)
Full Stainless Steel

The Apex'i page does not give out much info, and I know there's quite a few downpipes which are interchangeable between the RA and the EvoX, hence my question. However if the above does not fit, what's everybody running? Any feedback/reviews would be welcome.

Last edited by Hecky; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

downpipes made for 2009+ RAs are compatible with the 2009+ RAs (stock and RAD turbo'ed cars)....
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by nunyas
downpipes made for 2009+ RAs are compatible with the 2009+ RAs (stock and RAD turbo'ed cars)....
Mmmm....ok. Thanks for that, but my question was what downpipes are available for the RA? And, are the downpipes available for the EvoX also fit the RA?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I answered your second question already. The down pipes that fit the RA (stock turbo and RAD turbo) are the down pipes that are specifically designed for the RA. The EvoX uses a different turbo (TD05) and the exhaust routing in that area of the car is slightly different. So, EvoX down pipes will not work with RA's that have stock or RAD turbos. In case you don't know, the RAD turbo uses the RA's stock turbo frame (TD04). So, exhaust components that fit the stock RA will fit a RA with a RAD turbo.

There are plenty of aftermarket downpipes available for the RA. Ultimate-Racing is one of the most popular. HKS makes one, but it isn't 3in (it's 2.5in IIRC).

With a little bit of effort, you could have found a sticky thread in the main 09+ Lancer Ralliart General that has an extensive list of aftermarket parts and manufacturers:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-mod-list.html
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:09 PM

You'd also have to check if you need RHD specific one for our aussie cars.

I know for the TD05 turbos we need a RHD specific 02/downpipe to clear the steering rack.
I'd get in touch with UR and tell them what your after and if they have a solution. The guys were pretty helpful when i got my stuff sorted.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

are you talking about having the o2 housing as well? only one that i have come across is the ultimate racing one (3" long). not sure how the fitting would be with a rhd drive...

Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:02 PM

ultimate racing makes downpipes that fit on the RA's i had one on my car
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:54 AM

I was thinking more of something like this:

or

ie, the pipe from the dump to the cat only. Now, both these pipes fit both the EvoX and the RA, however there are quite a few pipes which only fit the EvoX. Is there a difference? I understand that the dump is different, bigger turbo, bigger exhaust outlet. However dump pipe back, they are both the same, aren't they?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by billyboy1
are you talking about having the o2 housing as well? only one that i have come across is the ultimate racing one (3" long). not sure how the fitting would be with a rhd drive...

Hey Billyboy,

Yeah, saw this one, frankly I'm not sure it would fit our RHD cars, and have heard the flex joint collapsing under certain circumstances?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by glenn1234
You'd also have to check if you need RHD specific one for our aussie cars.

I know for the TD05 turbos we need a RHD specific 02/downpipe to clear the steering rack.
I'd get in touch with UR and tell them what your after and if they have a solution. The guys were pretty helpful when i got my stuff sorted.
Hey Glenn,

Yeah I know, RHD/LHD pain the as$ frankly...

Just trying to source something o/s as local prices for parts are a bit of joke... ("Australia tax and all")

Last edited by Hecky; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Meh
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
I answered your second question already. The down pipes that fit the RA (stock turbo and RAD turbo) are the down pipes that are specifically designed for the RA. The EvoX uses a different turbo (TD05) and the exhaust routing in that area of the car is slightly different. So, EvoX down pipes will not work with RA's that have stock or RAD turbos. In case you don't know, the RAD turbo uses the RA's stock turbo frame (TD04). So, exhaust components that fit the stock RA will fit a RA with a RAD turbo.

There are plenty of aftermarket downpipes available for the RA. Ultimate-Racing is one of the most popular. HKS makes one, but it isn't 3in (it's 2.5in IIRC).

With a little bit of effort, you could have found a sticky thread in the main 09+ Lancer Ralliart General that has an extensive list of aftermarket parts and manufacturers:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-mod-list.html
This is only partially correct.

You CAN use certain EvoX downpipes on the RA while retaining the stock RA turbo. As long as you are shopping for the "short"-version downpipe that does not include the O2 housing, the EvoX downpipe WILL fit onto a RA.

As far as the APEXi pipe that you show, that is not an application specific photo since the "short" downpipe for the X and RA only have 2 bolts holding the pipe to the O2 housing. I would contact APEXi for more accurate information/photos to see if their downpipe includes the O2 portion and whether or not it replaces just the downpipe section, or the downpipe and cat sections (which it appears to do in that photo, if that were applicable to the X) or just browse one of the many other options available that are known functional products.

Also, a more helpful sticky would have been this (see post #2): https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...reference.html

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:15 PM

Cool, thanks dude.

Cheers