Notices

BOOM goes the Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably had less ethanol than advertised, resulting in lower octane than expected and uncontrolled detonation... etc... kind of the same concept as getting a tank of bad gas.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RalliMark
Bad e85? What do you mean by that?
e85 has varying qualities state by state and season by season. sometimes it isnt always 85% ethanol. When it is less than 85% ethanol but your car is tuned for 85%, major issues can arise with dangerous lean conditions. CA is very consistent but other states have varying qualities. Some people suggest testing a batch before use, or getting an ethanol content sensor. Regardless, always have an AFR gauge and watch it closely.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdonix
e85 has varying qualities state by state and season by season. Sometimes it isnt always 85% ethanol. When it is less than 85% ethanol but your car is tuned for 85%, major issues can arise with dangerous lean conditions. Ca is very consistent but other states have varying qualities. Some people suggest testing a batch before use, or getting an ethanol content sensor. Regardless, always have an afr gauge and watch it closely.
this.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Winter blend is going to have a lower octane rate but it runs richer not leaner.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old May 14, 2013, 05:38 PM

I am glad the story have a happy ending!

I might be able to throw support to the "lower octane = bad" for the Ralliart especially if we are tuned for a specific gas.

My car is tuned for 93 and for some time the gas station I usually go to closed for renovation. I end up going to the gas station down the street. Since I am a car noob, I made the mistake of assuming "premium = 93" and simply asked for premium when I gassed up. After 2 fill up of this stuff it triggered the "Check Engine" light in my car.

When I went to the dealership, the diagnostic said my O2 sensor is faulty. Replacement is over $600 not including labor.

I backtracked what I've done to the car in the meantime and learned that the premium at the back up gas station I went to maxed out at 91. So I went to a Hess further down the road and gassed up on 93 again and the problem went away on its own.

It's not as dramatic as to what happened to EyeDreamt but I think it's relevant and want to share what happened.

Moral of the story: Octane count need to be taken seriously especially for tuned Ralliarts.