Notices

Ultimate Racing Single Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Racing Single Exhaust Review

Preface:
I have the greatest wife in the world. In addition to tickets for Tiesto, the Tiesto Nyt Life Guess Watch and Powerslot rotors with Hawk LTS pads, she also bought me the UR single exit exhaust with resonated midpipe for Christmas. All I bought her was an Eco steam iron and some clothes....yeah I'm a bad husband.

Review:
I absolutely love this exhaust. It's honestly quieter than I thought it would be and quieter than any aftermarket exhaust I've ever had (even compared to the 2.5" custom dual-resonator plus magnaflow I had on my 1.8t A4).

Now where to begin?

Fitment - perfect. It honestly fits even better than the pictures on UR's website (the tip isn't as close to the edge of the cutout as the ones in their pictures, and sticks out a bit further). Welds look great.

Performance - without a dyno, I will not make any comments but the subjective throttle response improvement is worth the price of entry alone. I don't care about numbers, honestly, as the mods I've done are solely to tailor the car's driving characteristics to what I desire (GST v3.0 basemap, Evo X MAF with AEM filter, the exhaust and the brakes).

Sound - I absolutely love it. It's not loud. At all. There's a wonderfully satisfying burble to it (almost the Wookie gargle) under moderate acceleration, the boominess on overrun is less than any exhaust I've ever had and really is only a bit louder than stock and there's zero unwanted resonance at highway speeds (100kmh - 130kmh). Even the popping of unburnt fuel when letting off the throttle isn't intrusive, and that's in part to the resonated midpipe but mostly due to the 7" round muffler.

Even the installer, who is the UR dealer here, said this was the first single exit from them he's installed and that it sounded way better than any of the dual exits that they sell a lot of. It's got a great smooth tone, isn't ricer-loud and honestly is probably louder inside than outside, so I get to enjoy its sound without being a jerk to people around me.

Attached is a sound clip (zipped), sorry it's just from my S3 phone with me at idle, a few low revs then a blip to about 2500 rpm.

EDIT - zip is too big to attach, here is just the mp3 - http://www.freefilehosting.net/ursound

Last edited by majinfajita; Dec 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:24 AM

Good to know, got one shipping to my house. My AMS twin tip keeps hitting my driveshaft. Not too happy Got any videos of the sound?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bjax4B11T
Good to know, got one shipping to my house. My AMS twin tip keeps hitting my driveshaft. Not too happy Got any videos of the sound?
only the mp3 for now, sorry
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:23 PM

This is my current setup. You think I'll like the UR more?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly it won't be as loud and with a resonated midpipe even less aggressive. So it depends on preference. If you want it louder, skip the midpipe but basically yours sounds like the UR twin exit currently so that may be what you're looking for.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by majinfajita
Honestly it won't be as loud and with a resonated midpipe even less aggressive. So it depends on preference. If you want it louder, skip the midpipe but basically yours sounds like the UR twin exit currently so that may be what you're looking for.
Just swapped out my AMS twin tip exhaust for the UR single exit. Happiest guy in the world. Sounds a lot less tractor-y and very nice and deep tone. Only thing is my backfires are so much more quiet

Definitely consider this exhaust before any others
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bjax4B11T
Just swapped out my AMS twin tip exhaust for the UR single exit. Happiest guy in the world. Sounds a lot less tractor-y and very nice and deep tone. Only thing is my backfires are so much more quiet

Definitely consider this exhaust before any others
I'm glad you like it! I'm still absolutely in love with mine...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Funny what a few vibrant pieces and some good welding can become :-)

Love my UR single :-)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

UR is also proudly made in Canadalingam.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

UR gets very rusty and has pretty subpar flanges. I'm generally dissatisfied with their product aside from the long downpipe. When I look at my UR cat where it bolts up to my Magnaflow, you can see the quality difference.

I used UR since only they had a long downpipe with divorced wastegate for the Ralliart turbo. It's well made bit the cat/test pipe is pretty cheap. I've never seen thee cat-back but I'm sure it's safe to assume the flanges get very rusty. The UR dual is also very loud.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoob
UR gets very rusty and has pretty subpar flanges. I'm generally dissatisfied with their product aside from the long downpipe. When I look at my UR cat where it bolts up to my Magnaflow, you can see the quality difference.

I used UR since only they had a long downpipe with divorced wastegate for the Ralliart turbo. It's well made bit the cat/test pipe is pretty cheap. I've never seen thee cat-back but I'm sure it's safe to assume the flanges get very rusty. The UR dual is also very loud.
How's the divorced wastegate down pipe? Worth getting? And that's why I put exhaust paint on the flanges for a bit of protection. Hate that they use mild steel on them
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob

Ymmv as always. Plus the duals, in addition to sounding louder and crasser, failed at the y split for a lot of people in non snowy climates with early cat backs, but the furor died quickly as UR replaced stuff and later models didn't fail.

Time will tell but I've had mild aluminized steel exhausts last five Calgary winters without s spot of rust.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

The long downpipe is actually great and isn't a 'wide mouth' style which in my opinion is the worst type. This has a separate recirculating pipe that connects further down sort of like the ETS EvoX one. Definite cudos to UR on the Ralliart long downpipe. I feel that UR long downpipe mated to my CBRD Rad Lite has produced some pretty substantial results for such a small turbo.

And very good idea with the exhaust paint on the flanges. I sadly missed that spec on their site and to my dismay the winter after installation, the flanges were really rusted out.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:37 PM

Love my UR Single Exit
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

just some videos of gentle cruising.