Notices

Additives

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additives

I got some coupons for oil changes, maintenance, etc... from the Mitsu deale. I noticed the listed "Install Wynn engine treatment" on the 30k maintenance. (Not sure what they would install lol) Past cars I have owned the manual stated not to use additives in the oil, but I couldn't find anything in my manual, though I few pages have been tore out of course. Regardless I'm not interested in having them put this into my vehicle, but does anyone else use this type or product?

I'll use fuel injector cleaner from time to time, even though I get quality gas and change the oil frequently on my cars.

Def giving Sea Foam a go after reading the comments here.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably some oil additive that will perform "miracle restoration" on your engine that the stealership wants to charge you extra for.

I would opt out of it and save yourself a few bucks and if anything go get some Lucas oil stabilizer/additive and put some in the crankcase.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wynn's is an aftermarket lubricant/fluid/additive company, neither specifically recommended nor required for your vehicle by Mitsubishi. In comparison to ots brands like Lucas, however, the majority of Wynn's specialty products are usually better in-terms of quality. I personally prefer B G Products, but that's just me. S&S Automotive also offers similar, high-quality professional-level products if you are looking for another alternative.

Having personal experience with their, as well as other, comparable, products; depending on which "treatment" they are referring to, it could be worthwhile or it could be totally unnecessary and a waste of money.

There is one process that they offer, similar in application to SeaFoam, but more effective and worthwhile (and notably more expensive, as well) which would save you the hassle if you plan on doing something like this in the future, anyway.

There are also some other chemical fluid-additives that are decent-quality, but not entirely necessary if you are stringent with your maintenance routine.

I would ask them to be more specific on which "treatment" they are referring to and research further before agreeing or disagreeing with it as of yet.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:17 AM

lol I remember when i used to sell these kind of products when i worked in a dealership as a mechanic.
Every Wynns Cap was saved and in return for 50 caps we would get a 24 pack of beer/carton.
Every service i would recomend about 5 products and all ways got at least 3.
The Wynns guy would rock up every 2 weeks with at least a pallet load of beer in the back going around his market area
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:21 AM

^ HA nice. I'm not a fan. I did Seafoam, only to add to the gas tank, don't feel like putting into the vacuum lines. Thanks!