Notices

Transmission place said they wont do a fluid change on my RA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission place said they wont do a fluid change on my RA

Called this place that was recommended by another shop I have used in the past, supposed to be number one for doing trans service blah blah. First off they couldnt figure out what type of Trans this is after I tell them over and over again, then couldnt figure out what engine it is after I tell them. Then they call back and ask for my VIN cause thats the only way they can figure out what stuff they have to order. So just got a call from them and first they say I dont have to change the fluid cause the dealer told them it doesnt need to be changed till 100K. I tell them thats incorrect, then they say the fluid costs $190 a pint and they need a special electronic tool to measure the amount of fluid that goes back in... I just laugh and say ok, I'll try someplace else....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Diy!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah just do it yourself. It only takes a few hours. While your at it change your diff and transfer while your down there. Also thas outrageous $190 per pint?!?! Check out Fred beans. I was able to get both for a little over $300. And get a reusable filter from ssp to avoid having to pay for one over and over again. Also once your done with everything you can take the used fluid to auto zone or where ever for them to recycle it for you.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^this.

'The Special Electronic Measuring Device is a bucket with gradations to approximate the amount to refill. You can alos open the spill port on the side (but it is difficult due to the RA (vs the EVO)).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Diy!

Fully would do it myself if I had the space and time, just dont right now. Im at 35K and think it needs to be done though so still trying to find a place close to me that can do it besides the dealer
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer. A performance shop that works on MRs & Ralliarts. Or DIY. Those are your options.

Mitsubishi is just in the last year getting around to going out and speaking about this trans and how to do fluid changes, etc on it at conferences and on webinars for "normal" trans shops. It'll be even longer til that information trickles into general service shops.

You MAY get lucky and find a shop that knows these things, but probably not.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EyeDreamt
The dealer. A performance shop that works on MRs & Ralliarts. Or DIY. Those are your options.

Mitsubishi is just in the last year getting around to going out and speaking about this trans and how to do fluid changes, etc on it at conferences and on webinars for "normal" trans shops. It'll be even longer til that information trickles into general service shops.

You MAY get lucky and find a shop that knows these things, but probably not.

Yep , afraid youre right. Price to pay for driving something other than a sheepmobile
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$179 to do it yourself.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neogeo64
$179 to do it yourself.

Right on Bro, thanks for that link
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's actually fairly easy.

Jack car up (you can even do this in an autozone parking lot, borrow their tools for free.

There's a hex screw under the battery, open that up.

Then get underneath the car, there are 3 hex screws under the transmission. Undo em 1 at a time and drain into a bucket.

If you want, undo the hose in the transmission cooler and drain that too. (I didn't cause I was lazy).

When you're done, undo the transmission filter and replace. Just watch out for the clip, the thing breaks off easily. Pre-wet the filter with fluid.

Now, on the bucket, mark where the fluid level is. Pour out the old fluid, wipe down the bottom of the bucket, refill with the same amount of fluid until a hair over the marked line.

Use a long narrow funnel to refill the transmission.

Pat self on back.