Notices

How is your sst holding up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rahtid
I wonder if the majority 09-10 that had transmission issues were caused my how the cars were tuned, I remember watching 2 different 09 ralliarts get tuned and the clutches didn't long
I heard from my tuner it is the way the SST is tuned from the factory... also maybe quality of clutches installed? o.O who can answer this!!!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:44 AM

2009 Ralliart current 168,000km. No Mods, owned it since new

SST fluid and filter changed at 40,000km, 80,000km 120,000km and scheduled for OEM Trans service next

Drive it like a boss almost all over 80km very little city in both standard and automatic lots of cruise engaged driving

SST has some issues now with premature shift from 5 to 6 gear, sounds & feels like the clutch shutter for just a few seconds, having a good look at it this service otherwise drives smother than my 2009 BMW Z4

Will let everyone know what's up
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

My 09 RA which has spent its entire life stock until just recently has 110,000 miles and the only issue I have is early in the morning when the engine is still cold, it will slip a little in-between gears. After 2 minutes of driving, it stops.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 09:40 AM

Not issue yet. RA 09 45k km, no mod (for now), no track. Done flushing one time with Pentonsin at around 35k km.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98K miles. I did one flush at 80K. Fluid was black as night.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my SST is broke :(

2011 Ralliart which had GST basemaps, AEM intake, cat back, boost pill and I did the SST evo x Super Sport flash and it was all great...

I'll be honest I don't beat the car, but I do push her pretty hard occasionally, that being said the car only has 35k KM and I recently did the trans fluid change.

So one day driving very relaxed but always in sport manual, I was cruising shifted maybe 30 seconds before the transmission issue light comes up I have no drive, so I got it into a parking lot turned it off gave it a few minutes and started it again, I was able to limp her home with only 2nd, 4th and I'm assuming 6th but never used it, so one clutch pack must have been off as a safety feature. Next day I started her and all the gears were back and working though there is a clicking noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and a horrible grinding noise when shifting or decelerating 4th to 5th, checked the code and P183D (shift fork 2 malfunction)

Anyway to sum it up will be bringing it to Mitsu hopefully very soon and will report what happens including if they notice I flashed Super Sport

I also want to be clear that I do not blame the Super Sport flash at all, many many people have done it and had zero issues for months, I only had it on a couple of weeks and barely used it.

Last edited by RalliFast; Sep 24, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

2009 with 81,5xx miles and my mods are in my sig. Bought the car about a year ago with 67,000 miles and it was all stock. The previous owner hadn't done the SST fluid change so I had it done first thing. Flashed Super Sport L/C about three months ago. I drive my car pretty hard. No issues at all. 1-2 shift in the morning is a bit abrupt the first or second time it shifts but it's always done that. Let me stress this. DO NOT WAIT FOR THE FACTORY RECOMENED FLUID CHANGE INTERVALS!!!! And only use the factory fluid. I think changing it every 35k is a good idea. If we're all honest here there's not a one of us that doesn't beat our cars pretty regularly. I know the fluid and filter is EXPENSIVE but it's waaaaay cheaper than new clutches or a new trans.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RalliFast
2011 Ralliart which had GST basemaps, AEM intake, cat back, boost pill and I did the SST evo x Super Sport flash and it was all great...

I'll be honest I don't beat the car, but I do push her pretty hard occasionally, that being said the car only has 35k KM and I recently did the trans fluid change.

So one day driving very relaxed but always in sport manual, I was cruising shifted maybe 30 seconds before the transmission issue light comes up I have no drive, so I got it into a parking lot turned it off gave it a few minutes and started it again, I was able to limp her home with only 2nd, 4th and I'm assuming 6th but never used it, so one clutch pack must have been off as a safety feature. Next day I started her and all the gears were back and working though there is a clicking noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and a horrible grinding noise when shifting or decelerating 4th to 5th, checked the code and P183D (shift fork 2 malfunction)

Anyway to sum it up will be bringing it to Mitsu hopefully very soon and will report what happens including if they notice I flashed Super Sport

I also want to be clear that I do not blame the Super Sport flash at all, many many people have done it and had zero issues for months, I only had it on a couple of weeks and barely used it.
Not the first time I have heard someone mention the shift fork issue. I think it depends on the car and mods. Some people have it and others never do. Would be nice to know what causes it or why it only affects some people and not others.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I hope they just put in a new one, I hear that Mitsu doesn't work on these transmissions, they just swap... Anyone have experience transmission warranty claim?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by RalliFast
Well I hope they just put in a new one, I hear that Mitsu doesn't work on these transmissions, they just swap... Anyone have experience transmission warranty claim?
That used to be the case: they just swapped transmissions, but 1-2 years back (and at least in Australia) Mitsu are cracking them open and changing bits.

I have a '09 RA, transmission started to slip at highway speeds. I took it in, they agreed to repair under warranty. Clutch basket assembly and flywheel assembly replaced, along with new SST fluid and teach-in procedure performed - according to the worksheet/invoice.

Drives like new. In fact, better than new. Random clunks and other weird behaviours which I read online here and elsewhere that are completely normal and which other people have reported happening on their SST transmissions were all absent since it was rebuilt.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 05:31 PM

Graphite 2010 RA Stock (18K)

So...

I bought my RA around this time last year with about 13K miles on it, and had no issues until now. The services were done based on time, and not mileage (as I just did my 50K service). She was babied by the previous owner and the interior and exterior of the car was in brand new condition.

My TC-SST, and car is still completely stock to this point. The house has been eating money, so the car has been a little ways down on this list of financial priorities.

Now to the issue...

About two weeks ago the car started randomly shifting from 6th to 5th gear (in normal-automatic mode) after light aggressive highway driving at about 70MPH for around 10 miles.

Once I slowed down, the car would start ghost shifting, then eventually act like it was in neutral showing the car to be in second gear. Giving the car gas would only throttle the engine, and not shift the car. However restarting the car would fix the issue entirely.

A few days later, the same thing happened and the TRANSMISSION SERVICE, and service engine light came on. Turning off the car fixed the issue this time, but the light remained on. The next day I limped her into the dealership (Avoiding 6th gear).

All they found was that the car was slipping on take off, this

Originally Posted by WickedWhiteRA
38xxx miles on my DD. Round trip is about 100 miles and a lot of stop and go traffic on my way home. I have ZERO mods unless you consider a K & N drop in a mod. Everything else is completely stock. No issues yet and I have not changed the fluid or filter. I don't race (drag,roll etc..)but I do run it hard occasionally. I'm probably easier on my car than most here and I almost always keep it in auto/normal mode. The only thing I have noticed is that it does slip a bit while engaging first gear from a dead stop when it's cold. Once warmed up though it's fine. I plan on doing a fluid/filter change soon but so far so good.
Since the drive-train is still under warranty, they called the MITSU tech line, and were instructed to replace the clutch pack. (They'd probably do the same thing for this guy)

They drove the car after, and found no issues. (Who knows in what modes, and at what level)

However the next day while I was driving home, the same issue with the car shifting from 6th to 5th after 5-10 miles of driving above 70mph, and the eventual dead neutral issue happened. Turning the car off and on, fixed the issue, and there was no service lights.

That same night I drove the car in Sport Automatic aggressively up and down some back streets (it was after midnight), and did some rolling launches all the way up to 100+ MPH. No issues with the car in the slightest...

As of now I avoid 70MPH in 6th gear, and in the last three days have not had the issue (I'm waiting on a rental to become available at the dealer).

She should be going back in some time this week, with specific instructions for them to drive aggressively on the highway for 5-10 miles consistently.

They also told me they re-calibrated the computer after the clutch pack installation. (BTW This/the new clutch pack removed the slip while taking off from 1st gear)

Since my warranty is going to run out in about a year (or less) she will be getting this : http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...t-package.html

I'm not happy that the first 5K (7 w/labor) I dump into the car is going to need to be in the trany, and not in power mods or suspension/break upgrades. I may do the FMIC upgrade and tune before then, but that's about it.

After the trany is ready for more power, I'm probably going with ETS T3 Twin Scroll Turbo and all the needed conversions that come with it, the EVO X manifold, etc.

I'll post updates on the TC-SST as I have them.

Edit : Btw... Never tracked the car, DD in mostly Normal Automatic mode, and the car gets some spirited driving on the weekends.

Last edited by SteveXRA10X; Sep 29, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 05:42 PM

I have a 2009 ralliart 53000 miles not a single issue other than rough switch from 3rd to 4th dealer changed fluid no issues any more
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be fair to say that if the car is shifting as smoothly as when new, then you can probably cruise to the 60K mark before changing SST fluids? Is there a service indicator that comes on that specifically says 'tranny service required' or something like that? I'm at 36K miles (and zero mods) and it feels just fine. Would love to save some $$$ and not change fluids prematurely. I know save money now and pay more later, but if you just DD this car and don't drag race, don't autoX, don't even drive it 'hard', then why change out the expensive SST fluids early?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
No TC-SST indicator (other than your table in the manual...).

Mine was fine/went to 60K for the first change. I am at 90K and no issues (other than 5 to 6th 'slap' if I am not giving it enough power (like it has 'slack')). I would ever so occasionally get a code and limp mode esp. when cold - but a code reset cleared it up with no issues...

I know I am quite fortunate!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

I changed my fluid first at 67k miles and then 108k miles. No issues with my SST and I'm almost to 120,000 miles. If you drive it like a grandma like I do, the trans fluid can be changed less frequently. It's always "safest" to go with the manual, so do what you feel is best.

Quick Reply: How is your sst holding up