Notices

How is your sst holding up

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is your sst holding up

SO this will be a thread to determine how long and how well the SST for the Ralliart and the EVOMR is holding up.

Please post your mods list, Dyno graph if you have it, How many miles you have currently, And remember continue to update.

The point of this thread is to keep tabs so if something bad happens to one person with an SST than we may be able to learn from it and not face the same fate.

Also post if it is daily driver, track only, A mix of both, do you launch or baby the car, do you only race from a roll etc etc
Old Dec 21, 2013, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38xxx miles on my DD. Round trip is about 100 miles and a lot of stop and go traffic on my way home. I have ZERO mods unless you consider a K & N drop in a mod. Everything else is completely stock. No issues yet and I have not changed the fluid or filter. I don't race (drag,roll etc..)but I do run it hard occasionally. I'm probably easier on my car than most here and I almost always keep it in auto/normal mode. The only thing I have noticed is that it does slip a bit while engaging first gear from a dead stop when it's cold. Once warmed up though it's fine. I plan on doing a fluid/filter change soon but so far so good.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WickedWhiteRA
38xxx miles on my DD. Round trip is about 100 miles and a lot of stop and go traffic on my way home. I have ZERO mods unless you consider a K & N drop in a mod. Everything else is completely stock. No issues yet and I have not changed the fluid or filter. I don't race (drag,roll etc..)but I do run it hard occasionally. I'm probably easier on my car than most here and I almost always keep it in auto/normal mode. The only thing I have noticed is that it does slip a bit while engaging first gear from a dead stop when it's cold. Once warmed up though it's fine. I plan on doing a fluid/filter change soon but so far so good.
Yea it does take a while to warm up. I find that sport mode manual helps with the slipping.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedWhiteRA
I almost always keep it in auto/normal mode.
Say it isn't so!!!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:57 PM

2009 RA, 66,000 miles currently, no issues, bought used... I serviced her at 40,000 and 60,000 miles, no idea if it was serviced before I bought her.

Full bolt ons and GST basemaps most of its life, recently had Adam tune up the sst tables due to a little slip when tap launching at the drag strip.

Chris
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Chris

What are your mods ? Do you have any dyno data you can share ?
What was wrong with your tables from before and what was changed ?

Did the slipping resolve itself now that the tables are changed ?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:05 AM

at 101k, (62k miles) still holding up on GST map and pill (only notable mods). I'll be services in about 1600 miles, so I'll probably do my transmission fluid then.

The only problem I've noticed is a sort of burning rubber smell when I drive a little hard. But I'm pretty sure that's not from the SST
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by DAN123AC
Chris

What are your mods ? Do you have any dyno data you can share ?
What was wrong with your tables from before and what was changed ?

Did the slipping resolve itself now that the tables are changed ?

Full bolt on, 3" turbo back exhaust, 100 cell high flow cat, short ram intake, boost pill, ILKR8E6 NGK ( stock x ) plugs @ .022, 3.5" depo intercooler and all hard pipes, Forge BOV.

Love the GST basemaps, Bryan and Rich do awesome work, no issues and run daaamn good. 93 octane, boost pill, TBE, map.

My only issue is at the drag strip and really flogging her to launch harder and harder, trans slips at launch if I really hammer it, I am not power braking her against the brakes, just tap,tap, shove it thru the floor!!! Trying to get my 60' time under 2 seconds.....

As far as tune changes, that would be Adam / Beebles tricks and tweaks, I would highly recommend contacting him for a tune... Leaves hard, shifts firm and fast!!!

Sorry, she hasn't been on a dyno and havent played with virtual dyno yet........

Chris
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eh-jhey
at 101k, (62k miles) still holding up on GST map and pill (only notable mods). I'll be services in about 1600 miles, so I'll probably do my transmission fluid then.

The only problem I've noticed is a sort of burning rubber smell when I drive a little hard. But I'm pretty sure that's not from the SST
That is actually a common smell from the SST. There is another thread with a lot of people smelling the same thing. I checked with my mechanic who works on Mitsubishi cars and he said nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cjsabaki
Full bolt ons and GST basemaps most of its life, recently had Adam tune up the sst tables due to a little slip when tap launching at the drag strip.
I also had a little slippage with the GST basemap that went away for the most part after I got the car dyno-tuned by Chad at CBRD.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

09 stock Ralliart with 82,000 km (51,000 miles). Bought it at used 41,000 km (25,000 miles) No issues with the SST. Changed the fluid once around 60,000 km (37,000 mile) mark. Just need an ozone generator to get rid of ex-owners smoke smell
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
I also had a little slippage with the GST basemap that went away for the most part after I got the car dyno-tuned by Chad at CBRD.
Yeah, it's all about making the Base Map accessible to as broad a selection of drivers and vehicles as possible. During the v31 Base Map beta testing, we gave equal focus and attention to ALL of the following:

o Good upshift/downshift performance, appropriate for the level of increased torque from GST Base Map.
o Faster SST clutch pressure response to changes in throttle.
o Good on-road driveability and manners (when not hammering it).
o Minimisation of wacky side effects, ie.
- Minimise the tendency for a sloppy 1st-to-2nd upshift
- No shuddering in 4th/5th/6th at 1500rpm in NORMAL/AUTO
- Avoid "ghost" downshifting, where the gear number on dash changes sans shift
- Ensuring downshifts rev-match properly at all times.
- Avoiding the hundred other glitches and gremlins.

It's great if a talented tuner can whip up a custom ECU-side tune for your vehicle, and get the SST working well. In many cases, you can push it a bit harder without coming across the above side-effects. Not all of them pop up on all vehicles, or in all driving modes. Glad you've got good results!

Back on topic, my Ralliart 2009 is now at 72,000km. Owned it since 13,000km, and have inflicted 500+ ECU reflashes on it. Many were for SST-related testing.

SST fluid and filter changed at 20,000km and at 45,000km. OEM fluid.

Have fitted a cooling fan on the SST, with thermal fan control.

Done some track days, and plenty of on-road thrashing.

Never got a SLOW DOWN warning yet. SST has never missed a beat. Still going strong, and feels great.

Rich
Old Dec 27, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

500 flashes . Good lord Rich are you going for a record haha. I bet your SST tables are looking sexy though

Always good to hear about someone pushing the limits and have not broke anything. Thanks for posting that
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My SST tables are as per "Base Map" v31.003. Or is it vice versa?

In any case, I'm using what everyone has!

Rich
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
75K miles (see below for mods)

Occasional SES for P183D. Each time I just reset the SES and good-to-go/no issues...
It seems to happen more during colder weather...

Fluid changed at 60K per manual. It looked good (not like some of the mud i have seen other people drain out :O )

I use sport/manual when i drive (90% of miles) and Lovely Bride uses normal/auto (other 10% of useage).

Quick Reply: How is your sst holding up