Notices

Question about new recall

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my recall today in the mail. Better late than never... but I'm not doing the recall either.
I'm Cobb tuned and haven't had a problem with the car since it did the exact problem the recall takes care of. It went into limp mode while pulling a 5% grade nearby at about 65mph. This happened before I was Cobb tuned and the car only had about 5k miles on it. Don't remember the exact code it flashed but it came back as something with Torque pressure exceeded I think. I pulled over, shut the car off for a few minutes and restarted and it was fine.
I'm now at 53k and no problems since the Cobb tune.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by loges54
Just got my recall today in the mail. Better late than never... but I'm not doing the recall either.
I'm Cobb tuned and haven't had a problem with the car since it did the exact problem the recall takes care of. It went into limp mode while pulling a 5% grade nearby at about 65mph. This happened before I was Cobb tuned and the car only had about 5k miles on it. Don't remember the exact code it flashed but it came back as something with Torque pressure exceeded I think. I pulled over, shut the car off for a few minutes and restarted and it was fine.
I'm now at 53k and no problems since the Cobb tune.

That sounds like the issue it's supposed to fix. It's not anything major, the computer throws a CEL because one of the torque values exceeded the range in the computer. The update just increases the upper limit of the range. Took the dealer 30 minutes to do the update for me. I wouldn't worry about it if you are already tuned.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
To me, this all smells fishy.

I mean, really... Why would Mitsubishi invoke a full RECALL mechanism in response to a rare and technically unimportant CEL? I mean, this is a warning light that means "one of these table values is bigger than another". Whoop de freakin' doo.

So why a full recall and reflash across the board?

Half the Aussie RA ROMs I look at don't have a fixed "transmission overheating" trigger SST temp value. The source input value is just broken, so the high-speed trans temp warning will never, ever happen. No recall for that.

But an obscure CEL that one in a thousand get? A full recall? Hmm.

Where's my tinfoil hat? I need it NOW.

Rich
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got mine in the mail yesterday.
I know I got really scared one morning trying to pass some cars in my commute on a cold morning, I must of hit the rev limiter or over torque and put the car into limp mode.. the car rev limiter was bouncing back and forth from .5 to 1.5k rpms.

My ECU is completely stock (never flashed) and I know the other 4 RA's and a few MR's in the Area have had the same thing happen to them at least once

I'm guessing this has scared enough owners to complain to or bring the car into dealer service stations where the codes prompted to act on it. weather its a PR move to improve there satisfaction or they just needed more time researching a cheap fix that will help them with future SST equipped cars I'm just glad they are finally taking some responsibility.

I'm still on the fence weather I should bring mine in for the flash.. or just flash to GST after I install my wideband this weekend.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^Do the recall before you tune it!

If you have to sell the car - it shows the recall performed...
If you have a warranty isssue - it shows the recall performed...

My $.02
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by neogeo64
I just got mine in the mail yesterday.
I know I got really scared one morning trying to pass some cars in my commute on a cold morning, I must of hit the rev limiter or over torque and put the car into limp mode.. the car rev limiter was bouncing back and forth from .5 to 1.5k rpms.

My ECU is completely stock (never flashed) and I know the other 4 RA's and a few MR's in the Area have had the same thing happen to them at least once

I'm guessing this has scared enough owners to complain to or bring the car into dealer service stations where the codes prompted to act on it. weather its a PR move to improve there satisfaction or they just needed more time researching a cheap fix that will help them with future SST equipped cars I'm just glad they are finally taking some responsibility.

I'm still on the fence weather I should bring mine in for the flash.. or just flash to GST after I install my wideband this weekend.

I had the same thing happen to me on a really cold morning a few weeks ago. I just got the recall flash done this evening.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:02 AM

I have the recall done but i'm wondering if it's safe to flash the GST map again? i.e., are the definition files the same still? The car does drive smoother than i expected from a factory map.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the flash done

i just unmarried my cobb in the parking lot of the dealer, let them reflash it... then re installed my AP

no issues been a few weeks
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone have updated definition files for this recall ROM? Can we make it ourselves somehow?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not currently planning on digging through it to make a full XML def...

Just sayin'.

Rich
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:35 AM

I had the recall done and then flashed the stock boost GST 93 map on it. No problems here.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 05:39 PM

I have recall done about a month ago and i regret . Actually they detune the transmission and my car now run like reg lancer . Don't do it
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
I'm not currently planning on digging through it to make a full XML def...

Just sayin'.

Rich
In the name of science, what's the process?

Dump the ROM and map addresses to functions?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I just disassemble each ROM into a giant text file, load up a "known" one and the new one, and then start pattern/code/table-matching.

Rich
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

If there's anyone that knows how to and is willing to create a new definition file for a USDM 2011 (ROM ID: 56940014) please let me know. I'd like to chip in some money to get updated definitions out.

Quick Reply: Question about new recall