Notices

AEM Oil Pressure Gauge Debug

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge Debug

Hello,

I recently installed an AEM Oil Pressure Gauge 0-100PSI w/Analog Face on my 2009 Ralliart (stock engine). The gauge hasn't been behaving exactly how I expected so I'm posting some of my readings here in hopes that people using similar car/gauge combo can give me some feedback:
  • Voltage reading between the red and black wires was given to be 4.9V. AEM confirms this means the gauge is sending the correct amount of power to your sensor.
  • Voltage reading between the black and green wires was given to be 0.47V. AEM confirms this means the sensor is valid and NOT fouled.
  • During cold starts (I live in Toronto, Ontario) as soon as the engine is turned on the PSI reading jumps to about 100+ psi (i.e. going off the scale) and then the pressure slowly drops as the car warms up. AEM confirms this is pretty typical for cold weather engine start. Anyone else that can confirm this?
  • During regular drives (highway and city combined) the PSI reading fluctuates anywhere between 50 to 80 psi. AEM says typical readings for my car during normal driving conditions should be between 50-70 psi. Getting readings as high as 80 psi is considered a bit unorthodox. Anyone got any insight on this?
  • When the car is running but engine on idle (for example, waiting at a red light) the gauge shows a PSI reading of around 20-25 psi. AEM confirms this is pretty typical as well. Anyone think otherwise?

The other question that I had is that given my engine/readings should I keep the 0-100PSI gauge or replace it with the 0-150PSI gauge? The response I got from AEM was this:

"You could replace it to get specific readings but those reading are not operating readings so they do not and should not matter. Your operating range is a small window as it is, the bigger the range you have the more likely it is to be in-accurate. My suggestion is to keep the 100PSI pressure gauge and let it drop before spirited driving. It is a good failsafe to keep you from prematurely boosting your vehicle or driving it hard when you should be letting it warm up."
Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:06 PM

My oil gauge reads up to 150. My oil pressure starts at 100 when cold, cold. If I tap the gas it will goto 120. I warm it up to 80 before driving. I have the same readings as you. Sometimes my oil dropes to like 20or less kinda weird, but then climbes back between 40-60.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ande1234
My oil gauge reads up to 150. My oil pressure starts at 100 when cold, cold. If I tap the gas it will goto 120. I warm it up to 80 before driving. I have the same readings as you. Sometimes my oil dropes to like 20or less kinda weird, but then climbes back between 40-60.
That's pretty much exactly the same with my car too. I guess that means that reading that I am getting are true.. which is good

Now, should I keep the 0-100 psi gauge or upgrade to the 0-150 psi one? I guess if I should wait till the pressure drops to 80 psi on a cold start before driving off anyways, I should be good sticking with sticking with the 0-100 psi gauge that I have? thoughts?