Notices

Non-starting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non-starting

Hi,
I went out to my car tonight after working 12 hours and it wouldn't start on the first crank, and second crank it took a bit to turn over and start. The car is only 4 months old, it's done this maybe 2-3x and not sure it should of had any issues like this. Just wondering if maybe I did something wrong or something stupid like that I don't wanna get paranoid, thinking maybe bad gas or something.

2014 RA
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has done that several times before as well. Everything checks out and, performance wise, I've done nothing to change from stock other than an aFe hi-flow air filter. Usual suspects checked out, including testing the battery and connections. Let us know if you find anything.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the same issue only two or three times and I heard from a buddy that there may be a recall for the fuel relays or something like that... Could be that however I haven't worried about it too much just yet.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:28 AM

@Rallifast - I was looking into getting a remote start. Living in MD, I am exposed to all 4 seasons and when it's colder I would really love a remote start so my daughter isn't freezing in the morning when I take her to school. How much did you spend on it, and did you install it yourself, or have someone else install it? Any Pros/Cons?

Also.. was it worth it?

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Our cars are known for have fouled spark plugs especially when driven for a short distance (for example, moving your car from the front of our yard into your garage). If it didn't start the during the first crank, do the deflooding mode. On your second crank, step the gas pedal all the way for 3-4 secs then let go of the gas pedal until it starts.

BTW, don't crank more than 15secs.

From my experience, a low charge battery could also do the same. But your car is still new, but you'll never know...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I changed out the FPR relay and have not had that issue since...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:36 AM

Happens here too, I've just recently bought a 2010 ralliart and have noticed if I only move my car a very short distance I.e. driveway to garage or such, when I goto start it later, it cranks for awhile. I was assuming the spark plugs were getting fouled up.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've had this issue too. First time, I had it towed not thinking it could be as simple as the spark plugs being fouled. Second time, I took each spark plug out and cleaned it. Replaced them and it started up.

It only happens when I travel very short distances such as washing the car and putting it back in garage afterwards. Or moving it from garage to driveway. Just let it run for a couple minutes and it won't happen.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem a couple times in the distant past, but I don't think it's happened again since I bought this:
http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...y-package.html
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Well it did it again this morning it took two cranks to get it to start, so made appointment with the dealer let them figure this crap out. Car is too new for this type of crap to happen, so hopefully it's something simple, bad battery connection or fuel relays.
This kind of stuff doesn't instill me with confidence, give me flash backs of my '95 Beretta I bought new, had issues right off the bat(though, it's still running to this day)

Last edited by russ72; Oct 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:37 PM

Same thing with my 2011. I was told it is a bad fuel pump, haven't replaced it, I'm just very careful not to park on an incline or it will not start.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well, you can take the good advice I gave you in post #9 or keep banging your head against the wall. The choice is yours.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well I took car to dealer after 2 hours sitting there they couldn't find any thing wrong, so they keeping it over night, they were on the phone with Mitsubishi when I left. So, I'm hoping to hear an answer tomorrow.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:00 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
Well, you can take the good advice I gave you in post #9 or keep banging your head against the wall. The choice is yours.
Wouldn't the 14's come with the updated relays though?

I did find 2 worn/bad relays on the X. I bought the package as well.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .M.
Wouldn't the 14's come with the updated relays though?

I did find 2 worn/bad relays on the X. I bought the package as well.
I wouldn't count on it. Even if the 14's have slightly improved relays, the Omron relays from SSP are top notch quality and I think they are made here in the U.S.A.

Quick Reply: Non-starting