Notices

SST Failure?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Failure?

This past weekend I was driving my ralliart and all the sudden the service transmission light and check engine light went on and I lost all power (car went into neutral). Anytime I tried taking off it would start moving, then once I around 1.8-2k rpm the clutch felt like it disengaged and would occasionally start grabbing and jerk the car around if I didn't stop immediately.

I had to get the car towed to the nearest mitsu dealership (who can't look at it until next month). The only thing I can see that could be causing this is the fact that over the summer I flashed the TCU to get LC and s-sport. I never used LC and ended up flashing back to the stock software after about a month. Could this have cause it?

Just to add my car also got towed about two weeks ago and I was told they did use dollies, but who knows from a shady tow company. I know improperly towing can **** my diff up, but maybe someone shed some light on the affects on the tranny?

The car is at 29k miles.

Mods:
AMS Boost pill
GST basemap
EvoX IC
GFB Respons BOV
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Coupla' thoughts here...

1. Uhm, don't mention the flash/reflash... in fact, forget it happened, eh?
2. The flash didn't cause any failure.
3. Good thing you are under warranty. Keep all documentation for future reference.
4. "Can't start to work on it until next month?!" Did they give you a loaner? Talk to your salesperson - they are your best ally this point...
5. How many LCs did you do?
6. I assume you shut the car off and then re-started to drive it - did it help?
7. Next time insist on a flatbed tow.

Good luck! I hope takes proper care of you.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Coupla' thoughts here...

1. Uhm, don't mention the flash/reflash... in fact, forget it happened, eh?
2. The flash didn't cause any failure.
3. Good thing you are under warranty. Keep all documentation for future reference.
4. "Can't start to work on it until next month?!" Did they give you a loaner? Talk to your salesperson - they are your best ally this point...
5. How many LCs did you do?
6. I assume you shut the car off and then re-started to drive it - did it help?
7. Next time insist on a flatbed tow.

Good luck! I hope takes proper care of you.
Thanks!

Surprisingly I didn't use LC when I flashed it. Didn't really want to risk a $10k tranny for it. When I restarted it the service light went off, but the issues kept coming up.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some how the LC flash must be related. If you look on the SST only thread a lot of people with transmission failures all seem to have the LC flash. Each one has different mods but people with trans issues all have one thing in common which is the LC flash. Makes me wonder what is going on in the TCU that we do not yet know about. Since the LC flash and TCU programming has not yet been perfected yet and the flash for LC still has its issues one could assume that it is certainly related.

Aside from not saying anything to the dealer about what you had done hopefully they do not run a diagnostic and compare it to factory configurations . My friend had the dealer discover everything had been changed in the ECU and TCU using some kind of comparison that was sent from Mitsubishi involving calibration and percentages, values etc. Thankfully the dealer was cool about it and did not give them hell. Let us know what happens and what the dealer says. Would be curious to know whats going on.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

I have similar issues, you actually just need to reset the transmission. Vasquis did a whole thing on it, it might save the day for you.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DAN123AC
Some how the LC flash must be related. If you look on the SST only thread a lot of people with transmission failures all seem to have the LC flash. Each one has different mods but people with trans issues all have one thing in common which is the LC flash. Makes me wonder what is going on in the TCU that we do not yet know about. Since the LC flash and TCU programming has not yet been perfected yet and the flash for LC still has its issues one could assume that it is certainly related.

Aside from not saying anything to the dealer about what you had done hopefully they do not run a diagnostic and compare it to factory configurations . My friend had the dealer discover everything had been changed in the ECU and TCU using some kind of comparison that was sent from Mitsubishi involving calibration and percentages, values etc. Thankfully the dealer was cool about it and did not give them hell. Let us know what happens and what the dealer says. Would be curious to know whats going on.
That's not exactly true, only a percentage of the Ralliart SST trany issues are even posted in the SST specific forum.

I personally have a stock car all around (except K&N drop in), and am having TC-SST issues at 18K miles. Quite a few RA/MR guys are having them between 18-30K miles with stock setups.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...olding-up.html
Old Oct 4, 2014, 09:18 AM

Just a quick update, they managed to check it out and told me they're going to try changing the fluid and filter since it was completely black (first time changing it in 30k miles). If that doesn't solve it, the rest will be covered by the warranty.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow 30K miles and its already black? I see a lot on forums that it is best to change the fluid after the first 5K. I was going to wait until 100K (been doing 30K intervals) but maybe I should change mine soon. Keep us updated and hopefully a fluid change will fix your issues.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:30 AM

Just got my car back yesterday. The fluid change help it and is driving better than ever. They're not really sure if it was the fluid or not for it to happen that quickly, but it works now and thats all that matters.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad it is working now.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:50 AM

Another update, it did happen again after a 3 hour drive this weekend. I reflashed the TCU(flashed it to the same firmware) as suggested and it working again. Could this be a problem with the TCU or actual unit?

Last edited by SSCN3T; Oct 26, 2014 at 07:56 AM.