Notices

idk whats going on

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idk whats going on

So i did quite a few bolt on mods to the Ralliart. Prior to the additional parts i just got installed i had these...

AEM Intake (+15hp)
Turbosmart BOV (+25hp)
TurboXS turbo-back exhaust
Cobb AccessPort with a Stage 2 flash

i will throw out there i have 84xxx on a 2011 Ralliart. But in the monitoring gauges of the AccessPort..i was only seeing max boost at 11.xx psi. Ive seen videos and posts here on forums of people getting max 14psi. I don't know much about turbos as this is the first vehicle I've ever done serious engine mods too. My first turbo owned vehicle as well.

So the guys at DynoTech Tuning installed the following yesterday

Cobb 3-Port EBCS
Mishimoto Intercooler
Ultimate Racing UICP/LICP (+10-15hp)<---combined with the IC

Now i know when buying aftermarket parts, everyone claims you will see XXhp gains. Most is attainable but i don't rely on getting that right away with out more modifications,proper tuning. But, i did the math and for what those claim as gains, it added up to +55hp. Base hp as most know is 237hp. With what i have done id expect to be at 285-290hp WITH a tune.

They ran the dyno, everything installed and the EBCS would only boost at 10psi. baseline was 180whp. They spoke to Cobb and they said there should be most boost etc etc. They hooked up a manual boost controller and got 14psi of boost. with that boost, they saw about 225-230hp. There is no leaks as they tested for all that. They're going to put in a new controller (manual) tomorrow and tweak it to 18psi sp I'm hoping there will be bigger gains but whats not making sense is how I've lost 60hp from stock. Could this be a result of wear and tare on the turbo or is there a bigger problem? Anyone else had similar experiences?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Boost is power.

10psi boost with a bunch of bolt-ons is about as useful as taking a stock RA and unplugging the 2-port boost controller. Wastegate pressure isn't where you want to be.

18psi boost is about where a stock RA will momentarily boost to (on a coolish day)... not at high RPM - it drops off fast. I have no clue where in the RPM band yours touched 18psi...

...but it indicates a boost control issue, yes. Mechanical, tuning, wiring, piping... something.

They'll track it down quickly, I'm sure.

Rich
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
...and look at some other baseline dynos - the 'advertised' 230HP is at the crank. Dyno measures at the wheels (drivetrain losses mean a lower number always...)

See the GST thread for before and after and to set a target for a good tune. If your tuner can't beat the GST basemap - why are you paying them money?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:14 AM

I figured there would be some loss of HP with a difference of awhp and chp but 60hp? I didn't expect that. That's really what's baffling me at this point. Hopefully they can figure it out
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 11RalliArt_em
I figured there would be some loss of HP with a difference of awhp and chp but 60hp? I didn't expect that. That's really what's baffling me at this point. Hopefully they can figure it out
A stock Ralliart measures around 190-200 whp on a dyno. Once you get your boost issue fixed, with your mods and a good tune, you should be at 260-270whp on a dyno.

As far as "this part = this much hp gain", you will see very little change without a proper tune.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 02:14 PM

I took it to the dyno to have it custom tuned.

The problem he ran into was the ECBS isn't adding any boost with the upgrades after flashing. The car is still running at what the WG puts out (ranges from 9-12psi). Im trying to solve this problem, i was thinking maybe there is no voltage going to the factory harness but i don't know what pin(s) on the edu would control that.

Can anyone give some insight on ways to tackle this issue?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Ever find out what the problem was???
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rralliart09
Ever find out what the problem was???
Nope. I Have to take it to the dealership. I got a fault code for the AWC and I think the code is causing an issue. I've been trying to figure out if my extended warranty will cover this part so it's become a process 😕
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

A boost leak test still wouldn't be a bad idea... also the SST is terrible with power loss. Figure 20% loss is what I've been told. Also, could've sworn the ralliarts, at least the 2009-10's, were at 13.2 psi stock.

Last edited by Ralliart09er; Dec 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ralliart09er
A boost leak test still wouldn't be a bad idea... also the SST is terrible with power loss. Figure 20% loss is what I've been told. Also, could've sworn the ralliarts, at least the 2009-10's, were at 13.2 psi stock.
Yea the shop said they did a boost leak test and there was no leakage.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check the AEM intake

I had the same problem when I installed my AEM intake, actually everyone seems to have this problem.

In the pipe leading from the turbo to the airbox on of the holes is NOT drilled all the way through, hence your boost controlled stock or aftermarket won't know what's going on in the intake...

Take it off drill the whole out and enjoy 24 psi